September 22, 2014, 06:28:40 AM

Author Topic: "My Menu" settings, what do you register?  (Read 633 times)

discojuggernaut

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
"My Menu" settings, what do you register?
« on: July 30, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »
Here are mine, with the logic behind them (5D3):

External speedlite control: to control flash on or off, mode, curtain, manual strength.  Very useful with ETTL triggers.

Expo comp: bracketing, HDR, EV

Custom controls: for switching on/off back-button quickly when handing to other people (better than green box IMHO, especially if i have settings dialed in with flash)

LCD brightness: not the best pick, since auto is fine, but nice to have the option for playback

Custom shooting mode: awesome for setting a scene on the fly.  I rarely set my Custom modes permanently, and if i did, i'd forget what mode is what (and different lenses may make them irrelevant).  I usually set an ideal C mode for flash, and one for shooting wide open.  It's nice to set the wide open one to shoot with the external flash disabled, so that i can go from flash to wide open with one twist of the control dial rather than the multiple steps involved in changing via manual controls (turn off flash, adjust ISO/shutter/aperture)

ISO speed settings: for limiting Auto-ISO ranges in specific shooting conditions and minimum shutter speed.

honorable mentions:  Image quality, Number of Bracketed shots (for 3/5/7 HDR), Highlight alert (blinkies sometimes bother me).

(T2i/550D has a function for "Shutter/AE lock button" which directly addresses back button focus.  Also has an "ISO Auto" function for max ISO)

canon rumors FORUM

"My Menu" settings, what do you register?
« on: July 30, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: "My Menu" settings, what do you register?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »
Mine for the 1D X. Reminds me that I need to set this up on my EOS M.

Format card: I swap out the card in slot 1 after almost every shoot, so I prefer easy access to re-format.

Battery info: Good to know charge remaining in more detail than the battery icon.

External Speedlite control: A bit easier than changing settings on the ST-E3-RT; with three 600EX-RT flashes, the three groups are sufficient for my needs most of the time.

Selectable AF point: I usually have this set this to only cross-type points for selection speed and focus accuracy, but with an f/5.6 lens (70-300L, 100-400L, or 600II + 1.4xIII), I often want to be able to select points away from the center columns.

Save/load cam settings on card: I have different groups of C# settings, e.g. people, sports, birds, etc.  They're saved to each of several CF cards that I keep in various camera bags, and I load the set that's needed for my planned shoot.

Restrict shooting modes: In some of my settings groups, C1 is for tripod use (MLU, timer, etc.), while C2 and C3 are for non-tripod use.  I disable C1 when not needed, so the M.Fn button can more quickly cycle through the settings (it goes from C2 to C3 to which ever of Av/Tv/M was last used, so it's one button press from C2 to C3 and two button presses back to C2).

I do have the Start from My Menu option enabled.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

Re: "My Menu" settings, what do you register?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »