October 23, 2014, 10:35:04 AM

Author Topic: Canon wants to make everyone a filmmaker  (Read 4001 times)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon wants to make everyone a filmmaker
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »
The camera has improved all around, Canon seems to be trying to satisfy both types of users and I think they've done a good job.  Faster burst rate, better high ISO performance, 19pt AF, and then the AF on the video side of things. 

That being said, I don't see many video professionals taking any interest in this camera.  I have never once wished to have AF while shooting video, the motion picture industry has been using MF since it's inception, people are used to it.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »
1080p at 60fps would have likely made me an instant buyer.  Even 1080p at 48fps would have been a major step towards instant buyer.  Not sure what the hold up to offering these features really is - I don't believe it's only technical...  I do appreciate the ALL-I recording format, like the 5DMk3 offers. That alone is a significant step of an upgrade compared to the Rebel line.

ALL-I is worthless and offers no improvement in image quality whatsoever, what do you like about it so much?  And do you shoot that much slow motion that lack of 60P is enough to keep you from buying an otherwise much-improved camera?
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »
I think your title is a bit off, I feel that the situation is just the opposite.
There are and have been aspiring film makers out there, which is why we had 8mm, 16mm, super 8, betacorders, vhs camcorders, super vhs, 8mm video tape, and a lot more.
Canon is merely trying to make a profit by providing a product that aspiring film makers want, and not trying to make anyone into a film maker.
I've made super 8 films, Betacorder films, VHS, VHS C, Super VHS, 8mm, and more before DSLR's included video.  I've never been particularly good at it, but have made, edited, and distributed videos.

I no longer do that, but I admire those who are creative and want to produce a creative work.  The tools to do that totally eclipse what I had to start with which was just a film splicer, then a video tape editor which was a glorified film splicer, and finally digital video with its amazing range of editing possibilities.

More tools are better.  The only thing that the tools have not yet managed to do is to reduce the time it takes to watch a video, 15 minutes of wobbly hand held video with zooming all over the place and unnecessary footage is just as awful as it ever was.  Fortunately,  quality is vastly improving and that's good.

bsbeamer

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 01:55:39 PM »
1080p at 60fps would have likely made me an instant buyer.  Even 1080p at 48fps would have been a major step towards instant buyer.  Not sure what the hold up to offering these features really is - I don't believe it's only technical...  I do appreciate the ALL-I recording format, like the 5DMk3 offers. That alone is a significant step of an upgrade compared to the Rebel line.

ALL-I is worthless and offers no improvement in image quality whatsoever, what do you like about it so much?  And do you shoot that much slow motion that lack of 60P is enough to keep you from buying an otherwise much-improved camera?

shooting b-roll in 1/2 speed would be great to offer for some clients in a smaller/cheaper/portable camera.  even if it were only a 10-12 second "burst" style mode that would be a great feature to have, when needed.  and no, I don't shoot 1080/60p for everything and have no desire to.  much prefer 1080/30p over 720/60p for that matter as well, and not just because of resolution.  don't do a TON of slow motion work, but that's mainly because it's not offered in the camera bodies I regularly use.  having the option would open some creative, in-budget options for clients - that's all.

I've had clients ask to shoot in ALL-I mode on the 5DMk3 before.  having the option is great to be able to offer on a crop body, when needed.  some stock houses and broadcast ONLY want high bandwidth files, regardless of the visual improvement or difference (and it's not the magical 50Mbps 422 that they really like to see).  if this opens the door to more channels of revenue or opportunity somewhere down the line, then that's great for all who use it.

Niki

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 03:26:06 PM »
for high end jobs it's Arri for digital or film cameras...but Canon does have nice b cameras...that shoot stills

c3hammer

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »
Auto Focus for video is hugely advantageous for documentary type work on the fly.  The ability to do lower light colorfully beautiful images in your doc work would be a huge benefit.  Panasonic GH3 and their new G6 do amazing autofocus tracking for steadicam work with virtually no focus pumping.  The new G6 is particularly good at keeping a subject in focus regardless what else comes into the field of view.

The ability to get clean noise and moire free images at ISO3200 with a bit more sharpness will place Canon again a step ahead of the pack and drag all us neophyte filmmakers running back to shoot with our bags full of Canon glass.

Cheers,
Pete
http://vimeo.com/petecarney

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
How do I feel about it?

I want to hate it. However, I'm too old to really care.

What you surmise to be the future will probably happen, at least some variation of it. I've said about the same thing. I've said there simply will be no still cameras as we know them -- 20-to-40 years from now. Everything will be video and any picture you see that is non-moving will be simply a frame selected from video -- and it will surpass in IQ anything we can do with any still camera available today.

Whatever happens in that future I won't be along for the tour. My 5D3 and I will ride off happily into the sunset one of these days. The camera body will then go into a miniscule "estate" while the other body gets hauled off to the crematorium. I guess if there's some sort of reincarnation, I'll come back as an ordinary videographer. And I'll look with amusement and wonder at the "old days" when equipment was so rudimentary that people captured life one frame at a time.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »
As long as the new features don't detract for the taking of stills, I see it as a nice bonus.  I've never used my dslr for video though.  If I feel the need to shoot video, I have a FLIP camera for that.
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

Strobe the globe

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 60D | 10-22mm, 18-200mm, 50mm | Speedlite 600EX-RT
    • View Profile
    • Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 10:56:12 PM »
The video capability of the 70D is long overdue, and will be muchly appreciated. I find having video capability with DSLR quality is a often-used handy feature. I hope the sound quality will also be an improvement from the 60D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 10:56:12 PM »