August 22, 2014, 04:20:08 AM

Author Topic: Question about camera/lens cleaning  (Read 886 times)

heavybarrel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Question about camera/lens cleaning
« on: June 26, 2013, 05:14:56 PM »
Hi all, I'm not sure if this belongs in tech questions but I didn't see another topic category that fit...

I just got back from 9 days in Utah and Arizona hiking and canyoneering and my 5D3 and lenses (24-70 II, 70-300L and Zeiss 21) are all gritty. That fine red sand gets everywhere! I'm sure I didn't take care of them as well as I should have but they never let me down. I was wondering if I needed to send them in for a cleaning or if they will be fine with a wipedown. I'm fine with cleaning it out but I was curious if it's standard to have it done professionally after a trip like this.

Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

Question about camera/lens cleaning
« on: June 26, 2013, 05:14:56 PM »

tgara

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Question about camera/lens cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 02:50:45 PM »
I was in the same situation a couple of years ago.  I was touring southern Utah and northern Arizona, when the wind picked up and grit was everywhere.  Some of that grit got into my 17-40 lens and 7D body.  It was so bad that I could feel grittiness when pressing some buttons or turning the zoom ring.  When I returned home, I sent all my gear to Canon for a cleaning.

If I was you, I would certainly do a wipe-down with a damp microfiber cloth.  Be mindful of the performance of your camera and pay attention to any "grinding" you can hear when you press a button or turn a ring.  If you can hear grinding, you should consider a full professional cleaning.

heavybarrel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »
crap, I can hear a little grinding on my thumb wheel... I guess I should send it in.
thanks

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
I was in the same situation a couple of years ago.  I was touring southern Utah and northern Arizona, when the wind picked up and grit was everywhere.  Some of that grit got into my 17-40 lens and 7D body.  It was so bad that I could feel grittiness when pressing some buttons or turning the zoom ring.  When I returned home, I sent all my gear to Canon for a cleaning.

If I was you, I would certainly do a wipe-down with a damp microfiber cloth.  Be mindful of the performance of your camera and pay attention to any "grinding" you can hear when you press a button or turn a ring.  If you can hear grinding, you should consider a full professional cleaning.

Just out of curiosity,  how much do they charge for cleaning?  I would hate mailing my gear out. It makes me a little nervous. 
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »