September 16, 2014, 06:03:49 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]  (Read 72573 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
Oh yes, a quick PS... Please, people who think the 7DmkII will be an APS-H.....  THAT SENSOR SIZE IS DEAD ALREADY!  :D

I agree... APS-H would need a larger mirror... which means clearance problems with APS-C lenses.... If it can only be used with FF lenses, why not just make it a FF. It was a stop-gap when introduced because chip yields were not high enough on FF sized sensors.... those days are long past.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »

x-vision

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
What I find interesting is that the ISO range is the same as the T5i.... there really isn't much of a difference in size of pixels between  18 and 20 Mpixels.... I would have expected that if they had gone to a newer process that the ISO range would have exceeded the T5i, so my bet is the same technology as before for the sensor with further improvements to "live view" like we have seen on the last few lower-end releases.

+1000

I'm still expecting some improvement, though.
A 5DII-->6D type of improvement, where high ISOs (3200 and above) should be progressively cleaner compared to the 60D, for example.
We'll see.

Canon also said that it was to be the 7D2 that was the "game changer". That's when I would expect to see any signifianly better technology emerge.

Exactly.

It's only natural that new tech is introduced on higher-end bodies first.
Considering that Canon did a full refresh of their FF lineup last year, the 7DII is the best candidate right now for the new tech introduction.

thealfonz

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »
I really don't see all the hassle regarding GPS. I think it's useless. GPS is useful in cars and mobile phones if you're lost, but geo-tagging? Couldn't care less and certainly will not be a deal maker or breaker.

It is for me.  I like to know where pictures were taken.  That might be practical if I shot a couple of dozen pictures per day.  When I go on a two week vacation, though, I average 2-3,000 shots—on the order of a couple of hundred shots per day.  Without geotagging, it is completely infeasible to figure out where each shot was taken with much more precision than "Somewhere in [insert city here]."  With geotagging like I have on my iPhone, I just load the pictures into Lightroom, click the Map tab, and I can see where the photo was taken to within a few feet.

I've been waiting six years for Canon to release a crop body with GPS.  I guess I can wait another year.  I was just hoping to actually have GPS for the photos I'm going to take in September.  At this point, given that they've already shipped the 6D with GPS, I can't imagine even contemplating buying a camera without GPS knowing that there's about a 90% chance that they left it off the 70D because they plan to save that "advanced feature" for the next 7D.

So I'll continue waiting.  Again.

While I understand the convenience of a built in GPS, personally I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker compared to all of the other amazing features the camera seems to offer; you have options at least. The GPS accessory, or an external 3rd party GPS that you leave in your bag and sync up later in Lightroom. Yes, it would be great if that extra step wasn't needed, but I doubt you'll see GPS in a 7DmkII - if Canon wants to maintain the ruggedness and weather sealing of the original 7D, I doubt you'll see GPS or wifi given the need for the top plastic plate....

That said, obviously if you feel the camera won't suit your needs, I hope something comes along soon that does :)

x-vision

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2013, 02:46:06 PM »
I expect Canon will not be able to deliver a sensor+electronics matching the current Nikon D7100 sensor in terms of IQ. Not in resolution (20 vs. 24 MP) and probably even less so in DR across all ISO settings starting at base ISO nor in Hi-ISO Noise.

My prediction is that the 70D will lag behind the D7100 in terms of DR.
In terms of ISO/noise, however, the 70D should be able to match (and maybe even exceed) the D7100.

The D7100 got a high overall DxO score because of its high DR.
But if you look at the ISO/noise measurements, it's not all that good.

The 70D doesn't need to be much better than the current 18mp sensor to match the D7100 in ISO/noise.
Of course for DR it's pretty certain that D7100 will be a clear winner.

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2013, 02:58:42 PM »

Of course for DR it's pretty certain that D7100 will be a clear winner.

I don't think Canon cares about DR vis-a-vis the Nikons ... that could only be so because the most of the users of the cameras also don't care about DR ... I'm no longer sure if I should care either.  ;)

More DR in canon cameras is certainly welcome, but it isn't all that matters.
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I have more photo gear than I need. The blame lies squarely with Canonrumors

carlosmeldano

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
dual pixel cmos AF
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2013, 03:07:52 PM »
dual pixel cmos autofocus

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-70d-dual-pixel-auto-focus-specs-leaked/

machine translated, but it seems that this is a completely new autofocus technology that works on the whole sensor surface. if it works well and software is implemented well (not like @ eos m first), it'd be awesome.

seems like both conventional and live view autofocus will be effective.

Abraxx

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2013, 03:16:19 PM »
Looks like a nice update.
Question is how the sensor performes in RAW?
Everything else looks nice as a second body to a 5D3.  :)
And I still see room for a 7D2 or 8D, dual digic6, better alu body, fast 10-12fps, even higher ISO, dual card slot,
wifi is great for so many things, I hope same battery as 5D3...
20MP is just fine on APS-C
But price... Oh well, I fear between 6D and 5D3

My 2 cents
 8)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:21:31 PM by Abraxx »
'Photographers are the eyes of the world'
Focus on Landscape/Nature, Architecture, Technology, Wildlife, Street

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2013, 03:16:19 PM »

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: dual pixel cmos AF
« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-70d-dual-pixel-auto-focus-specs-leaked/

machine translated, but it seems that this is a completely new autofocus technology that works on the whole sensor surface. if it works well and software is implemented well (not like @ eos m first), it'd be awesome.

seems like both conventional and live view autofocus will be effective.

According to that link, the computational power required to use this new type of live view AF means that the Rebel series won't get it for a while. Sounds promising for the mirrorless crowd.

photo212

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2013, 03:21:29 PM »
The item I'm still wanting to read is whether the body and controls are 60D/Rebel-ish or 50D/7D-ish

Anyone with real insight? Or do we still just have guesses and wishful thinking to this issue?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #219 on: June 28, 2013, 03:24:40 PM »

To me, this seems to be the same tech they started using on the 600d, but now the whole sensor is covered with phase detect pixels and they seem to be able to handle the high processing power demand.

This is great news for the video crowd, but bad news for traditional old-school still shooters like me who only use lv on tripod ... if Canon has the edge in lv/video af, they probably can get away with a straight viewfinder phase af copy from the 7d1 and nowhere near the -2ev/51pt-af of the d7100 :-\

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 28, 2013, 03:57:56 PM »

To me, this seems to be the same tech they started using on the 600d, but now the whole [...]

I have to recheck my 600D ... I think it was the 650D and the EOS M where it started?!

I am not shure it is just for the video crowd - think about an "adjustment mode" which makes AFMA due to the comparison between the fast phase detect (via special unit) and sensor phase+contrast AF ...u
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 28, 2013, 04:02:40 PM »
It's nice to have the spec list but ... the more interesting part is
  * real world IQ and
  * real world operability

The nicest thing on the spec list is the fact that they use the same battery like other pro(sumer) cameras!

I really like the tension before the release and my reasoning if ... I will replace my trusted 40Ds or not ... got to FF or stay with APS-C ... wait for Canons FF mirrorless or not ... helps me while curing a broken leg and bad weather  :)
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

c.d.embrey

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 28, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »

For me, I'm much more interested in wifi ...  I have zero interest in social media and uploading images wirelessly is not important to me. 

For Commercial, Editorial and News Photographers (PJs) WiFi can be a BFD!! WiFi isn't just for uploading photos of your lunch.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #222 on: June 28, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 28, 2013, 04:43:09 PM »

For me, I'm much more interested in wifi ...  I have zero interest in social media and uploading images wirelessly is not important to me. 

For Commercial, Editorial and News Photographers (PJs) WiFi can be a BFD!! WiFi isn't just for uploading photos of your lunch.

Another interesting application of Wifi is using a tablet or phone as wireless remote WITH VIEWFINDER CAPABILITY. Especially for video this might help to control the camera silently - without clicking noises while setting aperture or exp. time.

Tanja

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 28, 2013, 04:50:03 PM »

Another interesting application of Wifi is using a tablet or phone as wireless remote WITH VIEWFINDER CAPABILITY. Especially for video this might help to control the camera silently - without clicking noises while setting aperture or exp. time.

yep. i love the 6D for taking remote photos of critters.

and sorry but some people are really restricted in one's thinking.
seeing beyond one's own nose often helps to get the whole picture. ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #224 on: June 28, 2013, 04:50:03 PM »