July 31, 2014, 11:35:42 AM

Author Topic: banning people for nothing at canon rumors  (Read 28803 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: banning people for nothing at canon rumors
« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
Personally I outgrew video games by about age 15.  But these days, it seems there is a generation who is so narcissistic that they will never grow up.  And they expect you to be happy about that, and to bow to their whims and their willful ignorance of the people and world around them.  I guess that's why so many college grads these days aren't getting hired to do the type of work they expect.  They feel so entitled that they will never learn the meaning of respect, and are happy to tap away at their iPhones even during a job interview...Why?  Well, it's because they are the most important generation in the history of the world.  Haven't you heard?  That's how their parents and the current culture raised them.  It's time for change.

I'm 21. I'm most certainly part of this "narcissistic" generation that you're talking about. I don't know what generation you're from, how old you are, or what kind of esteem you hold yourself to. But I will say this: our generation is not responsible for this "behavior" that you speak of. People don't pull their phones out during interviews. Not the people I know. If you've personally experienced this, then I can only advise you to screen such applicants more stringently in the future. People who do that shouldn't be interviewing in the first place.

I still haven't outgrown video games. I never will. As a software developer and amateur photographer, I see video games as another medium of art. It's more than just first person shooters. There are stories being told, art being drawn, scenes being crafted. Your comments make it seem like in order to be respectful, selfless people in the world, we all have to grow up. You're wrong. It's about educating the younger generation. It's about setting examples. Kids can be respectful. Adults can be disrespectful.

What did you do to be banned? I don't want to know your answer. Unless you immediately assume that the moderator is a member of my generation or simply not a member of yours, please don't blame us for things like forum moderating, banning, or general "rudeness".

We don't expect anything from anyone. And it's not a result of us being in a "me" generation. It's a result of us being in a place and time where humans are so focused on digital and social networks. There's a disconnect between reality and interpersonal relationships. And it's not limited to my generation. I'd go on explaining that last, and most significant point, but I'd be thread-crapping and thread-jacking an already nutty thread.

You doth protest too much.  Being 21 does not make you special.  Don't be too sure about what you "never will" or will not do.  You have no idea what will happen in your future, or how long your life will be.  And it's not your duty to defend your generation, nor to speak for them.  So why are you trying to?  Nobody singled you out.

Frankly, the problem is not even limited to early 20-somethings anyway.  I would extend the age higher than that.  I suppose 27 sounds about right, since it's a scientific fact that the human brain doesn't finish developing until then.

The phones out during job interviews, was a widely circulated news story.  Google it.  Many of the job applicants who have done it, apparently had graduated from ivy league schools mostly in the northeast USA, and were applying for high paying entry level positions in corporate America.  The reporters who told the story, had experienced the phenomenon themselves, and commented on it also.  Some of them were in the business world as well, because some of the business news shows I watch, covered it.

I don't care if none of the people you know, do the above.  Obviously it's a widespread problem.  I know plenty of people your age.  They could not go 1 hour without texting someone, or browsing something on their phone, or else playing a game on it, or watching tv on it.  They have succumbed to a technology that is addictive, that's all.  They've let themselves believe that it validates their existence.  They lack the will power to go out into life and experience it, to live in the moment.  The technology has enslaved them.  They're happy to whip that 5 inch screen out bright as a search light during movies, too...and just dare anyone to go get the usher to throw them out.  Why?  Because they're more important than the rest of us.  Being young and stupid equals being important to them.

To deal with people face to face, to talk with them, is more important than texting them.  We are not made of software and living in cyberspace, without bodies.  We have bodies, and our lives have a purpose.  Human life is not cheap.   

I agree that there is art and creativity in the world of gaming.  It's a huge business which I would be happy to profit from.  But again, for me personally, I prefer to be entertained passively.  If I want to be an active participant in something, I prefer it not be a "sim" of some kind.  Why?  Well, because it feels meaningless...like I'm not doing anything special.  Like I'm following the herd, and doing something that is easier than the real activity it is mimicking.  Is there really anything special about a "hard core gamer"?

Another thing I don't like about the younger generation (speaking in angry old man voice now!)...is the need to achieve some kind of fame.  The need for public validation.  That need, implies you think you are superior in some way, because you think the world needs to see you.  Reality check needed there!  Stop posting lame videos of yourselves on youtube.  You just look stupid.  Stop following fads like "the harlem shake", etc...very lame.  You're annoying the rest of us.  Stop blasting booming car stereos...you have no musical taste, and have ruined your hearing.  I like loud music at times myself, but if it's all one note of booming bass, it sounds like dogcrap.  Learn how to listen to music properly...learn what "flat system response" is...and without making a peacock out of yourself at traffic lights.   

I try to do as many of those things that I can, which they make video games about.  I much prefer to do outdoor motorsports, for example, rather than play them on a video game.  I don't feel the need or desire to go around killing people (or imaginary "zombies" if that makes it easier to kill them) at random.  But I can see how it's helpful to train and brainwash young boys into the obsessive desire to do it (while their testosterone is raging anyway), so that when it comes time for them to pull the trigger on the enemy while they're at war, it makes the transition from game to real life, easier.  Having said that, I have a feeling it wouldn't take too much to get me to pull the trigger.  I've certainly shot some assault rifles in my time, and felt plenty of rage (not while shooting them though haha).  The difference with me though, is that I am aware of the world around me, I am very up on current events, and am aware of the world outside my own country.  I don't think the current "popular youth culture" has a clue about things like history...and how to avoid repeating it.

I never said the mods were of your generation, however I did imply the one who banned me, had his own reasons, which might or might not have been all that legitimate.  Certainly it seemed very immature to me, and like he was playing his own little shootem-up video game...and likely colluding with other participants. 

Frankly, if I were a moderator, I would probably succumb to the same thing though...haha.  But it would get old after a few days.

I can understand the desire to try to make a forum a pleasant experience for all.  It's not always possible to do that, though.  When someone has an argument or a complaint, they should be allowed to continue in some way.  If someone is singled out in a snide way, they should be allowed to tell the person off...the way they would face to face.  However, that kind of thing happens a lot less often face to face, than when it's just words on a screen.  Online, everyone is very powerful, very successful, very wise, and very intelligent.  In real life, they aren't...except for me of course! 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »

yogi

« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
Quote from Neruo: "As for 'out of air accusations', how would you feel if, hypothetically, I called you, "Not the brightest bulb?" 

i would maybe say "get a life and don´t spend half your life on internet forums. you can´t be that bright either".

;D

I personally dont spend half of my life on forums. It is closer to 7/16 of my time. ;D  Also, to each his own. If thats how you enjoy life, so what?  And Neuro is one of the brightest people on this forum, (hypothethetically). Sometimes i wonder if there is anything he DOESNT know.  :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:16:26 PM by yogi »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2013, 08:16:39 PM »
Quote from Neruo: "As for 'out of air accusations', how would you feel if, hypothetically, I called you, "Not the brightest bulb?" 

i would maybe say "get a life and don´t spend half your life on internet forums. you can´t be that bright either".

;D

Lol @ 7/16 of your time...

I personally dont spend half of my life on forums. It is closer to 7/16 of my time. ;D  Also, to each his own. If thats how you enjoy life, so what?  And Neuro is one of the brightest people on this forum. Sometimes i wonder if there is anything he DOESNT know.  :P

yogi

« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2013, 08:20:43 PM »
OK,  That tears it -- we're all banned until further notice  ;D

I actually think "banning" someone is itself kind of childish and needs to be reserved for extreme cases. There are a certain percentage of participants that are clearly social misfits with obsessive tendencies. The rest of the community has a certain responsibility not to feed their compulsions, even if it might be entertaining at times to try to do so.

I think i am going to ban myself ???

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2013, 09:57:25 PM »
I actually think "banning" someone is itself kind of childish and needs to be reserved for extreme cases.

I think the exact opposite. I encourage the mods to set high standards, tolerate little, warn quickly, oust almost as quickly. Send 'em back to their mums for some retraining.

Friendly forums, like CanonRumors and almost any photographers' community, should be filled with over-the-top friendliness, courtesy,  support and a generally happy vibe. It needs to be over-the-top sugar sweet (but genuine) because written comms is terribly poor at getting nuance and intent right, we are not all Charlotte Brontë, so there really is no place for any sort of put-downs, sarcasm, or hostility, because even writers with no ill intent will find themselves posting things that look like they do have ill intent, or at least like they lack good will. Give up the subtlety, be really friendly.

Also, I don't see any '18+' box to tick before entering the site, so we can assume children are welcome here. I would certainly LOVE to think any young person male or female with an interest in photography, would feel comfortable browsing and learning here, and unafraid to post -- and not feel it is necessary to announce one's age first to avoid being bullied.

So please,  ::) find your happy space first before posting here, and try to be part of building something fun and open-armed to all. And if that thought makes you feel sick in your stomach and tempted to post sugary sarcasm,  maybe just park that post and stick to reading, or get up and do something off the computer.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2013, 09:21:46 AM »
I actually think "banning" someone is itself kind of childish and needs to be reserved for extreme cases.

I think the exact opposite. I encourage the mods to set high standards, tolerate little, warn quickly, oust almost as quickly. Send 'em back to their mums for some retraining.

Friendly forums, like CanonRumors and almost any photographers' community, should be filled with over-the-top friendliness, courtesy,  support and a generally happy vibe. It needs to be over-the-top sugar sweet (but genuine) because written comms is terribly poor at getting nuance and intent right, we are not all Charlotte Brontë, so there really is no place for any sort of put-downs, sarcasm, or hostility, because even writers with no ill intent will find themselves posting things that look like they do have ill intent, or at least like they lack good will. Give up the subtlety, be really friendly.

Also, I don't see any '18+' box to tick before entering the site, so we can assume children are welcome here. I would certainly LOVE to think any young person male or female with an interest in photography, would feel comfortable browsing and learning here, and unafraid to post -- and not feel it is necessary to announce one's age first to avoid being bullied.

So please,  ::) find your happy space first before posting here, and try to be part of building something fun and open-armed to all. And if that thought makes you feel sick in your stomach and tempted to post sugary sarcasm,  maybe just park that post and stick to reading, or get up and do something off the computer.

I'm sorry but that comes over as incredibly naiive.  Everybody has an off day and says something they might regret.  As you've said, tone is difficult to read online so it's easy to be misunderstood.  I don't want this or any other forum to be 'over the top sugary sweet'.  That sounds like artificial sweetener.  It would be a bad thing for all if no-one was allowed to have a disagreement.  Healthy disagreements and exchanges of views are beneficial for all.  Yes they should remain respectful, but it is inevitable that there are times when things will overflow. 

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2013, 02:25:54 PM »

I'm sorry but that comes over as incredibly naiive.  Everybody has an off day and says something they might regret.  As you've said, tone is difficult to read online so it's easy to be misunderstood.  I don't want this or any other forum to be 'over the top sugary sweet'.  That sounds like artificial sweetener.  It would be a bad thing for all if no-one was allowed to have a disagreement.  Healthy disagreements and exchanges of views are beneficial for all.  Yes they should remain respectful, but it is inevitable that there are times when things will overflow.

Well said!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2013, 02:25:54 PM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »

;D

I personally dont spend half of my life on forums. It is closer to 7/16 of my time. ;D  Also, to each his own. If thats how you enjoy life, so what?  And Neuro is one of the brightest people on this forum, (hypothethetically). Sometimes i wonder if there is anything he DOESNT know.  :P

I'm pretty sure he doesn't speak Swedish :o

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2013, 09:44:59 PM »

I'm not sure we disagree at all :) except in minor nuance. I said 'warn quickly', which is consistent with your post IMHO about everyone having an off day. And, as I no doubt correctly predicted, the thought of posting happily will make some people feel ill.

I'm happy to withdraw the words "over the top sugar sweet" and replace them with "consistently friendly, supportive and with a generally happy vibe". Same intention, same result: namely, the removal of some clearly angry and dismissive attitudes, and if necessary the people behind them.

My point is, if the mods clearly and repeatedly say they are going to be strict and demand high standards of us, then obviously back it up with consistent action, then the hostility, anger, and dismissive and personal stuff will disappear from CanonRumors so quickly we will all me amazed and delighted (with the obvious exceptions, not missed at all!) :)

yogi

« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »

;D

I'm pretty sure he doesn't speak Swedish :o

:)  What about Swedlish?

Faxon

« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2013, 10:34:28 PM »
I just want to read about Canon cameras and photography. My monthly magazines contain no controversial material. I don't like it when a thread goes on and on, and it has nothing to do with Canon cameras.  Facebook and Twitter are great places for stuff that people feel strongly about. Fortunately, this is not Twitter or Facebook. And I don't want to read about anybody's personal problems. Just about somebody's personal experiences with Canon cameras. Not about their vendettas against Canon Inc, or other people.

On with the show. Still waiting for DIII's to drop to Christmas prices. I am going to have to spend money someday.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »
I just want to read about Canon cameras and photography. My monthly magazines contain no controversial material. I don't like it when a thread goes on and on, and it has nothing to do with Canon cameras.  Facebook and Twitter are great places for stuff that people feel strongly about. Fortunately, this is not Twitter or Facebook. And I don't want to read about anybody's personal problems. Just about somebody's personal experiences with Canon cameras. Not about their vendettas against Canon Inc, or other people.

On with the show. Still waiting for DIII's to drop to Christmas prices. I am going to have to spend money someday.

Well said!  (I bet you speak Swedish, too ;D)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »
I'm not sure we disagree at all :) except in minor nuance. I said 'warn quickly', which is consistent with your post IMHO about everyone having an off day. And, as I no doubt correctly predicted, the thought of posting happily will make some people feel ill.

I'm happy to withdraw the words "over the top sugar sweet" and replace them with "consistently friendly, supportive and with a generally happy vibe". Same intention, same result: namely, the removal of some clearly angry and dismissive attitudes, and if necessary the people behind them.

My point is, if the mods clearly and repeatedly say they are going to be strict and demand high standards of us, then obviously back it up with consistent action, then the hostility, anger, and dismissive and personal stuff will disappear from CanonRumors so quickly we will all me amazed and delighted (with the obvious exceptions, not missed at all!) :)

Kind of sounds like thought police to me, or at the very least, "stepford wives".  I won't have someone dictate that I should be happy all the time.    I'm a free thinker, and I try to express myself in an honest and open way.  I try to deal with people online the same way I do face to face.  I certainly always try to be polite, and treat people with respect.  If I disagree with someone, I should be allowed to disagree without an onlooker filing a grievance, and threatening to continue filing grievances.

I admit my response was a bit over the top and long-winded, and diverged into other directions somewhat.  But I am not here to make people happy.  I am here to learn, and to share.  I do dislike righteous indignation...whether it is honestly felt, or feigned.

I am all for encouraging young people to pursue photography.  However, enthusiasm for photography, was barely mentioned, and was not the point of the above response to my post.

We all need to avoid over-personalizing here.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:31:02 PM by CarlTN »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 20, 2013, 11:41:42 PM »

Well said!  (I bet you speak Swedish, too ;D)

+10.  Forums is about canon (rumors and stuff) mostly.   Occasional side bar, but only occasionally

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2013, 02:09:05 AM »

That's ironic ... you say you "don't like it when a thread goes on and on, and it has nothing to do with Canon cameras" and you "don't  want to read about anybody's personal problems" etc yet you seem to have taken the time to read this thread (at lest some of the posts) and also took the time to comment on it ;D ... its ok if someone posts something against Canon Inc or a particular camera (which you might call "vendettas"), or their "personal problems" no big deal, let them say what they want, it helps us understand others and in the process learn about what is and what isn't. Even monthly magazines have certain pages which do not interest us and we don't read them ... we have the same option here. ;)
Peace
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:10:48 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2013, 02:09:05 AM »