July 30, 2014, 12:04:59 AM

Poll

How will you be upgrading to LR5

Buy perpetual LR5 licence now
65 (63.7%)
Pay for Creative Cloud now
7 (6.9%)
Hold off upgrading LR in case adobe releases new CC price package for LR&PS users
6 (5.9%)
Hold off upgrading LR until PS with a solid/must have feature is released
10 (9.8%)
Hold off upgrading hoping PS&LR perpetual licensing becomes an option
14 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Adobe LR5 Released, how are you upgrading/buying?  (Read 13286 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe LR5 Released, how are you upgrading/buying?
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2013, 09:56:50 PM »
Tie the subscription model in to the OS compatibility and the processor capability and they don't actually have to come out with anything new indefinitely, but the subscriber must keep paying.

Hence my way of defeating this for quite some time to come.  VMWare/Parallels.

Just create a VM (Virtual Machine) and you can freeze the OS to any version you like, to run any software you need that version for....in perpetuity.

With hardware gettng cheap...CPU, GPU and RAM and HD space...running one or more VM's at the same time isn't much a drag on most systems.

Right now, I'm testing on my macbookpro (late 2011), running Win7 64-bit on VMware with Adobe PS....and soon other apps from the Adobe 30 day trial just to make sure I have enough ram, dedicated to the Win7VM.

So far so good. I have a total of 16GB on my mac, which I've heard I can upgrade to 32GB which I may do. With that and multi-core use of the i7 processor....I don't expect a hiccup of Adobe CS6 Production Suite when I buy it soon with Educational pricing on the thing and it won't ever wear out with reference to hardware or OS, which I can simulate as long as I want going forward.

Something to think about.

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2013, 09:56:50 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2013, 10:33:42 PM »
There is absolutely no need to create a VM if you are using Apples and are worried about future compatibility, my comment was directed more at heavyweight pro software users (not even most pro photographers) who do manage to see the time cost benefits of the fastest processors when they become available.

For more normal users Apples can boot almost anything post Intel processors, I happily run from USB sticks containing a complete OS and drivers when I want to, you can still run Rosetta and any ancient driver on a brand new Apple, I do for an old scanner I have. Second, photography is important enough to me to have a dedicated computer just for my images, I can keep that computer with CS6, LR4/5 and all the other image related software completely isolated from anything, even the internet. Heck a decent Mac Mini is a few hundred dollars and can keep your current software running indefinitely. Third, I used to run a VM and Parallels and it isn't worth the effort or performance hit, but I told you that in the thread you started about doing it.

I have been waiting for the Mac Pro announcement to see what the future brought, the smart answer, for Apple users like me and most other CC avoiders, is to get a current Mac Pro via refurbished or end of line, upgrade them as needed for pennies and they will run for years. The only "issue", eventually, might be running current versions of LR to keep up with new cameras RAW files if you don't want to do the free DNG thing.

The Chicken Lickin' hysteria that has surrounded the various Adobe announcements really is quite amusing. They can't come into your house and stop you using what you have already, what you have today will, for 90%+ people, work for a few years at least, the scene could well look very different at that time.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2013, 10:52:06 PM »
There is absolutely no need to create a VM if you are using Apples and are worried about future compatibility, my comment was directed more at heavyweight pro software users (not even most pro photographers) who do manage to see the time cost benefits of the fastest processors when they become available.

For more normal users Apples can boot almost anything post Intel processors, I happily run from USB sticks containing a complete OS and drivers when I want to, you can still run Rosetta and any ancient driver on a brand new Apple, I do for an old scanner I have. Second, photography is important enough to me to have a dedicated computer just for my images, I can keep that computer with CS6, LR4/5 and all the other image related software completely isolated from anything, even the internet. Heck a decent Mac Mini is a few hundred dollars and can keep your current software running indefinitely. Third, I used to run a VM and Parallels and it isn't worth the effort or performance hit, but I told you that in the thread you started about doing it.

I have been waiting for the Mac Pro announcement to see what the future brought, the smart answer, for Apple users like me and most other CC avoiders, is to get a current Mac Pro via refurbished or end of line, upgrade them as needed for pennies and they will run for years. The only "issue", eventually, might be running current versions of LR to keep up with new cameras RAW files if you don't want to do the free DNG thing.

The Chicken Lickin' hysteria that has surrounded the various Adobe announcements really is quite amusing. They can't come into your house and stop you using what you have already, what you have today will, for 90%+ people, work for a few years at least, the scene could well look very different at that time.

I"m not so sure.

I've run into problems in the past on my older mac...when the OS was upgraded to a point to where it would no longer run some of my applications. I'm worried that at some point, upgrades to OSX might break compatibility with CS6 applications. By running a VM, I can control the OS version...yet still have my OSX stuff running (at the same time which is nice vs trying multi-boot options).

I suppose I 'could' get the OSX version of CS6....but make sure that I get installable versions or a snapshot of my current version of OSX, and I could run that in a VM....which would guarantee that to work....

Hmm....decisions decisions.

C

boggy4062

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2013, 01:21:59 AM »
I'm not upgrading.    I finally learned how to use four...

I'll probably upgrade my monitor before my software.

That's silly. I am not a big Adobe fan, but upgrade to LH 5 buys much quicker environment (LH4 simply sucks in comparison to LH3 for speed), and few very nice improvements:book creation, new healing brush, etc .... that is worth $79 upgrade... IMHO.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2013, 03:44:22 AM »
That's silly. I am not a big Adobe fan, but upgrade to LH 5 buys much quicker environment (LH4 simply sucks in comparison to LH3 for speed) ...

pure speculation!Or do you have hard data showing LR 5 really is faster than LR 4?
I do not expect LR 5 to be faster when e.g. batch exporting a stack of 300 pics from RAW to jpg.

All in all LR 5 is a very minor update. No really new functions. Everything can be done in LR 4 just as well. Possibly some time savings for easy-to-fix standard tasks - e.g. upright tool.

Improved slide show and photo books ... well a few may like that. I have not once used those 2 modules in 4+ years of LR usage.

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »
I'm not upgrading.    I finally learned how to use four...

if you upgrade from Lighroom 4 to 5 you will have to adept as much as if you upgrade from an Eos 600d to a 700d

Still I was stupid enaugh to do it.

Refering to a different comment:

I upgraded from LR 3 to 4 and the Version 4 replacedVersion 3 however the upgrade to 5 went different. LR5 asked me if I want to migrate my catalogs but left the Version 4 on the System (Windows)

LR 5 is faster than 4 however I had some issues withthe nIK collection after the upgrade

regards

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2013, 03:41:10 AM »
LR 5 is faster than 4 however I had some issues withthe nIK collection after the upgrade
What issues do you have with the NIK collection in LR5?
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2013, 03:41:10 AM »

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »

Subscription based licensing is where most software will be headed. It reduces overhead costs (big reason) and allows a company to apply for a "Green" waste reduction credit on their taxes (small amount) by not selling a boxed version and not producing a large amount of waste in terms of packaging.

Overhead costs of a company are none of my concern. If a company can't manage their income & expense's, no amount of money will fix that. Infact, all it will lead to is price gouging in the future.

Now online only download .exe's for install is a good idea, no more packaging.

If you use their product it should be your concern as a consumer buying and using their product. If they cant manage their income and expenses I am not sure how money (which is derived from that) will make any difference. That result is form poor management and accounting which adobe does not have.

They are trying to prevent Piracy (which, in fact they are increasing) with the current model. Either way, $600/yr for software that would cost me and my GF close to $4500 every update cycle is very nice.

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »
I just upgraded from 3, by installing the "try pay later" method.   quite painless;   it found my LR3 catalog, converted and imported everthing into the one.  FYI I avoided the LR4 upgrade deliberately because the cost/benefit wasn't quite there for me, and because of the performance comments. 

I find that on my core i7 machine  running throttlestop (this keeps the "hp support assistant" from throttling back the CPU. don't ask me why they do this irritating thing), that LR5 performs well.  the HDR effects pro plugin works ("export to"); haven't yet tried the others. i.e. dfine ("edit it"0. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »