April 23, 2014, 03:07:15 AM

Author Topic: Prefer my 1D Mk III to 5D Mk III, dollar for dollar  (Read 4268 times)

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
Re: Prefer my 1D Mk III to 5D Mk III, dollar for dollar
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »
And, until now, I kind a higher opinion of the folks here. Oh well, whatever. Bye.

Sorry we won'r hear more from you!;)
5DII w/grip, (1Ds III), 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, (200/2L) 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »

kennephoto

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 10:09:54 PM »
And, until now, I kind a higher opinion of the folks here. Oh well, whatever. Bye.

Sorry we won'r hear more from you!;)

Aw sorry! Didn't think I was being remotely close to mean or harsh! You don't have to leave, this forum is so much fun!
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 10:33:21 PM »

You seem to have ignored my thoughtful reply!!  Sheesh...

No Good Turn goes unpunished

Something we learn as we get Older

But I thought your Post was exemplary, thoughtful and Kind

And in the Immortal Last say of (And Often the first Say) our good friend Nuero, to the Op

H&G
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

RGomezPhotos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »
I can never understand photographers who think about how much money they can get when they sell their gear.  Why buy gear in the first place?   ;)
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

Robert Welch

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 12:01:30 AM »
I have both mkIII bodies, so I guess I'm qualified to comment. First, I'll say one advantage of the 1DmkIII is the higher flash sync speed. This is not trivial for someone who needs it. The other advantages of build quality have already been mentioned.

The 5DmkIII is my most used camera, but there are situations I still love to use the 1DmkIII, often for use when I need the extra sync speed. But also to keep some of the shutter count down on the 5DmkIII. They both have dual card slots, so that is important to me. For that reason, the 1DmkIII is my backup for the 5DmkIII should it ever need to go to the shop.

It's a matter of what works, the 1DmkIII has excellent IQ, quite good enough for most all situations, except where very high ISO or extra MP for cropping is desired. When I get a good 10MP image from the 1DmkIII, there is very little I can't do with it in terms of printing large prints, etc. So bottom line, it's functionally very useful, and is very pleasing to use.

Would I sell it to replace it with another camera? I've thought about it, but for the money I can get for it, I don't think it's worth selling. I'd rather keep it than sell it for what they are fetching these days. I agree with the original post, dollar for dollar, the two MKIII cameras are pretty much on par with each other, given that the older camera is valued on todays market at less than half what the newer camera sells for. In my opinion, it's well more than half the camera.

Robert Welch

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 12:16:53 AM »
Upon further contemplation, another issue that I think affects the value of the 1DmkIII is the number of these that have been reported to have AF issues. Many of us own models that don't seem to have this problem. One would think that if we have one that isn't, it should be worth more money (if you can prove that it doesn't). But, the over all reputation of this camera for many was that it does have AF issues, and the market reflects this perception by depressing it's value. From what I can see, I'd probably do well to sell my camera today for $1000. Not much more than a used 7D. About 1/3rd a mkIV or 5DmkIII. That is a very depressed value for the camera, which to my mind makes it one of the best values on the used camera market. If you are looking to buy the best camera you can for $1k or less, I can't think of a better one than the 1DmkIII. As an owner of one, that makes me unwilling to part with mine, it's cheaper to keep her.

al-toidz photography

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 02:45:44 AM »
@Robert Welch....very true. I thought about selling my 1D mark iii but I cant let go of it because of that same reason. I also own a 1Ds mark iii which i would not let go until it dies on me (dead pixel, drown in water, get stolen, etc). I've rented 5D mark iii for a engagement shoot i did for two reason, first, because I want to see and perhaps experience what is it like to have 5D mark iii, second, because I sent both my 1D series for clean up. Personally, Im not impress with 5D mark iii except for high ISO capability and focus system. For what I do, the focus system of both my camera are more than enough.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 02:45:44 AM »

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 03:57:53 AM »
Faxon don't go forever. You having the 1D Mk lll makes me think that your experiences might be helpful to us. Harry
Muff just posted his opinion. It isn't obvious at first read as to why you posted this. You don't want to turn a quick profit
at someone else's expense. Which is admirable. You really like your Camera so much that the 5D lll can't tear you away
from it. I started with a 40D and for me a 10 mega pixel camera was fine for my purposes. Cameras don't last forever
so it's always good to be up to date on what's available.
I felt the same way about the 50D, which is a nice camera but I didn't want to upgrade until 40D went error 99. :-[
I liked your pics on Flikr. They looked great! So this has been an interesting post after all.
I'm sure more replies will come. :)   
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »

You seem to have ignored my thoughtful reply!!  Sheesh...

No Good Turn goes unpunished

Something we learn as we get Older

But I thought your Post was exemplary, thoughtful and Kind

And in the Immortal Last say of (And Often the first Say) our good friend Nuero, to the Op

H&G

Thanks very much!  I'm glad I'm still young enough not to be old...unfortunately also not quite young enough to not be old!

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 02:11:52 PM »
Faxon don't go forever. You having the 1D Mk lll makes me think that your experiences might be helpful to us. Harry
Muff just posted his opinion. It isn't obvious at first read as to why you posted this. You don't want to turn a quick profit
at someone else's expense. Which is admirable. You really like your Camera so much that the 5D lll can't tear you away
from it. I started with a 40D and for me a 10 mega pixel camera was fine for my purposes. Cameras don't last forever
so it's always good to be up to date on what's available.
I felt the same way about the 50D, which is a nice camera but I didn't want to upgrade until 40D went error 99. :-[
I liked your pics on Flikr. They looked great! So this has been an interesting post after all.
I'm sure more replies will come. :)

Well said, nice positive comments!

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 02:40:33 AM »
Thanks CarlTN.
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

Menace

• 1D Mark IV
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 04:22:41 AM »
I have both of these bodies and I love them both - different tools for different jobs :)
1Dx | 5D III
50 1.2L | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 04:22:41 AM »