April 23, 2014, 12:32:36 PM

Author Topic: Fixed Lens APS-C camera - What would you buy?  (Read 2927 times)

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
Fixed Lens APS-C camera - What would you buy?
« on: July 24, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
I would like a pocket camera with an APS-C sensor and a sharp and contrasty fixed FF equivalent 24mm f/2.8 lens, and a swivel screen.

Would you buy one of these?

What fixed focal length would you want? FF 16mm, 21mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm , or greater?

canon rumors FORUM

Fixed Lens APS-C camera - What would you buy?
« on: July 24, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed Lens APS-C camera - What would you buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
35mm FF-eq.  Thus, I now have the EOS-M + 22mm f/2.  :)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »
35mm FF-eq.  Thus, I now have the EOS-M + 22mm f/2.  :)

I just received mine today from the original $299 deal. B&H sent me the kit with the speedlite 90EX ... Bonus !

If Canon comes out with a nice little 15mm f/2.8, I'll have everything but the swivel screen  :). I sure would like a swivel screen, maybe the EOS-M II, if it comes, will have a swivel screen.

northbyten

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:28:39 AM »
pretty much what everyone else said.

although I would want better AF, battery life, ISO and a more efficient codec (maybe a bit too early for H.265 :( )

Their rebel line has barely been upgraded since the 550D and the EOS M was essentially a small Rebel so I want something that just isn't a rehash.

I've been eyeing the Olympus E-P5, other than the movie mode it seems to have excellent AF and image quality especially since it's got a 4/3 sensor.

I sometimes wish I worked with the Canon engineers just to see what they're developing

Hannes

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 05:19:36 AM »
I would like one with a 22mm f2.0 IS lens (so 35mm FF equiv), optical viewfinder and if there is a little flash for snapshots, perfect. If it was also weather sealed, that'd be amazing. Swivel screen would be less important to me.

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 06:13:27 AM »
My last fixed lens camera was a Yashica Electo 35 GSN with a 45mm f/1.7 lens.  If I was to choose another fixed lens camera, I'd probably want something similar, and would stay in the 40 - 50mm range.  Occassionally I take a look at the Fuji x100s, but wonder if the 35mm (eq) is a little w - i - d - e for me to be using all of the time.  I guess I can always crop.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

seamonster

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 08:21:28 AM »
It would have to be reaaaally small for me to buy it. Like S100 sized. I could so without a viewfinder as long as live view is 100% (pretty much everything is these days).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 08:21:28 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:37:58 AM »
I just received mine today from the original $299 deal. B&H sent me the kit with the speedlite 90EX ... Bonus !

That was a sweet deal, and I'm glad that B&H honored their backorders, even if it meant providing a more expensive item to their customers, vs. cancelling their backorders as Adorama did.

Almost makes me wish I'd waited to order the M + 22 kit from B&H.  But while I wouldn't have said no to a free 90EX, I'd likely not use it much or at all - I really prefer to bounce flash where possible, and even for outdoor fill the 90EX is pretty weak; I think the 270EX II is likely a better choice, although a little larger.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:09:38 AM »
Modular is the way.

A GR Digital becomes obselete, you replace the whole camera.

An M becomes outdated, you replace the body...

Makes a whole lot more sense to me.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
I'd likely not use it much or at all - I really prefer to bounce flash where possible, and even for outdoor fill the 90EX is pretty weak; I think the 270EX II is likely a better choice, although a little larger.

The 90EX does work as a wireless E-TTL master for optically triggered EX guns.  Quite handy for some.  I would rather use my T3i or 7D for wireless flash, but it might be handy function for somebody.

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »

That was a sweet deal, and I'm glad that B&H honored their backorders, even if it meant providing a more expensive item to their customers, vs. cancelling their backorders as Adorama did.

Almost makes me wish I'd waited to order the M + 22 kit from B&H.  But while I wouldn't have said no to a free 90EX, I'd likely not use it much or at all - I really prefer to bounce flash where possible, and even for outdoor fill the 90EX is pretty weak; I think the 270EX II is likely a better choice, although a little larger.

I have always found B&H to have great service, and great prices, but this really surprised me  ;D.

I took a few test shots with the little flash. It's not bad. Refresh was about 1 second (not from full power). The e-ttl works quite well, and it works as a controller of other canon flashes. It is tiny too, you can put it in your pocket and not even know it's there. My initial thought was that I'd sell it (I have the original 270, a 580, and a couple of other generics ) , but I'm going to give it a good try.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
The 90EX does work as a wireless E-TTL master for optically triggered EX guns.  Quite handy for some.  I would rather use my T3i or 7D for wireless flash, but it might be handy function for somebody.

True...and it's a great way to go if you want an optical master for a FF dSLR or an older APS-C that can't trigger with the popup flash.

But for somebody other than me, as I prefer the -RT setup.  :)

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 09:27:16 AM »
Modular is the way.

A GR Digital becomes obselete, you replace the whole camera.

An M becomes outdated, you replace the body...

Makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Agree, and if Canon comes out with a nice little 15mm f/2.8 prime I'll just have to learn to live without a swivel screen.

I have used swivel screens on a number of other cameras, and I love it! It saves your neck and your back sometimes, and you can get shots that you have to guess at with other cameras. We mounted a 60D upside down on an inside car windshield with a tokina 11-16 for video. That would have been next to impossible with a fixed screen. I shot a film on my 5DII a couple years ago. We had to use an external monitor on several shots because the camera was against a wall, or a ceiling, and I had to pull focus during the video.

The swivel screen has many many upsides, and the only potential downside is weather resistant (not applicable on EOS-M), and a possible point of failure. I've had several swivel's and haven't broken one even with fairly heavy use.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:10:51 AM by Etienne »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 09:27:16 AM »

dickgrafixstop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 11:05:38 AM »
I didn't care about a swivel screen but I did want a small, fixed lens camera for travel.  I bought a Fuji X100s
and am delighted.  As good or better image quality than my "travel" Rebel, lightweight but just a little larger
than I'd hoped.  Very satisfied with it however - now if I could just put it in the microwave and set a dial for
75% size.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 11:22:14 AM »
I would like a pocket camera with an APS-C sensor and a sharp and contrasty fixed FF equivalent 24mm f/2.8 lens, and a swivel screen.
Would you buy one of these?

definitely no. I will never let myself be constrained, limited and restricted by a single focal lens, one-trick pony camera.

That's why I refuse purchase of any and all cameras without lens mount from Sony RX-1 via Fuji-stuff all the way to Sigma's DP-Merry-thisandthat. :-)

I want a full fledged, fully capable full-sensored mirrorless system camera the size of a Sony RX-1 with great sensor and processor, fast phase/hybrid AF and in-body IS and a range of hi-quality but affordable, ultracompact (fixed-focal) AF-lenses.  Ideally as sharp an good and small and cheap as the EF 40/2.8. It could easily  be done. :-)

My preferred lens trio would be along the lines of 22mm/2.8, 40mm/2.0 (just make that front element somewhat larger), 70mm/2.4 [size exactly like the Pentax 70/2.4].

Maybe Sony will come up with something along these lines soon and force Canon and Nikon to move a bit quicker in the "mirrorless-and-fully-capable" direction. :-)
http://photorumors.com/2013/07/16/sony-full-frame-nex-mirrorless-camera-rumors-intensify/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 11:22:14 AM »