August 01, 2014, 02:32:59 AM

Author Topic: 1D X Product Advisory  (Read 23570 times)

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X Product Advisory
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2013, 06:06:38 PM »
Mine came back after 3 days, sensor clean, and no oil problem so far.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2013, 06:06:38 PM »

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »
I got my 1Dx back yesterday (Wednesday 26th June) after being collected last Thursday, 20th June. When it was away I asked if Canon would do a complimentary sensor clean. I wish I hadn't, it came back worse than it went away. 3-4 foreign bodies including 2 hairs on the sensor as well as several remaining marks. I sent Canon an image showing the issues and made a call to them, I'm waiting on them coming back to me tomorrow morning to confirm it going back for another sensor clean. I'm taking it to Tuscany a week on Saturday so I'm slightly concerned it wont come back in time as UPS, Canon's courier only delivers to my town Mon/Wed/Fri.

Really disappointed in Canon QA systems, that's 3 times in less than a year the body has been in for a sensor clean and each time its come back its not been perfect, this time its by a mile the worse its been.

I have to say dealing with the Admin Staff at Canon (Centenial Park) is a pleasure, they are very helpful, its just a pity the technical staff dont back them up with similar service.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2013, 07:37:12 PM »
Got mines back today, receipt says mirror box modification and repaired faulty/damaged parts lube hook.I gave it a good run at 12fps with no issues sensors spotless :-)

Nice! That's great news! Glad it worked out for you. Mine is going in Monday and I'll update my experience here.
Dont think you have anything to worry about :-) had mines out on a good shoot today running well :)

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »
I got my 1Dx back yesterday (Wednesday 26th June) after being collected last Thursday, 20th June. When it was away I asked if Canon would do a complimentary sensor clean. I wish I hadn't, it came back worse than it went away. 3-4 foreign bodies including 2 hairs on the sensor as well as several remaining marks. I sent Canon an image showing the issues and made a call to them, I'm waiting on them coming back to me tomorrow morning to confirm it going back for another sensor clean. I'm taking it to Tuscany a week on Saturday so I'm slightly concerned it wont come back in time as UPS, Canon's courier only delivers to my town Mon/Wed/Fri.

Really disappointed in Canon QA systems, that's 3 times in less than a year the body has been in for a sensor clean and each time its come back its not been perfect, this time its by a mile the worse its been.

I have to say dealing with the Admin Staff at Canon (Centenial Park) is a pleasure, they are very helpful, its just a pity the technical staff dont back them up with similar service.
wont you just clean it yourself?

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2013, 02:32:58 AM »
Thanks to everyone who posted their experience with the repair here. It seems it will go without a hitch. Mine is shipping on Monday.

If the sensor came back with dust and hairs I would clean it myself, it was the oil that was the concern.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2013, 09:27:01 AM »
I would really appreciate if you would share any findings regarding oil drops on the sensor, and hopefully it's clean. I'm sending mine in on monday, so I can get it back between weekends.

I really think you are far too worried about the oil drops. It is out of your hands, and even if a few of us have an issue (which I doubt will happen) what are you going to do? Worry about other things, and have confidence in Canon, don't spend so much time worrying about something you cannot control.

Hahaha, obviously you never had an issue with excessive oil from Canon before.  The 1DsM3 oil issue threw so much oil around that everything was covered with oil, sometimes including your attached lens (not something you can clean yourself)!  Having to send a body back in to Canon cost time and money so I think it is worth being concerned about.  I don't think we should avoid having the fix done by Canon, but I am concerned about having my body come back clean until I shoot high speed and it throws over 1000 drops of oil everywhere.  Given that consideration, I'll only send in my 1DX when I have the most down time.  I'll also make sure my backup 1Dm4 body is clean and ready to be used full time.

You call it worried, I call it prepared.

You shot high speed mode with the 1Ds3?  Does that even have "high burst mode?"  LOL

Ooooh snap!  Yeah, I know.  5 fps isn't exactly high speed.  ::)
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »

wont you just clean it yourself?

To be honest I'm not keen on cleaning the sensor in a camera that cost me £5300 when I've never cleaned one before. I read a lot of people saying its easy depending on the kit you use of course. I'm not convinced though I should have to clean a sensor which has never been perfectly clean since I first got it, I'm happy to get it done under warranty or pay for it to be done. Seem to remember seeing their price was £40 or so for a clean. I'll pay that and leave the liability with them not me.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
On Thursday morning I had my 1D-X at Canon's services in Switzerland. Following Studio1930s advise I ran the camera through a series of high speed test shots, then used it during the weekend and it appears to be perfect. No need for cleaning up afterwards whatsoever.

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2013, 05:19:27 PM »
Thanks to everyone who posted their experience with the repair here. It seems it will go without a hitch. Mine is shipping on Monday.

If the sensor came back with dust and hairs I would clean it myself, it was the oil that was the concern.

I wouldn't mind dust and hairs on it if I hadn't asked for them to clean it! Mine has been in 3 times now and each time the dust visible through the viewfinder has got worse also, not all the oil had been removed either, particularly at the corners and edges.

Cannon Man

« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2013, 07:12:36 AM »

I wouldn't mind dust and hairs on it if I hadn't asked for them to clean it! Mine has been in 3 times now and each time the dust visible through the viewfinder has got worse also, not all the oil had been removed either, particularly at the corners and edges.

Are you sure the dust is on the sensor??? if it was it would not be visible through the viewfinder..
The focusing screen will often have specs of dust and hair.. It's super easy to clean too.
I have a tool to open and change the focusing screen but it's easily done with just your fingers if you only grab on to the edge. Then just blow the dirt off of it and put it back.

John

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2013, 07:56:13 AM »
i sent my 1DX in on a monday for the lubrication and got it back by that friday. my camera was sparkling clean when i got it back. i have had issues with canon service in the past, but this time i was impressed. a few months back they had to replace the mirror assembly on my 1DX (under warranty) and that was not fun since it involved sending the camera back to them twice and the whole process took several weeks.

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »

Are you sure the dust is on the sensor??? if it was it would not be visible through the viewfinder..
The focusing screen will often have specs of dust and hair.. It's super easy to clean too.
I have a tool to open and change the focusing screen but it's easily done with just your fingers if you only grab on to the edge. Then just blow the dirt off of it and put it back.

Thanks for replying, I realise the dust on the sensor is not viewable through the viewfinder, I meant that the dust visible through the viewfinder had got worse also, so as well as sensor dust/oil not being cleaned properly there was additional dust visible through the viewfinder that was not there before. Like you you I also have the tool for replacing the focussing screen, I needed to buy a new screen back in January when I was a bit of a clown trying to clean the additional dust that came back courtesy of the service department and ended up marking my original screen. So its all been a bit of a pantomime.

I'm sure when it comes back this time it'll be fine. I hope...

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
Forgive my ignorance if this is obvious to others, when you send in your camera how do you pack it? Original box? Other? Bubble wrap? UPS? Etc...

Just curious as the hold up for me on sending mine in is knowing exactly how to ship it safely.

Cheers =)

Shawn L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
Forgive my ignorance if this is obvious to others, when you send in your camera how do you pack it? Original box? Other? Bubble wrap? UPS? Etc...

Just curious as the hold up for me on sending mine in is knowing exactly how to ship it safely.

Cheers =)

Shawn L.

I have been using the original box, body packed as orignally sent and I put in bubble wrap to fill the empty space. Then I bubble wrap the box and wrap it in brown paper. When Canon arranged to have my 1Dx uplifted for the recall I did not get enough notice and the courier turned up early so I had to give it to him as it was and he said he would bag it once back at the depot. Box came back in a right mess. I've now decided to keep the larger box/packaging Canon sent it back in for return trips.

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »
On Thursday morning I had my 1D-X at Canon's services in Switzerland. Following Studio1930s advise I ran the camera through a series of high speed test shots, then used it during the weekend and it appears to be perfect. No need for cleaning up afterwards whatsoever.

Excellent news.  ;D
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »