July 26, 2014, 11:57:37 AM

Author Topic: remote shooting  (Read 4227 times)

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
remote shooting
« on: June 07, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »
can anyone advice me on the capabilities of the rc-6  ir remote control. i want to set up my camera around the garden and take shots of birds, foxes , put it up trees etc ( i havnt got any super long lenses) so itll be like a camera trap but ill be controlling when it fires.

i have a 6d but sadly i have a windows phone (no canon app)  and i dont own a laptop (my desktop pc is not close to the garden and not possible to move), so the wifi/tethered options are a no go. 

my options are , buy android phone/get alaptop (expensive ) or another remote 

is the rc-6 anygood for a budget option, is it something that  i could work around its limitations, or is there another relatively cheap option i could go for. considering my gardens not huge but might want to work at 20 meteres

canon rumors FORUM

remote shooting
« on: June 07, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: remote shooting
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 10:08:22 AM »
RC-6 is IR line of sight - you'd need to be facing the front of your camera for it to work.

There are a variety of relatively inexpensive RF triggers, here's one example.  For a bit more, you can get intervalometer functionality (for time lapse) added to the RF trigger, e.g. this one.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

anthonyd

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »
I don't know anything about the rc-6, but I've used the YongNuo RF-603 which is RF (instead of IR) and it works wonders.  Also, each unit is a "transceiver" which means you don't have to worry which one goes where and you can combine multiple (in the future) to fire camera(s) and flashes from anywhere.

On a separate note, if all you want to do is birds and animals and you want to stay low budget, look into Magic Lantern.  It's a software solution (a firmware addon) that runs on your camera and has the capability to fire the camera upon detecting a large change in front of the sensor.  So you can position your camera where you want it, enable this function, drop some bread crumbs in front of it and wait!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:25:19 AM by anthonyd »

lion rock

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 11:48:28 AM »
There are two remote options I have:
i)  CamRanger, it does use WiFi and range is 150 feet or better, http://www.camranger.com/.  Windows beta version may be available on request.  Interfaces excellently with iPAD4.  Hope you can give it a try.
ii) Triggertrap, https://triggertrap.com/, interfaces with iPad, Android or Windows systems.  With iPAD, it has a function that triggers the camera with "motion sensitive" mode, as well as a number of other functions.  This unit is open-sourced, allowing you to add more hardware/software functions to do more things.  Review the product online.
Enjoy your shooting!
-r

Skirball

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »
If those programs don't work I'd second Anthony's post and get an RF602 or 603.  I use my 602s all the time when my line of sight remote doesn’t work – and I have a 6D and a smartphone, I just find the radio triggers to be quicker and easier.  602s are like $25 for a set on Amazon, and it doubles for off-camera flash.

The 602 transmitter is a little smaller, and the receivers have a 1/4" mount for light stands, which I really like.  The 603 has a universal transceiver, and doesn’t rely on specialty batteries (the 602 transmitter requires a CR2 lithium.  They last forever, but it’s still annoying).

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »
There are also active USB extension cables that would allow you to use your computer for tethered shooting from much further away.....

The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »