November 21, 2014, 10:32:45 PM

Author Topic: ...and now Smugmug.  (Read 22934 times)

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Michael Bonocore Photography
Re: ...and now Smugmug.
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2013, 06:45:50 AM »
OK.  I am "converted."  Bear in mind that I am not a professional and merely use the site to share stuff with friends.  I've still got tons of galleries to load.  This is just one thing to add to my list......

I'll live with this a while and gradually change it.

www.jpacker.smugmug.com

Looks great! I love your photos from Myramar!
Community Manager At SmugMug.

Avid photographer...never without my Canon 5D Mark III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2013, 06:45:50 AM »

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2013, 07:05:44 AM »
I haven't rolled yet, need to spend some time playing with it.  http://www.soundersfcfan.com

There are 2 big issues for me:
- Image size (max 50mb) and type (jpeg)
- Dualing identities (lots of historical data under one profile, but not stuff I want to carry forward into new brand)

Next week I start shooting 50mp at 16bit, so I'm looking at quickly needing solutions.  I'm already needing to chase down a local print shop.

We do have a SmugVault, which would allow you to accomplish this http://www.smugmug.com/price/smugvault.mg

You can easily have dueling identities on one site, as long as you build it in such a way that the links you build stay within your current identity. You could manage all the content for both identities through one organizer.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »
Still no answer on the copyright issue???

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2013, 02:56:01 AM »
Still no answer on the copyright issue???

Hmmmm, I replied in comment #86, but for some reason my text isn't there...just the quote. I sincerely apologize.

I had asked if you could point me to the specific location on your site or in your Source code where you are seeing this.

Thanks!

Michael

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2013, 11:06:11 PM »
Well, I finally figured out the copyright notice thing, at least in a way that works for me. You can turn off the standard footer and that takes all copyright notice out of the picture. Still not best, but at least it doesn't assign it to Smugmug.

I updated to a Smugmug design today -- so, as others have gone public....

http://wetracy.smugmug.com/

The overall look is dramatically improved. Navigation suffers though.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2013, 01:22:22 AM »
1. they allow wide gamut images yet?
Can you provide an example?

Sure, if you have a wide gamut monitor set to wide gamut mode and use say Firefox browser you should see that this image (hosted by Zenfolio where they do not allow wide gamut, nor did (does?) Smugmug) looks like the reds are clipped and many of the leaves are like a single shade without much detail since many of the shades on the red leaves were too intense for the sRGB gamut:

so it looks a bit duller and less detailed than say this one (hosted by Flickr where they allow wide gamut) where the colors of leaves fit inside the ProphotoRGB gamut and inside the native gamut of most wide gamut monitors:

And same for this pair where first it is clipped to sRGB by Zenfolio:

And then allowed to be seen in full glory in wide gamut on Flickr for the times you want that and trust the viewer and/or tell them how to handle non sRGB images:

(If you don't have a wide gamut gallery you won't be able to tell what I am talking about since by definition you can't see any colors beyond sRGB on it. So they will look the same regardless of the host (unless you use Chrome which has no color-management and then the Flickr ones will looks dull and ugly). On a wide gamut monitor if you use IE it automatically converts all images to sRGB and then ignores the monitor profile so IE displays ANY and ALL on the web from text to colors to images of any gamut WRONG on a wide gamut monitor in wide gamut mode, they all look radioactive. I don't think anyone ever used IE if they are running in wide gamut mode. It does makes wide gamut hosted images look reasonably fine on a regular monitor though, basically every browser at least does that these days other than Chrome (the single worst browser for photo lovers to use). But even on a regular monitor IE doesn't really get ANY images correct unless you can a fancy monitor with full 3D internal LUT and calibration since it ignores monitor profiles and doesn't make any corrects for errors in your monitor and it doesn't remap tone responses (for instance many people calibrate their monitor to gamma 2.2 but sRGB images don't actually use gamma 2.2 but something special it is close to gamma 2.2 but different, so if you use IE to view images on a monitor that has been calibrated to gamma 2.2 you will see crushed dark tones and slightly overblown contrast and potentially slightly overblown saturation and highlight curves will be slightly off too so nothing will look quite like it did when the person was editing the photo in Photoshop, which is fully color-managed and compensates for tone curve differences).)

2. you can now quickly clone galleries without having to one by one duplicate each photos and then grab each duplicate over?

Not currently, but I will put it in as a Feature Request

That would be nice to have, back when I used smugmug I put in the request, a few years ago at this point I think, and nothing ever came of it.

3. or do stuff like in zenfolio where you can upload a gallery and then re-use any of the photos, maintaining their captions and everything in multiple collections instantly (so you could say upload a master gallery of say all decent photos from a hike and then make a collection that just contains the very best few shots and then maybe another where you give people PW access to full size originals or then re-use some in other collection that is maybe best shots from a certain state or whatnot?)
Sounds like Smart Galleries is what you are looking for http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93308-what-are-smart-galleries-gather-photos-based-on-keywords-

Well that isn't quite what I mean, but I suppose you could use smart galleries to mimic it and use that to do it.

I guess you could add as a keyboard "best" to each of the best images contained in a completest gallery and then add a rule to draw images from that gallery having keyword best.

Although one issue I see is that it says you are allowed only five rules and what if you wanted to make a best of gallery that draw from a whole bunch of different galleries, if each gallery counts as rule and searching for keyword best is a rule I'd think you could only draw from max four different galleries? If so that would be very limiting. But I didn't read that over carefully yet, just an ultra quick peek, and maybe it wouldn't end up limited in that fashion and maybe draw from gallery so and so is only one rule and it can have an unlimited list of names for "so and so". if so then yeah I guess smart galleries would do it.

Hope this helps!

thanks
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:36:08 AM by LetTheRightLensIn »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2013, 01:35:12 AM »
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2013/20130419_3-color-gamut-of-fruit.html

And yet, of ALL places, Zenfolio and Smugmug BAN wide gamut images! There is no way to turn of forcibly conversion into sRGB even when you 100% KNOW you DO NOT WANT THAT TO BE DONE.

Or at least that used to be the case with Smugmug. I was wondering if that has been changed with the new Smugmug 2.0 or not.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2013, 01:35:12 AM »

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2013, 10:26:51 PM »
While I understand the desire to see a wide gamut image doesn't this create a problem for clients who lack the appropriate monitor setting and browser?

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2013, 12:48:10 PM »
I'm OVER the new SmugMug and this is the last straw.  I can't delete a custom URL to reuse it, despite having deleted the category using it.  I tried to send an email and this is what I received.  I finally got my site halfway decent and then they raised prices and unveiled this "New" crap.  I haven't been able to rebuild my site worth a damn.  I'm done with them.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2013, 01:18:43 PM »
I noticed that they were slow on the 14th, so they were having some sort of issue.  Its the only time in three years I've seen this, so I'm not unhappy, it happens to all systems occasionally.

They are up and running now, and really fast, so hopefully the issue is solved.

http://status.smugmug.com/

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »
I noticed that they were slow on the 14th, so they were having some sort of issue.  Its the only time in three years I've seen this, so I'm not unhappy, it happens to all systems occasionally.

They are up and running now, and really fast, so hopefully the issue is solved.

http://status.smugmug.com/
I'm sorry to rant about them, it just seems that they have made converting an old, customized site, into one of their new sites so much more difficult than it should be.  I'm just really frustrated because I have been trying to do this since they unveiled the new look and my patience has worn very thin.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »
I did find that the help pages were a bit thin, I spent more time than I'd like fooling around with it, but it is nicer and more powerful.  I still haven't figured out a couple of minor things. 

I did not have to change my custom URL, so I did not have that issue to fool with.

I believe they use Amazon servers, so the slowness issue and downtime were likely the fault of Smugmug.

I'd have bought DXO 9, but there is no direct export to Smugmug like I have with Lightroom.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2013, 03:59:27 AM »
While I understand the desire to see a wide gamut image doesn't this create a problem for clients who lack the appropriate monitor setting and browser?

So long as they have the proper browser it wouldn't look any worse for them than if it had been in sRGB to begin with. And i'm not saying you have to post everything in wide gamut, but we sure as heck should have the option to create some wide gamut galleries if we want to for those that don't use a terrible browser and/or have a wide gamut monitor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2013, 03:59:27 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2013, 03:11:32 AM »
it just seems that they have made converting an old, customized site, into one of their new sites so much more difficult than it should be.  I'm just really frustrated because I have been trying to do this since they unveiled the new look and my patience has worn very thin.
+1 ... I've been using Smugmug for about year (I think), but when they changed it to the new version, everything seems to be that much more difficult ... still trying to get my head around to get the look I want ... otherwise, I do like Smugmug.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2013, 06:34:13 AM »
it just seems that they have made converting an old, customized site, into one of their new sites so much more difficult than it should be.  I'm just really frustrated because I have been trying to do this since they unveiled the new look and my patience has worn very thin.
+1 ... I've been using Smugmug for about year (I think), but when they changed it to the new version, everything seems to be that much more difficult ... still trying to get my head around to get the look I want ... otherwise, I do like Smugmug.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.  It seems that everything I did to customize my old site is now screwing up my ability to create a new one. I have a custom gallery with a URL (/books) and even though I've deleted it, it won't let me create a page.  Also, I despise square thumbnails, but they love them so much that it looks like I have to go to each gallery to change them to rectangular.  It just seems that they want everyone to choose from one of the 10 or so cookie-cutter designs and if you don't like them, it will take hours to customize it.  I don't like any of their designs.  And then as I posted above, as soon as I type out a lengthy email asking for help, the email fails to go through and I have lost the entire message I typed up.  If I didn't have thousands of photos up there, I'd switch.  But now it looks like I'm going to have to waste at least 2-3 solid days re-doing my site unless I pay one of their "customizers" which I'm beginning to think is part of the game. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2013, 06:34:13 AM »