April 19, 2014, 04:18:33 AM

Author Topic: EOS 70D Next to Be Announced  (Read 8377 times)

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 70D Next to Be Announced
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 07:50:05 AM »
Not really revolutionary then. Wondering how long it takes for real new sensors.
Canon can always open the door and make a visit to Sony, Toshiba, Aptina, Panasonic and start a collaboration, but they are to proud and have invest much prestige in their own sensors

Pride?  I doubt that...just good fiscal sense.  They're selling plenty of dSLRs using their own sensor technology, and all the DxOMark Scores in the world haven't changed that. So, why dilute their profits by giving some of them to another sensor manufacturer?  Clearly, in the case of the many PowerShots that use Sony sensors, they're not 'too proud' - for that market segment, the economies of scale make it logical to source those sensors from another manufacturer.

Also, keep in mind that few of us, if any, have a clue (I certainly don't) as to what is under developement in the labs and what the corperate strategic decisions are..... we are just speculating... there could be something fantastic coming down the pipe, there could be nothing... but until it gets released, we just don't know.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 07:50:05 AM »

mjbehnke

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 08:35:23 AM »
I'm at a loss? So, the 20.2 MP sensor with dual pixel CMOS AF is not a new sensor?  I would think that having 2.2mp over the current 18mp sensor, they would have had to make a new one? I'm not at all a techie person, so that's the reason I ask.

Thanks,
Matthew
Gripped Canon 60D \ EF-S 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM \ EF 70-200 F4L IS USM \ 430ex II Speedlite \ Love for photography.

Nishi Drew

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 08:54:42 AM »

I was looking forward to something that would keep me from buying a Nikon D7100.

This is not it.

HAHA, if you're looking for something else to go against the decision of purchasing the D7100 then obviously you don't really want the D7100 to begin with, you're looking forward to a "better" camera but with the intention of settling with one you don't quite want? The D7100 looks like a pretty fine camera, it even has decent video (matters to me) while over here the flip screen is a big plus, just need to see if Canon was woken up with Magic Lantern's recent RAW video discovery and the 70D actually has something neat from the start. Or not... depends on how the sensor is now

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 09:13:21 AM »
I'm at a loss? So, the 20.2 MP sensor with dual pixel CMOS AF is not a new sensor?  I would think that having 2.2mp over the current 18mp sensor, they would have had to make a new one? I'm not at all a techie person, so that's the reason I ask.

Thanks,
Matthew

There is no ISO improvement over the T5i, so I expect it is the same technology as the T5i and SL1, just slightly smaller pixels... So yes, it is a new sensor, but no (probably), it is not new technology.
The best camera is the one in your hands

m.malvitz

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »
What type of toggle with this have?  Do you think it will go back to the joystick of the 50D and 5D MkIII?  Or will it be the pad in the 60D and 6D?

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »
havent you seen the 70D on pictures? no joystick, just d-pad.
Canon 70D -- Canon 550D -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »
its a new sensor but  probably build with the same design as all other APS , 24x36mm  sensors from Canon since 2004

We can't be sure.

At the CMOS/electronics level, the 70D sensor is a 40mp sensor, basically.
That seems way too many for Canon's old 500nm process - when even 18mp was pushing it.

I guess we'll find out when Chipworks puts the 70D sensor under the microscope.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
its a new sensor but  probably build with the same design as all other APS , 24x36mm  sensors from Canon since 2004

We can't be sure.

At the CMOS/electronics level, the 70D sensor is a 40mp sensor, basically.
That seems way too many for Canon's old 500nm process - when even 18mp was pushing it.

I guess we'll find out when Chipworks puts the 70D sensor under the microscope.

Might the pixels being split for AF hurt ISO performance by a stop?

The Mark III (and I'm assuming 1DX even more so) has good high ISO performance. It's low ISO that suffers. If anything Canon would want to fix that but I don't think they'd want to publicize it since the problem is not really well-documented except in niche communities. (Noisy ADC or somesuch.)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 03:40:44 PM »
The Mark III (and I'm assuming 1DX even more so) has good high ISO performance. It's low ISO that suffers. If anything Canon would want to fix that but I don't think they'd want to publicize it since the problem is not really well-documented except in niche communities. (Noisy ADC or somesuch.)

So why would they want to fix it at all?   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »

So why would they want to fix it at all?   ::)

Maybe they don't. There's not much evidence they care. The gap between Canon and Sony sensors is wider in terms of read noise than quantum efficiency, so there's more room to improve there, but I agree with you there's much less incentive.

There might be more incentive when/if the mythical 3D studio/landscape camera launches, however, in which case Canon might be moved to improve their cameras' read noise without really publicizing that they ever had an issue with it. Probably not, though.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:56:17 PM by Policar »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »