October 31, 2014, 12:22:48 AM

Author Topic: SL1 as a "travel" body  (Read 12200 times)

Harry

SL1 as a "travel" body
« on: June 16, 2013, 01:06:33 PM »
I do my serious shooting with a 5D III, but I had been looking for a while for a small, lightweight camera for family pics and travel. I had considered a high end compact but it somehow seemed too much of a compromise, particularly in operation (shutter lag, viewfinder, etc). When the SL1 came out it seemed an ideal solution, and after having spent some time with it I can say that for me this camera (with the 40mm pancake)  is almost perfect as a lightweight complement to the 5D/III. The great thing, for me, is that both cameras share so many things - the optical view finder (obviously), the Canon layout of the buttons, and the general shooting method. The only real difference in operation is the lack of back button focus (and the lack of the second wheel).

I feel Canon produced a wonderful little camera in the SL1, and for me it is the perfect "informal" complement to the amazing 5D III. I figured others might be wondering about this so I thought I'd share my positive experience!

canon rumors FORUM

SL1 as a "travel" body
« on: June 16, 2013, 01:06:33 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: SL1 as a "travel" body
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
I've been considering the EOS M (and EF adapter) for travel.  Not really to use as a second body, rather as a backup in case my 1D X fails during the trip.  I'd still bring the high-end compact for use when a pocketable camera is needed, and the M would take up almost no extra room, but enable me to use the full set of lenses.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 02:10:01 PM »
yap the sl1/100D is really wonderful
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

mwh1964

• EOS M2
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 02:19:49 PM »
I would suggest the 60D which get cheaper every day, is rather capable and got the functions you are asking for. That or the Fuji X100s. Good luck traveling.
5D3 | 16-35L IS | 24-70L II | 24-105L | 70-200L II | 70-300L | 15 fisheye | 35 IS | 40 STM | 50 f1.4 | 100L | B&W Kaesemann | 2 x 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | MR14-EX | EOS M + 22 STM + 90 EX | Manfrotto | Billingham | Lowepro | Think Tank

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
Thanks, Harry.

I'm glad to hear this. The tiny size of it is tantalizing me a bit. Maybe when it shows up in the Canon refurb shop I'll get one.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Haydn1971

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 05:38:06 PM »
EOS-M with a 22mm pancake - it slips in a pocket, it's hidable in less than safe places, it looks like a cheap compact at a quick glance.  I carry mine all the time, swap to small jpg mode for work photos, back to raw when I need it, swap to manual focus when light is poor, it's a great little camera that is just with you all the time...  Although not quite as handy as my iPhone for quick snaps
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 06:04:03 PM »
I am somewhat interested in it, but I want AFMA capability, and am holding out.

I suppose I could start buying Sigma lenses with the adjustment dock, but I don't think that they can have different adjustments when mounted to different bodies.  This means they become optimized for one body only, or that you have to somehow save the adjustments and redo them before using the lens on a different body.  I'm not saying its useless, it merely works best for those with a single body, or that are willing to dedicate the lens to one body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 06:04:03 PM »

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 07:21:50 PM »
I've used the SL1 - and found the body actually too small to be comfortable (my fingers didn't have a secure place to grip it well). I much preferred the 700D.

Plus even with the 18-55mm IS STM lens on it, I wouldn't call it 'pocketable' - only with the 40mm pancake might it be that 'pocketable'.

So, for my girlfriend I bought a Sony RX-100 instead - as that is truly 'pocketable / place in a small bag' size. Of course that's a totally different camera all together....

I agree that having an EOS-M is handy as a backup to use one's lens arsenal.

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
I've been considering the EOS M (and EF adapter) for travel.  Not really to use as a second body, rather as a backup in case my 1D X fails during the trip.  I'd still bring the high-end compact for use when a pocketable camera is needed, and the M would take up almost no extra room, but enable me to use the full set of lenses.

Thinking of the same thing.  A friend brought a Nikon 1 (V1?) to Africa which looked funny with his 200-400 on it.  But the 2.7 crop was sure nice when he wanted extra reach.

Yea, the SL1 would be an alternative.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
I am somewhat interested in it, but I want AFMA capability, and am holding out.

I suppose I could start buying Sigma lenses with the adjustment dock, but I don't think that they can have different adjustments when mounted to different bodies.  This means they become optimized for one body only, or that you have to somehow save the adjustments and redo them before using the lens on a different body.  I'm not saying its useless, it merely works best for those with a single body, or that are willing to dedicate the lens to one body.

SL1 + 18-35 F1.8? and a cheap Sigma 70-300.

CANONisOK

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »

Check it out if you get a chance. I recently imported the full EOS M kit (in 'bay blue') and really love the little system. The lenses are a great little size and the system takes up no room. Adjust your AF settings appropriately, and it's not as problematic as I was anticipating. I'm eager to see what the firmare does to make it even better. It takes great pictures, has a very familiar and sensible control scheme, and plays well with others. I tested out my 85L and was impressed with the IQ. This little buddy has found a permanent home in my bag.

I think when Canon releases the M2 (or whatever), they're going to have a slam dunk on their hands. Just add the new APS-C sensor, 2nd gen AF, and a good viewfinder to the package and it ticks all the boxes.
5D mark 3: R14/2.8, 24mm f/2.8 IS, 35mm f/2 IS, 50 1.2L, 100L macro, 85L, 135L, 300mm f/2.8 ii. 8-15L Fisheye, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L IS II, TAM 150-600mm,  2x600ex-rt
EOS M: 18-55mm, 22mm
SL1: 10-18mm IS, 18-55mm IS

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
Recent travel experiences a friend had with an SL1 he rented from one of the forum's sponsors: http://www.addrummimages.com/2013/05/19/new-orleans-and-the-canon-sl1/
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

Harry

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »
Recent travel experiences a friend had with an SL1 he rented from one of the forum's sponsors: http://www.addrummimages.com/2013/05/19/new-orleans-and-the-canon-sl1/
Thanks for the link brianboru - that pretty much sums up my experience so far, too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »

acadia

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 10:59:21 PM »
I purchased the SL1 as a light weight alternative for shooting from the air on my paramotor (I also have a 1dx). This camera is extremely small, yet it has great controls and produces excellent images.... sitting alongside the 1dx it looks ridiculously tinny. I have large hands but have had no issues with the grip or button layout. With a lens like the 70-200 2.8 IS mounted on it, I walk around holding the lens and not the camera.  And coming from someone who is not a touch screen fan, this feature is great, if only for the ease of zooming and panning of a shot.

I briefly tried the Sony NEX6 camera a few weeks ago... it takes very good photos, though the LCD is not up to Canon quality and I found the exposure compensation to be inconsistent (sometimes it did nothing); and in the end, I decided I really was not into starting another lens system.

I have not tried the M, so cannot make any comparisons. OK, this is not a pocketable camera, though with the right lens setup, it is very small and lightweight -- I find I am shooting more because this little thing is often with me.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »
I do my serious shooting with a 5D III, but I had been looking for a while for a small, lightweight camera for family pics and travel. I had considered a high end compact but it somehow seemed too much of a compromise, particularly in operation (shutter lag, viewfinder, etc). When the SL1 came out it seemed an ideal solution, and after having spent some time with it I can say that for me this camera (with the 40mm pancake)  is almost perfect as a lightweight complement to the 5D/III. The great thing, for me, is that both cameras share so many things - the optical view finder (obviously), the Canon layout of the buttons, and the general shooting method. The only real difference in operation is the lack of back button focus (and the lack of the second wheel).

I feel Canon produced a wonderful little camera in the SL1, and for me it is the perfect "informal" complement to the amazing 5D III. I figured others might be wondering about this so I thought I'd share my positive experience!

I still think the missing piece for the SL1 is the wide angle pancake.  The pocketability of that camera lives or dies with a tiny lens (as it does the EOS-M), so pancakes are vital.  But the EF 40mm pancake scales to 64mm FF equivalent on a crop, which is functional for portraits but too long for general walkaround, IMHO.

So the missing piece is what they do offer for the EF-M mount but not for the EF-S mount: a 22mm pancake.  That scales to 35mm, and then you have a truly high-end compact 2nd camera.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »