November 27, 2014, 01:59:59 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D Announced  (Read 37698 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Canon EOS 70D Announced
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
IMO, sensor improvement related to better high ISO is not crucial for APS-C only.

IMhO there is an absolute requirement for usable iso, at least for 90% of things people shoot. Yes, with super-high dr or extreme iso you can either shoot in the dark, ultra-fast movements or in any high contrast - but that doesn't happen that often.

Since the current crop sensors cannot compete for available light indoor shooting of moving subjects, for ok light I find a good iso 1600 crucial, and unfortunately this is just where the current 18mp crop sensor falls short. So my benchmark for "good enough for forever" would be +1.5ev better performance than now, but neither the d7100 or the 70d will be there yet, and if only because they trade more mp for more/same noise.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2013, 04:06:40 PM »
According to <this video> the 70D has the same dedicated AF sensor as the 7D.

The dedicated AF sensor, yes.  But we're talking about the dedicated AF processor, a separate chip on the logic board that processes the data from the AF sensor.  The 7D was the first body outside of the 1-series to have a separate AF processor, the 5DIII has one, as well.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2013, 04:15:17 PM »
According to <this video> the 70D has the same dedicated AF sensor as the 7D.

The dedicated AF sensor, yes.  But we're talking about the dedicated AF processor, a separate chip on the logic board that processes the data from the AF sensor.  The 7D was the first body outside of the 1-series to have a separate AF processor, the 5DIII has one, as well.

Yes, I know what you are saying.
The 70D appears to have the same dedicated AF processor as the 7D.

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2013, 04:29:08 PM »
Where did you pick that up? I went through watching whole video again and there is no mention of a dedicated AF processor.

I'm not saying that it doesn't have one, but up till now, there hasnt been a word said about it.
Canon 7D Mark II -- Canon 70D -- Canon 8-15L f4 Fisheye USM -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »
Looks like a very promising APS-C, clearly to me the baseline of future cameras to come and probably the first signs of a highly capable (pro level)  mirrorless not that far into the future, accounting for the obvious improvements there will be to this tech wrt AF speed and framerate.

Which makes me wonder...while not performing AF function, what are those extra 20M pixels doing??? seems like an awful lot of sensor real state to waste isn't it? What if those pixels are actually put to contribute to IQ when the picture is grabbed? how about some interpolation / oversampling to tremendously improve high ISO performance....

Just wondering and dreaming...  ::)
When shooting an image, the reading from both pixels of the pair is summed. This raises an interesting possibility of an extra stop of dynamic range, depending on how things are implemented. If the 7D2 uses the same technology, will they push the idea further? Allow  a mode with all pixels saved? Combine 4 pixels for 2 stops of DR? Interesting times and possibilities ahead.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2013, 04:45:18 PM »

What is your evidence for that statement?  It's not mentioned in the video you linked which you earlier claimed said the 70D has the 7D's dedicated AF sensor (which it does).  In fact, that video doesn't even explicitly say the 70D has the 7D's AF sensor, although it's clearly implied when they call the 19-pt AF 'proven'.

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »

What is your evidence for that statement?  It's not mentioned in the video you linked which you earlier claimed said the 70D has the 7D's dedicated AF sensor (which it does). 

Sorry, I must have quoted the wrong source.

Because the dedicated AF processor is not advertised, I also assumed that the 70D doesn't have it.
But then it popped up in one the technical previews/articles that I've been reading since last night.
Right now I don't actually know which one was that. I thought it was in the video that I linked.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »

alfredo

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »
When shooting an image, the reading from both pixels of the pair is summed. This raises an interesting possibility of an extra stop of dynamic range, depending on how things are implemented. If the 7D2 uses the same technology, will they push the idea further? Allow  a mode with all pixels saved? Combine 4 pixels for 2 stops of DR? Interesting times and possibilities ahead.....

Something that the DIGIC6 may be able to process? Not many people complain the 70D "only" got the DIGIC5+, what are we missing?

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »

Something that the DIGIC6 may be able to process? Not many people complain the 70D "only" got the DIGIC5+, what are we missing?
Dual digic 6?
The best camera is the one in your hands

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »
But we're talking about the dedicated AF processor, a separate chip on the logic board that processes the data from the AF sensor.

I think everyone will agree that it doesn't matter if it's a separate chip or if its integrated into a new, faster digic cpu - the real question is if 19pt af means that it's actually as capable as the 7d in servo mode, worse, or even better (i.e. more precision than the 7d).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
But we're talking about the dedicated AF processor, a separate chip on the logic board that processes the data from the AF sensor.

I think everyone will agree that it doesn't matter if it's a separate chip or if its integrated into a new, faster digic cpu - the real question is if 19pt af means that it's actually as capable as the 7d in servo mode, worse, or even better (i.e. more precision than the 7d).

Except that it very well might matter.  The 5DIII and 70D both have a Digic5+.  The 5DIII is 22 MP at 6 fps = 132 MP/s; the 70D is 20 MP at 7 fps = 140 MP/s, so more is required of the 70D's Digic5+ engine already.  However, the 5DIII does have a dedicated AF processor.  So if the 70D does not (and I still have not seen anything suggesting that it does), that may mean performance has to be sacrificed somewhere...

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
Canon says the 70D will be released near the end of September. Does anyone know or have an educated guess as to when production models will be available to testing sites and publications for more thorough review?

Will they get copies in advance or have to wait until the camera starts shipping?

Of the sample images that Canon has released (at least that I've found) only one is at ISO 1600, nothing higher and nothing that isn't a smallish low resolution image. That's kind of worrisome.

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2013, 05:40:33 PM »

I don't know much about how a camera i constructed but if it resembles a computer server in any way it is rarely tje CPUs that ends up being the bottleneck in data transfer. That normally depends on bus speeds and connectivity components.

Except that it very well might matter.  The 5DIII and 70D both have a Digic5+.  The 5DIII is 22 MP at 6 fps = 132 MP/s; the 70D is 20 MP at 7 fps = 140 MP/s, so more is required of the 70D's Digic5+ engine already.  However, the 5DIII does have a dedicated AF processor.  So if the 70D does not (and I still have not seen anything suggesting that it does), that may mean performance has to be sacrificed somewhere...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2013, 05:40:33 PM »

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2013, 06:47:16 PM »
Of the sample images that Canon has released (at least that I've found) only one is at ISO 1600, nothing higher and nothing that isn't a smallish low resolution image. That's kind of worrisome.

Exactly.

If there were actually an improvement in noise performance, you'd think they would advertise as such with some images at an ISO of 3200-6400; which leads me to believe there is, in fact, no improvement in Raw.
70D  |  40 STM  |  60 Macro  |  17-55  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  Extender 1.4x III  |  PCB Einstein

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »
The sample set on canon.jp shows an ISO 3200 image (sax player).  But no RAW files anywhere, yet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »