September 02, 2014, 11:23:31 PM

Author Topic: Which photographers do you admire or are influenced by?  (Read 8094 times)

OmarSV11

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Omar Sierralta
Re: Which photographers do you admire or are influenced by?
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
For portraiture:

- Anton Corbijn is a must for contemporary portraiture
- Erwin Olaf for his different way of seeing what's normal
- Editta Sherman for classic/hollywood portraits

For fashion:

- Richard Avedon as a mastermind of light and being futuristic with his work
- Helmut Newton for pushing erotic into fashion
- Steven Meisel because he's Steven Meisel
- Bill Cunningham for being the original sartorialist and his always happy aproach to his work

For nudes:

- Bruno Bisang because he's a master of molding more beauty of already beautiful women
- Simon Bolz, contemporary nude photog with a great aesthetics of nudes (www.simonbolz.com)

Street:

- Vivian Maier hands down (I get goosebumps when I see her pictures)
- Joel Meyerowitz I love this guy a lot, amazing color work

Reportage:

- Don McCullin because he has and incredible sensitivity on human life and an incredible eye
- James Nachtway because he's crazy as hell

I can keep adding more, but maybe tomorrow I'll learn of 10 more photographers that I'd love... In my head this list constantly grows and amazes me how many incredible people are in this world of capturing images.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2013, 08:58:47 AM »
Don McCullin

shutterwideshut

• EOS M2
  • IR and Long Exposure junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2013, 09:22:27 AM »
Infrared: Deborah Sandidge
B&W Landscape: Ansel Adams
Landscape: Darwin Wigett

My Flickr
5D3 ı 7D ı 50D(IR) ı 20D(IR) ı TS-E24 f/3.5L II ı 17-40 f/4L ı 24-70 f/2.8L II ı 70-200 f/4L IS ı 100 f/2.8L  Macro IS ı 40 f/2.8 ı 50 f/1.4 ı 85 f/1.8 ı 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 ı Lensbaby Composer Pro ı Rokinon 8mm ı 600EX-RT/ST-E3-RT

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
  • Fine art photographer based in Miami.
    • View Profile
    • D RYAN PARKER Fine Art Photography
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »
Rodney Smith (rodneysmith.com) is one of my personal favorites. I love his style. Compelling, simple compositions.
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

atrocious

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »
Surprised that it's not yet mentioned here but one of the olden-goldens and a huge inspiration is Garry Winogrand.

TeenTog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Teen Tog
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2013, 10:31:32 AM »
B&W- Ansel Adams
Adventure- Galen Rowell
Photojournalist- James Nachtwey
All around favorite- Scott Kelby
Rebel T3, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, EF 50mm f/1.8, 430EX II, Nikon EL 2, Assorted Nikkor primes

aprotosimaki

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
Stanko Abadzic for one. I also admire some of my instructors and fellow students. But Abadzic is my favorite living pro.

I love Stanko Abadzic too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »

dgbarar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
I was surprised to not see Ed Weston or David Muench mentioned.  They are the one that have influenced me the most.  I began my photography experience in the 1980s with my Linhof Technica IV 4 x 5 attempting to emulate their style.

Today, I find myself using my Canon 5D Mark II as a mini view camera without the movements.  Gotta love the ability to be able to take several images focused at various points to result in a depth of focus I was never able to get by tilting the front standard.  However, I do miss the field compression that long focal length lenses provided with 4x5 and a "normal" field of view.

Don

aprotosimaki

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2013, 11:49:26 PM »
I was surprised to not see Ed Weston or David Muench mentioned.  They are the one that have influenced me the most.  I began my photography experience in the 1980s with my Linhof Technica IV 4 x 5 attempting to emulate their style.

Today, I find myself using my Canon 5D Mark II as a mini view camera without the movements.  Gotta love the ability to be able to take several images focused at various points to result in a depth of focus I was never able to get by tilting the front standard.  However, I do miss the field compression that long focal length lenses provided with 4x5 and a "normal" field of view.

Don

Don,

I just checked out David Muench's photography since I had never heard of him before. Thanks for the lead.

I know of Ed Weston's work already and I too really like his photography.

Out of interest which software do you use for stacking images taken at different focus points?

Thanks

Si

northbyten

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2013, 02:29:14 AM »
most of my favourite photographers are on dA or Flickr.

I haven't heard of most of the photographers that have been mentioned.

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2013, 05:27:06 AM »
I picked up a camera because I was interested in the power of photography.  I became interested in gear, but really a great image interests me more than a great new innovation.
Great intro! Gear is tool, nothing more, nothing less ...

Now to the main theme:
I really enjoyed to read Bruce Barnbaums "The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression"
- the book title is "program". He tries to open all the dogmas of photography like "there has to be black and white in an image" or "you have to compose after the rule xyz".

Before I read the book I have defined photography as "pure photography" - results out of camera are real photography. But these photographs have NOT shown what I have seen, they have been without "personal expression".

Another important perspective of Bruce Barnbaum: It is nothing wrong with a photograph which shows a lot of detail/things - but it is not easy to create great photographs with a lot of stuff in it.

Here a link to Bruce Barnbaum's web site: http://www.barnbaum.com/barnbaum/Portfolios/Portfolios.html

... and a shot that I haven't liked in full color but after converting to B/W and manipulating the contrast curve (after reading Barnbaum's book) I really like it (Lake Garda, Italy, late spring):
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:30:42 AM by mb66energy »
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2013, 05:27:06 AM »