April 19, 2014, 09:49:12 AM

Author Topic: 50D grip becomeing white  (Read 1359 times)

RAKAMRAK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
50D grip becomeing white
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »
I have a small concern about the leather/soft/rubberized parts of my 50D. As you know its normal color is black, but mine is showing a peculiar whiteness within this black color - specially in the "channels" or "grooves" of those rubberized parts. No problem with the metal parts though. Any idea about this? Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:38:45 PM by RAKAMRAK »
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

50D grip becomeing white
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 50D grip becomeing white
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »
Sounds like it may be related to the issue for which there was a service advisory on other cameras.  See here.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 01:53:02 PM »
I have a small concern about the leather/soft/rubberized parts of my 50D. As you know its normal color is black, but mine is showing a peculiar whiteness within this black color - specially in the "channels" or "grooves" of those rubberized parts. No problem with the metal parts though. Any idea about this? Thanks.

\
Assuming that you mean the camera cover, it happens to almost all cameras eventually, its merely oxidized plastic. 

Call Canon parts and order another.  The old cover can be peeled off and the new one stuck on.  They come with self adhesive, but can be peeled off.  I don't think its a expensive part, assuming that they are still available.
They come in sections.  You can sometimes find them on ebay, but they usually cost less from Canon.

Here is a link to some pieces on ebay, just for illustration sak, I don't know anything about the seller.

I've used a tooth brush and soap to clean them us as well, but I'd buy new if its a concern.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-EOS-40D-50D-REAR-BACK-GRIP-RUBBER-GENUINE-REPLACEMENT-PART-NEW-OEM-/360663210448?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item53f933d9d0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-50D-Front-Cover-Side-Rubber-Grip-With-Adhesive-Tape-NEW-Original-/370833771378?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item56576a4b72

RAKAMRAK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
Thank you neuroanatomist and Mt. Spokane Photography. Looks like it happens in the normal (sometimes may be not so normal) circumstances.
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 02:35:44 PM »
Thank you neuroanatomist and Mt. Spokane Photography. Looks like it happens in the normal (sometimes may be not so normal) circumstances.

I think Neuro is right, its the same chemical reaction, but its rare in the older Canon bodies.   The recent issue was due to gross errors by a subcontractor.

Some brands had issues in the past, Minolta, for example had issues with their film SLR's, I have several with oxidized grips.  They can be cleaned up, but its a lot of elbow grease.

Get replacement covers and your camera will shine like new.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:39:38 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »
It is most likely a reaction between zinc from sunscreen and the rubber. I have heard of several people having this happen, and to various brands of camera (Canon, Nikon, Panasonic). As long as it is just surface corrosion you can use a mild cleaner and a toothbrush, then rinse and dry...... should be as good as new.

It should also be mentioned that insect repellant, particularly those that use DEET, can disolve paint and turn rubber gripos into a sticky goo...... gotta be carefull out in the woods....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:29:54 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »