November 24, 2014, 01:12:47 PM

Author Topic: Beach Vacation in a month... & I'm scared for my gear.  (Read 6649 times)

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
Re: Beach Vacation in a month... & I'm scared for my gear.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 09:24:38 PM »
Leave your camera in the room and have a splash around with your kid. I'm sure she'd like that more than being your model.

Some things are more important than taking photos.

Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 09:24:38 PM »

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 09:35:42 PM »
Since 30 years I have carried my stuff nearly everywhere.
Beaches, mountains, small planes, sailing boats. Never felt unsecure, just thought a few seconds about safety (belt wrapped around my hand, will there be drops of salty water...), but then you should forget this and simply make pictures.
Never had a problem.

Sounds like an advertisment, but: just do it!

1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III,
Fuji X- E2, XF 23 1,4, XF 18- 55 2,8-4

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
I've just brought it - having it with is more fun than not.   

(With that said, I have contemplated an Outex cover a couple of times.   http://outex.com/ )
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »
Depends on the beach and climate I would say.  Beaches with thicker sand are really no problem.  It's that powdery fine sand in windy climates that can get nasty.  I would recommend to stick a UV filter (or maybe even a circular polarizer) on your lens, and then bring a few plastic or ziplock bags that you can stick your equipment in when not in use.  Yeah, some people say the camera is made for taking pictures, and they are right, but if you don't have tons of money, you still have to worry about your expensive equipment that you saved up for.  There's nothing wrong with trying to minimize damage.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 10:10:40 PM »
My gear goes with me everywhere..... including canoe trips. If I am going somewhere "safe", I use an ordinary camera bag. If I am going somewhere a bit riskier, I bring the gear in a pelican case.... keeps it very safe when not in my hands. It also makes a fairly indestructable travel case.

The 60D is semi-sealed. Ive used mine in all weather for many years and never a problem.
The best camera is the one in your hands

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »
I have a similar trip planned and will be down in the sand working to photograph endangered nesting birds.  I dont plan on changing lenses outside unless it's DEAD calm and that's usually never the case on a beach.

Canon does offer a cleaning service which is relatively inexpensive.  If you are concerned about sand contamination, you can always send your gear to Canon for a full cleaning when you get back.  Dont feel that your gear would be ruined if you plopped it in the sand accidentally.

If you are reasonably careful with making sure you have brushed the sand off of the joint between lens and camera, you should not have any problems.  Avoid cleaning the front lens element if you can or use a UV filter on the front (a sacrificial lamb).  You can unscrew it and wash it under the sink with soap and water if it gets salt haze built up on it.

Enjoy your trip and dont worry about your gear.  It's why we own Canon!

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
I've owned DSLRs for about a decade, and have taken many many photos at the beach. Generally I don't hesitate to change lenses at the beach, but if it's windy I refrain from doing this (or I go to the nearest non-sandy area, eg walk 50 metres away from the sand of the beach). I do not try not to change lens too often, on the beach - but never at ground level, nor when sitting down (as sand is more likely to get pick up / kicked up at that level). So usually I do a change with the body hanging off my neck.   ;)

Having grown up in Australia and then spending about a decade in Europe, also visting various beaches when I lived there - and eg going on holidays to Thailand 3 years ago, I have taken my DSLR gear (and prior to that my P&S camera/s) with me wherever I go.  Sand possibly did get into (or 'along the barrel of') one of my Fuji P&S cameras - that may have have caused issued (but I had taken over 100,000 shots with it, so that's not bad).

I found more issues with going from very cold conditions (eg below -20 outside) in Romania - to inside conditions (causing the lenses to humidify / 'fog up') was more annoying, and as others have stated, could possibly present more issues.  I had the same condensation issue (but with less severity) in the tropics (even when it's been the off-peak / humid season).    ???

I enjoy taking photos at the beach - and I love swimming, walking at the beach. So I have taken my DSLR cameras to the beach hundreds of times. When there is a small risk of me actually falling in the water (eg wading in water with waves) I use my older DSLR body / lens combination eg Canon 350D with 18-55mm kit lens, rather than my Canon 7D with 15-85mm.

Certainly do be careful changing lenses... but if you are careful - you should be right. I would also say that having an 'air-rocket' to blow away dust, sand particles, and also a soft (eg micro-fibre) cloth to hand - but away from sand itself, to wipe away any sand, dust, etc - is handy. 

Best wishes - and yes, do enjoy your holiday (not just the photography side of it).  8)

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 11:01:42 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I'm thinking I'll get a flexible plastic bag and fasten the end with a rubber band.  So everything but the lens is not exposed.  So I'll have to adjust the settings in advance, but then I won't have to worry about sand getting between the grooves and into the motor. 

I'm feeling more confident... I just have to find some strong but flexible clear plastic that will zip up into a sand resistant bag.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »
If you're going to go the plastic bag route, I would use one of these instead of a generic plastic bag. They're cheap and you can re-use them, plus if you don't mind having the bottom portion open then you can still control the camera. I use them when I'm going to be out in the rain for a while.

FWIW I've used my 60D/5D2 on the beach (without protection) and have had no issues. I'll be using my 5D3 this week - I won't bother with the sleeves unless the weather is really bad. Everything will be in a Lowepro AW bag (with the cover on it) when not in use.

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Rainsleeve-18-Inch/dp/B000PTFDYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369061853&sr=8-1&keywords=optech+rainsleeve

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Rainsleeve-14-Inch/dp/B002TI71HQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369061853&sr=8-2&keywords=optech+rainsleeve

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »
If you're going to go the plastic bag route, I would use one of these instead of a generic plastic bag. They're cheap and you can re-use them, plus if you don't mind having the bottom portion open then you can still control the camera. I use them when I'm going to be out in the rain for a while.

FWIW I've used my 60D/5D2 on the beach (without protection) and have had no issues. I'll be using my 5D3 this week - I won't bother with the sleeves unless the weather is really bad. Everything will be in a Lowepro AW bag (with the cover on it) when not in use.

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Rainsleeve-18-Inch/dp/B000PTFDYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369061853&sr=8-1&keywords=optech+rainsleeve

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Rainsleeve-14-Inch/dp/B002TI71HQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369061853&sr=8-2&keywords=optech+rainsleeve

I second the rain sleeves from Op-Tech. They're not expensive, and they are shaped to a camera's form better than a plastic bag.

I gave one a workout yesterday with my gripped 7D plus 100-400L. It kept everything nice and dry, even when my hood was channeling water onto it.

My only complaint is the drawstring closure. Between that, the slippery plastic and my lens hood, the front kept sliding backwards. Maybe I should get another "BGN" hood from KEH, and lay down a bead of silicone to keep that from happening...
Canon 7D

Hardwire

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 11:43:30 AM »
Care is all that is required. We had a beach holiday in the Maldives and I took the 5dii and 24-105 (with a few others) but found that I was able to get by with just that one work horse lens....sure its not the best but it suits for a holiday and had the 70-300 and 50 1.4 in the bag for when required.

On the beach, as others have said...turn so your back to the wind when changing lens, keep the body face down and you will generally be fine.

In terms of going near the water...accept that at some point everything will break or get damage and dont let it hold you back...like the attached shot where I (for only the second time) gave her my camera to get a shot of me and we were neck deep in the sea!

Care and caution, not regret for missing out
Canon 5D3 | 24-70mm f/2.8 mk II L | 70-200mm f/2.8 L | 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 600 RT | Kenko Ext Tubes

Dantana

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »
I used to have these same kind of reservations, but then at some point realized that there was no point in having the camera if I wasn't going to take it anywhere.

I bought my current Canon body before a trip to Hawaii and it did take me a bit to get confident in using it all the time.

Last year I went on a trip to Cabo, and thought about it much less. I had it with me pretty much everywhere. I didn't have any big sand issues, but I almost had a major water issue. We went out for a day of shopping in town which was quite a ways from our hotel. I took only my camera and one lens, which is usually how I like to explore, make the lens decision based on where we are going and then make it work. There was an impromptu group decision to take a boat ride out to the arch at Lands End where the Pacific meets the Sea of Cortez. The boat was small and it was pretty rocky, lots of spray, but everything was going okay, got some really nice shots. The problem came when we got back and the boat landed on the beach, not a dock like where we started. A friend had offered to put my camera in her bag (not waterproof) for a bit of protection as I hadn't brought anything along (bad idea), and as she was jumping from the boat onto the sand she slipped, luckily landing on her backside and holding her bag up and out of harms way.

If it had gotten dunked, the fault would of course had been mine for not being prepared. I had a nice small drybag sitting in the hotel that would have been perfect and quite easy to take along in cargo shorts or a lightweight bag, and now I plan to always have it around when water is even a remote possibility. It's not one of those huge bulky dive bags but one of the smaller ones that rolls up into a very small package. I'd think about picking one up if boats or anything similar are a possibility.
6D, 20 2.8, 35 2.0, 40 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 24-105 4L, 2x III, Speedlite 430EX II, Rokinon 14 2.8

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »
I've just brought it - having it with is more fun than not.   

(With that said, I have contemplated an Outex cover a couple of times.   http://outex.com/ )

wow, the Outex things looked interesting...till I realized you can't see the LCD screen or the back screen.

I'd guess about your only option with that on would be to shoot in full auto since you'd not be able to see to change your settings?

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 11:50:24 AM »
The last time I went to the beach, I had a Sony point and shoot ($200) and I had no fear.  I was taking pictures while the water was up to my knees with my daughter splashing around. 

And now that I have a 60D which might be a 5d mkiii by the time we are beach bound, a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS mkii, a 24-105mm, and a bunch of other lenses.  And one grain of sand is all it takes to screw things up. 

So... what do yall suggest?  I will absolutely avoid changes the lenses outside... and I will absolutely not leave my gear on the sand or even on a blanket that might have sand on it... but is it worth the risk to even take it out of the hotel?  Should I rent a body/lens and let the guys at Borrow lenses remove the sand from the motor? 

I was thinking of stupid ideas like wrapping saran wrap around the lens and body and then just treating the lens like it was a prime... but that doesn't really seem reasonable. 

I should have agreed to go to Disney again.

Another Sony P&S

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 11:50:24 AM »