April 25, 2014, 12:43:48 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D Announced  (Read 28884 times)

Drum

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D Announced
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »
I like the specs of the 70D it at least shows a moving forward of the camera range, even if that means putting higher end "old tech" in to lower end cameras (7d AF). I don't think ISO will be much better than the rebels because if it was why would anyone go FF? if the 70d has  iso performance even close to the 6d who would buy the 6d? same with the upcoming 7d2 if ISO is clean(ish) at 6400 and it costs 2k ($,£ or€) who would pay 5k for a 1dx? The most anyone can hope for is a nice iso 1600 or even a usable 3200.   Just because iso 12800 is in the native settings I don't think it will be up to scratch for many people in my opinion. (even less so for CR forum participants!!!)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »

viggen61

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »
I like the specs of the 70D it at least shows a moving forward of the camera range, even if that means putting higher end "old tech" in to lower end cameras (7d AF).

That's pretty standard across industries. New, expensive, "high tech" comes in at the tops of the model lines, and eventually trickles down to the masses. For cars, stuff that is "standard" on the lowliest sedans, like airbags, Antilock brakes, etc. were introduced years ago on cars like the Mercedes S Class. I was watching an older episode of Top Gear recently, and they were showing the S-Class' "Radar Cruise Control" bringing the car to a full stop. That tech is now making its way into much cheaper cars, like Mazdas.

Same thing for DSLRs. Who would have thought we'd have 18MP in a Rebel 10 years ago?

The 70D is a step forward, and an expected "trickle-down" of the higher-end technology.

I can't wait to see the official specs for the 7DII!
Canon 7D

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2013, 09:22:46 AM »
I'm a videographer, but I'm thinking about switching from my 5D Mark II to the 70D if the noise isn't too bad. The main reasons is that the 70D has a Digic 5+ processor, which is the same as the 5D3 if I'm not mistaken, right? If the magic lantern team manage to hack the 70D, which I'm sure they are, that could enable 1080p RAW video recording. Also that AF in video recording looks quite handy when its hard to focus manually. Lastly, its a generally better camera, functions wise, than the 5D2, which only has the fullframeness to brag about, which although is really nice, but I could give that up for generally better specs and that lovely processor. :3

ML hack would require CF card.  70D seems to have SD card only so no, there would be no 1080 raw video for 70D.

CANONisOK

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »
Canon calls this an "aspiring enthusiast" camera. Not even an enthusiast but one who aspires to be one and is called a camera so people can "develop their skills." Really? Makes it sound like a toy for little kids. I know its not a big deal but I think they should've chosen better language.

At the risk of sounding pedantic (me? pendantic? shocking, I know!)... their choice of language was fine. In context, the term "aspiring enthusiast" means one who is an enthusiast and aspires to something greater. Not someone hoping to be an enthusiast. It's not really a point which would confuse most people.

That said, it looks like a pretty good spec list for a mid-range crop DSLR. Personally, I'd not be looking for many of the Live View enhancements - but many others are and I can respect that. My hope is that the IQ improvements (RAW, not processed) are substantial for those of us whose first priority is producing high-quality still images. For now, it's the waiting game as usual until some "independent" sample images are available to scrutinize.
5D mark 3: R14/2.8, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 50 1.2L, 70-200L IS II, 85L, 100L macro, 100-400L, 135L, 300 f4 L IS, TAM 150-600mm, 2x600ex-rt
EOS M: 18-55mm, 22mm

carlosmeldano

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2013, 09:38:14 AM »
They have just put the 3-10x digital zoom to movie mode that was present and was adorable in 600D ????

Nowhere mentioned, but let's just check this video issued by Canon Australia:
Canon EOS 70D - First Look Small | Large
5:07

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2013, 09:44:40 AM »
Strobists will be happy if the spec list at B&H is correct.

Max sync = 250th of a second.

And another first....

It has a focus assist (AF) beam.

2, until now, Nikon only perks.

Sorry, but while the B&H spec list is correct, your interpretation of it leaves something to be desired.  As was pointed out, the 1/250 X-sync has been available on a number of Canon APS-C bodies.  Also, the AF assist beam is a rapid strobe of the popup flash, not the separate, dedicated AF assist lamp you seem to think it is.  That's one good reason to buy a 430EX II or better flash...

DP Review has a hands-on preview as well. One thing they mention is AF to F/11 in live view. Does this mean there isn't the <F/8 issue with, for example, long telephoto + TC's?

Yes, on the 70D you can AF in Live View with an f/8 or f/11 combo (an example of the latter is the 100-400L + 2x TC or 800/5.6 + 2x TC).  Of course, you've always been able to AF in Live View with an f/11 combo.  My 7D could do it.  The difference is that this is phase detect AF at f/11, meaning it's faster than the contrast detect which doesn't care about aperture.

360 degree mode dial. That'll please some people  ;)
Not me though. I like the stop in the dial in the 7D, as it makes it easier to use it blind (with eye in the viewfinder), mainly switching between the three custom modes. In particular moving to C3 is very easy, just move it as far as it goes.

+1 - on the 7D, I liked being able to just spin the mode dial to until it stopped and be at my C3, my birds in flight aka "OMG quick get a picture of that flying pig" setting.  For the same reason, I am not a fan of the idea of a locking mode dial.  But then again, I no longer have a mode dial, at all...

No mention of a dedicated AF processor, just like 7D/5DIII have. It's what it makes their AF exceptional. 70D "only" has a Digic5+.

I have this feeling the AF will not on pair with the 7D's.

I suspect it will perform equivalent to the 7D, even if it doesn't have a dedicated AF processor (and it still might have one - a detail like that might not be worth highlighting, and may actually detract from/confuse the dual pixel CMOS promotion, but more information will come along soon).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »
Isn't a digic 5+ faster than two digic 4s and then some? That and the same battery as 7D should drive the AF just as fast and accurate right?
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 2x5D mark III, and 6D. Canon 24L, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2013, 10:00:10 AM »
DPR's hands on preview states:

"AF microadjustment (can be set individually for up to 40 lenses, remembered by lens serial number)"

But the Canon site doesn't show this as a feature.  Why would they not list an important feature on their USA site if it has it?  Hmmmmm.
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

carlosmeldano

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
But the Canon site doesn't show this as a feature.  Why would they not list an important feature on their USA site if it has it?  Hmmmmm.

Indeed it does, just check the UK site: http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_70D/index.aspx, Specifications

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2013, 10:07:51 AM »
Isn't a digic 5+ faster than two digic 4s and then some? That and the same battery as 7D should drive the AF just as fast and accurate right?

Digic5+ is 17 times faster than Digic4. 

Indeed it does, just check the UK site: http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_70D/index.aspx, Specifications

Thanks! That also answers the question about one vs. two values for zooms (two).

@ Studio1930 - Canon USA doesn't seem to list AFMA as a feature for any of the bodies which have it...

Lee Jay

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2013, 10:11:22 AM »
They have just put the 3-10x digital zoom to movie mode that was present and was adorable in 600D ????

Nowhere mentioned, but let's just check this video issued by Canon Australia: Canon EOS 70D - First Look 5:07

Yes!!!  Losing video zoom was a major screw up.  I hope they put this back in all models going forward, and expand its functionality and usefulness.

RGomezPhotos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »
Pretty darn nice camera! I like it.  However, if it has a smaller body than the 60D, I really consider the camera a Super Rebel. The inclusion of SD card, lack of headphone jack and non-replaceable focus screen keep it at a Rebel level. This camera is not on the same level as the 50D.

For professional use, the small body is a deal-killer for me. It has some great technology and features which will make the higher-end amateur market happy.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »

@ Studio1930 - Canon USA doesn't seem to list AFMA as a feature for any of the bodies which have it...

Hmm, I see that now.  Crazy how they would not put that in the list of features on the USA site.  ::)

I guess this will be a good fit for my mother to replace her 40D finally.
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »

seasamshoot

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
I'm a videographer, but I'm thinking about switching from my 5D Mark II to the 70D if the noise isn't too bad. The main reasons is that the 70D has a Digic 5+ processor, which is the same as the 5D3 if I'm not mistaken, right? If the magic lantern team manage to hack the 70D, which I'm sure they are, that could enable 1080p RAW video recording. Also that AF in video recording looks quite handy when its hard to focus manually. Lastly, its a generally better camera, functions wise, than the 5D2, which only has the fullframeness to brag about, which although is really nice, but I could give that up for generally better specs and that lovely processor. :3

ML hack would require CF card.  70D seems to have SD card only so no, there would be no 1080 raw video for 70D.

ML made a hack for the 6D which is also SD card so Im not sure where you are getting your information.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2013, 10:50:51 AM »
Hmm, I see that now.  Crazy how they would not put that in the list of features on the USA site.  ::)

Highlight a feature intended to correct for inconsistencies in the manufacturing process?  A feature that even the manuals for the cameras recommend you not use?   ::) ::) ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2013, 10:50:51 AM »