November 20, 2014, 04:43:36 PM

Author Topic: How many people actually like the EOS-M?  (Read 14805 times)

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: How many people actually like the EOS-M?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 02:55:16 AM »
I was planning on purchasing from B&H. They have it listed for $479 with 4% rewards. However, I found a place through Google shopping called "42nd Street Photo" that has it listed for $438. Are these guys legitimate, or is this grey market stuff with no warranty? They seem to have good reviews on ResellerRatings.com
When you say "legitimate", are you referring to them being Canon Authorized Dealer? if yes, no they are not Canon Authorized Dealer as per the attached list released by Canon on 3rd June 2013.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:57:08 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 02:55:16 AM »

Rofflesaurrr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 04:25:23 AM »
I was planning on purchasing from B&H. They have it listed for $479 with 4% rewards. However, I found a place through Google shopping called "42nd Street Photo" that has it listed for $438. Are these guys legitimate, or is this grey market stuff with no warranty? They seem to have good reviews on ResellerRatings.com
When you say "legitimate", are you referring to them being Canon Authorized Dealer? if yes, no they are not Canon Authorized Dealer as per the attached list released by Canon on 3rd June 2013.

Thanks for that list. I'll be sure to avoid them and go with B&H.

nubu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 04:45:58 AM »
I like it a lot! I have the 18-55, the 22 and the EF adapter (and soon the 11-22). It is a great complement to my 5DIII and 7D which I use mostly with longer lenses for wildlife and for having a camera with me all the time. The resulting pics are slightly better then those from the 7D when using same lenses and settings (and using DPP to develop and apply lens corrections).  The "focus problem" is a no issue for me since I only use single point and single shoot which works fine even under low light if there is any contrast to find - if not focus/recompose. The screen is fantastic and operation very quick afer a short period of learning the small differences to my other cams...

I think most of the persons that complain don't have the camera or used it only in "green mode" in a shop....
5DII/III,7D,400D,m|EF14/2.8LII,EF24/1.4LII,EF35/1.4L,EF40/2.8,EF50/1.4,MPE65/2.8,EF85/1.2L,EF100/2.8LIS,EF135/2L,EF200/2.8L,EF300/2.8LIS,EF500/4LIS,Zeiss500/8,EF1.4xIII,EF2xIII,EF8-15/4L,EFS17-55/2.8IS,EFS18-55/3.5-IS,EF24-105/4,allEFM

Ivan Muller

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 06:05:11 AM »
I have it and I think its a great backup camera to my 5d and have even shot a couple of commercial jobs with it.
For the price and size it makes a perfect backup and takes up little space in a bag.
Aps-c complements full frame nicely as it gives one a different focal length option..ie my 24 ts becomes a 38mm TS on the Eos M
Lack of viewfinder is bad but in 'camera on tripod' situations the live view works well, so good for architecture, interiors studio etc.
Add an optical viewfinder ( I use the Leica one) with the 22mm and it becomes as good as anything out there except the slow af under certain conditions.
Hopefully the firmware update promised at the end of the month will improve matters.
I also have a Leica X1 and the Eos M is competitive on all fronts at 1/3rd of the price.
Really very small and build well, I have already dropped mine and works perfectly still
Is a great walkabout camera and in 'auto everything' mode works superbly well. In fact I think the best way to use this camera is in these auto modes as I have a sneaky suspicion that that's were the camera functions optimally. Go manual and it becomes more difficult. Having said that I use it with a stop down Mf mamiya lens via the adapter and it s pretty easy and convenient. As is using it with the 24ts from Canon.
I think its just going to get better and better and the only serious drawback is the AF and 'AF hunting', but I wouldn't call it horrible....perhaps the firmware update will sort out these problems.
As a backup or supplement it makes a lot of sense and 'normal' EF lenses work well.
As an only or first camera, well there it becomes more difficult and there are some compelling alternatives out there...but the Canon lenses seem to be better than the competition, certainly my 22f2 is a gem and apart from the CA, easily corrected, it is superb...

I have written a couple of reviews on this camera that can be found here at...http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/2013/05/eos-m-reviewhigh-iso-noise-tests.html

I image shown here and the crop was made at a jazz concert with the 70-300L at 5000ISO....

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »
I like the idea of the M, I just didn't care for the implementation of it. + it's a first gen product.

Rofflesaurrr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
Ivan, those photos look great. I actually just read your review last night and it helped finalize my decision. Thanks.

yakman

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Vincent's blog
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 04:34:22 AM »
Bought and like it.

1. For current price, can hardly find another one better. Especially for Canon EOS users as backup or travel kit.
2. AF not as bad as some reviewer said. A new firmware coming.
3. Lenses, 18-55, 22 are among the best in class, 11-22 coming soon. Adaptor to EF lenses with full functionality.

The EOS M body itself is not as good as Sony Nex 7 or Olympus OM D. But it costs only a fraction of those. You can update when EOS M Mark II or III out.
EOS 70D 18-55 STM IS/ Sigma 50 F1.4/ 70-200 F4L IS/ 580EX II
EOS M 11-22 STM IS/ 18-55 STM IS/ 22 F2/ 40 2.8/ 90EX/ EF EOS-M adaptor
http://vincent4wang.wordpress.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 04:34:22 AM »

scrup

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Free Hosting
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
I just got my M this week and will take it out this weekend for a spin.

I was pleasantly surprised with the build quality especially with the kit lens. I was expecting something more along the lines of the rebel series.

My first impressions here: http://trung.tran.com.au/eos-m-unboxing/

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:56:51 PM by scrup »

bluenoser1993

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »
My Wife loves hers.  She complained when she tried to use my 7D and commented that she would rather take pictures with her iPhone.  As soon as I heard that comment I knew I had the perfect Christmas present.  Bought it close to full price and don't regret it, as she has taken lots of shots of the kids that I would never have seen otherwise (I work away and would have missed the moments).  We both had our cameras while on vacation this winter and I have to say some of the pictures she got were nicer than what I did.

alejmr

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 05:25:56 PM »
Love this little toy, the IQ is amazing!

clicker150

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 06:37:32 PM »
I just got mine few days ago and I love this little thing. I've always ignored this camera due the so so reviews and the AF being too slow, lack of VF plus the price was kinda high, but with the recent price drop I decided to give it a shot, and I'm so glad I did. The IQ of this little gem is outstanding IMO. It compliments my 6D very well.
Enjoy your M everyone  :D

castillophotodesign

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 07:05:11 PM »
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. I bought it as a successor to my 30D.  My opinion?

- Autofocus - I'll deal with this first. If you're experienced with a DSLR you quickly learn how to work around the M's limitations in that department. I shoot my daughters sports (equestrian, soccer, etc..  ) and I'm getting better pictures out of the M than I did with the 30D. Read the manual, or, there's a very good YouTube video out there explaining the workaround.

- Buttons/Menu - Again, if your experienced shooting in manual, or AV mode, with a Canon DSLR, it is really easy to use the touch screen menu. I find it just as easy... in a different way. For those having problems - Read The Instructions for God's sake!  I think that a beginner might find the touch-screen menu a bit overwhelming. One drawback is the body is so small that it is easy to accidentally change settings just by holding the camera.

- Viewfinder - Personally I don't miss my dim 30D viewfinder, and on the M I can pinch-to-zoom with the viewfinder to fine-tune manual focus, which is an amazing feature once you try it.  The LCD screen brightness can be boosted to make shooting in the sunlight better.

- Lenses - I've got an investment in 'L' glass, so I bought the EF lens adapter. I don't notice any autofocus difference between the native lens (17-55 kit lens) and the EF70-200L, or the EF-135L. If I didn't already have the EF lenses though, I doubt I would have purchased the M.

- Picture Quality - I get the picture quality of a 60D/7D for a fraction of the price (499 $CAD with the 17-55 IS kit lens and flash). What's not to like.  Noise reduction at high ISO is very good.

- Battery - I admit it. Battery life sucks. Especially since you have to crank up the LCD brightness when outdoors. You have to get a second battery.

The more I use the M the more I like it. Yea, the autofocus is slow, but actually it is almost on par with my old 30D. I love the small size, low weight, of the M.  With the 70-200 attached, it handles wonderfully by holding by cradling the lens. It balances perfectly - better than the 30D.

If the firware speeds up autofocus, it will be perfect!

can you please share the link to the youtube video that show the work around for the AF of the eos m? thank you!
Canon 5D Mark III & Canon EOS M
100mm Macro F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L IS II, 24-70 F2.8L II, Canon 100-400L, Canon 16-35 F2.8 L II, TC 1.4X, TC 2X

Dantana

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 07:32:50 PM »
There's a good price on a couple different configurations in the latest Fry's ad. $349 with the 22, $399 with the zoom, in store only I believe:
http://www.frys.com/ads/page20#AdNavi
6D, 20 2.8, 35 2.0, 40 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 24-105 4L, 2x III, Speedlite 430EX II, Rokinon 14 2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 07:32:50 PM »

castillophotodesign

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 09:47:04 PM »
like a lot of us I dismissed this camera because of all the bad reviews. I found one for a very good price and I had heard about the upcoming firmware update, so I bought one. I must say that even though I own a 5D III with a lot of L's, I am very happy with the camera. Here is a shot i took with the 22mm lens and the EOS M totally wide open at f2

Ferrari - Wynwood by CastilloPhotoDesign, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:29:55 PM by castillophotodesign »
Canon 5D Mark III & Canon EOS M
100mm Macro F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L IS II, 24-70 F2.8L II, Canon 100-400L, Canon 16-35 F2.8 L II, TC 1.4X, TC 2X

tallrob

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 04:20:57 AM »
The EOS M is a great camera that was a bit rushed out the door and slightly flawed in its current state, but a lot of camera for the money, amazing IQ - and that's what matters, right?  That's it in a nutshell.  BUT, the story surrounding it is much more dramatic. It reminded me at first of an Apple product release.  It was much anticipated for several years, and the imaginary hype of a Canon mirrorless offering grew so big and tense that the actual product couldn't have possibly lived up to it.  So when it arrived on the market, a few critics panned it, a few praised it, but most criticized it based on specs and inflated bad reviews made by bloggers who gave it all of twenty minutes in their hands.  Most people who bought one and learned to use it absolutely LOVE it.  It takes some time to learn the necessarily compact interface and handling.

I have only two real complaints, the sometimes slow AF, and the tedious trip to the menus when I want to switch to manual focus.  Oh, and maybe battery life, but what do you expect with all it has going on.  Just carry a spare or two.  No big deal.

Btw, Magic Lantern is almost stable on the M, and wow, is it amazing.  Focus peaking alone is a godsend.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:53:21 AM by tallrob »
So I bought an EOS M and a 6D - I love the black sheep!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 04:20:57 AM »