December 19, 2014, 05:11:26 AM

Author Topic: Transporting of tripod/monopod (overseas travel)  (Read 3014 times)

Mr Bean

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Transporting of tripod/monopod (overseas travel)
« on: August 07, 2013, 06:37:03 PM »
Hi,

I've booked in for a photography workshop in Canada, early next March, and I'm planning on taking my Gitzo GT2541 tripod and Gitzo GM2541 monopod. Since they are both carbon fiber, I'm aware of the fact that such materials, while strong, can be affected by side impacts or crushing.

So my question is, any ideas on how to protect these things from the brutalities of a long flight (baggage handlers, other baggage, etc)?

To add to the complications, I tend to travel with a large backpack, and on this occasion, snow skis and boots, since our ski season in Oz is a little ordinary at the moment ;)

The backpack is easier for me to carry, when juggling 2-3 bags by myself. And, I do have a heavy zip bag that I place the backpack into for travel (to save the straps from getting caught up and cut by the airlines).

Thanks,

Mr Bean
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

canon rumors FORUM

Transporting of tripod/monopod (overseas travel)
« on: August 07, 2013, 06:37:03 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Transporting of tripod/monopod (overseas travel)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »
For the tripod I'd take the legs off of the center casting; That will make them a little more damage tolerant and perhaps easier to pack too.  After that maybe roll them in bubble wrap and put them either in your carry-on if they'll fit or between the ribs of your suitcase.  Stuffing them into the smallest piece of PVC pipe that works is an option too if you can afford the space.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:35:55 PM »
Can you wrap your tripod and monopod well and place in into whatever you are using to transport your skis?
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

Mr Bean

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »
For the tripod I'd take the legs off of the center casting; That will make them a little more damage tolerant and perhaps easier to pack too.  After that maybe roll them in bubble wrap and put them either in your carry-on if they'll fit or between the ribs of your suitcase.  Stuffing them into the smallest piece of PVC pipe that works is an option too if you can afford the space.

Jim
Thanks Jim.

>>Stuffing them into the smallest piece of PVC pipe that works is an option too if you can afford the space.
Actually, that's a great idea. I can fashion the PVC pipe (with end-caps) to strap onto the side of my backpack, then put the whole thing into the zip up bag I use when flying. At the destination, I usually take the backpack out of the zip bag, roll up the zip bag and attach it to the backpack, and off I go.

The PVC pipe will take the knocks, rather than the tripod :)

Can you wrap your tripod and monopod well and place in into whatever you are using to transport your skis?
Thanks JPAZ.
As Jim has suggested, the PVC pipe approach, I'll go for, but yes, I could place the monopod in a PVC pipe, in the ski bag and the tripod in with the backpack.

Thanks folks. I don't know why I didn't think of the PVC pipe idea :)
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:38:37 PM »
Just put the tripod in the checked bag and make sure it has some clothes around. I have done this dozens of times, no problem.

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 01:33:42 AM »
Just put the tripod in the checked bag and make sure it has some clothes around. I have done this dozens of times, no problem.

+1, but I have a Rimowa aluminum-alloy suitcase, which takes the bumps.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:49:45 AM »

+1, but I have a Rimowa aluminum-alloy suitcase, which takes the bumps.

I use cheap Walmart ones, which I change often, and my tripod is CF. The only marks on the tripod are the ones I put there myself!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:49:45 AM »

SPL

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 01:24:58 PM »
Hello,

I just took a trip to Ireland.  I carried on all my camera/lens gear, but also carried on my travel ball head (a RRS BH-30).  I then place my RRS CF tripod in my check through suitcase.  I wrapped the tripod with several layers of my clothes and place it in the center of the suitcase with the rest of my clothes around, beneath and on top of it.  I was a bit worried, but had no problems.  Just my recent travel experience‚Ķ.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »
If you are going to place the tripod inside a pipe, it might be a good idea to have your luggage hand-searched when you check in. A lot of luggage is x-rayed now, and if they see something strange looking it can mean delays, or worse. (in reality, the worst thing that will happen is that they call you to baggage to open the case before they load it) Making your tripod look like a pipe-bomb could be exciting...

I have been wrapping clothes around my tripod when I fly. Never had a problem.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 01:40:48 PM »

So my question is, any ideas on how to protect these things from the brutalities of a long flight (baggage handlers, other baggage, etc)?

To add to the complications, I tend to travel with a large backpack, and on this occasion, snow skis and boots, since our ski season in Oz is a little ordinary at the moment ;)

The backpack is easier for me to carry, when juggling 2-3 bags by myself. And, I do have a heavy zip bag that I place the backpack into for travel (to save the straps from getting caught up and cut by the airlines).

In Canada, if you are getting onto a flight with a backpack, you can get a free heavy-duty plastic bag for the backpack when you check in at the airport... just be carefull not to place a metal waterbottle that could get confused with a camping stove fuel bottle in it.... I got called back to baggage for that one :) If you go the plastic bag route (as opposed to stuffing it into a duffle bag) you transform it from "just another piece of luggage" to "awkward baggage" and save it from being at the bottom of a pile.

Items like skies and poles are usually loaded last... awkward items do not stack well so they get put the on top of the stuff in the baggage compartment so they are less likely to get damaged than a suitcase that has lost of stuff stacked on top.

And have fun!!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:37:04 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

Mr Bean

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 08:21:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The heads on both the tripod and monopod are RRS gear, which I'll remove and carry onboard. I'll probably try out the PVC tube approach, as I'll be carrying my ski boots in the bottom of the back pack and it'll be tricky to put the gear in the pack. Besides, on my way out of the US, ski boots are a handy place to put a couple of bottle of fine Californian red wine ;)

But, in future travels, I'll probably try the "....in the bag with clothing" approach :)

scotty512

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 10:24:52 PM »
if it hasnt been pointed out before be careful having a tripod in carry-on luggage as when I did this in argentina / brazil they considered the legs to be dangerous cargo and had to be check in luggage which caused some problems - i would recommend check in the tripod in, either in the bag or bubble wrapped to death
5D MkIII, 40D, 50 F1.4 100-400 L, 70-200 f2.8 L II, 24-105 f4 L, 2x converter, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-85

DFM

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Adobe Community Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 05:53:13 AM »
There's a particular issue with ball-heads in checked luggage for some countries - if the X-ray shows a dense spherical object with a lump sticking out the side, the hamsters behind the carousels tend to think of Wile-E-Coyote's ACME bombs and will open your bag to investigate without contacting you first. For a colleague who flew through Berlin last month, that resulted in a nice letter inside the case to say it had been "checked and found to be safe", and a drill hole in the ball-head.

Always go through the special baggage channel so you can be on hand if they break out the power tools  ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 05:53:13 AM »

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich st√§rker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 06:32:40 AM »

+1 Done it dozens of times, no damage ever
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »
I simply place my tripod and monopod into the centre of my clothing when packing my case, the idea is to cushion any impact the case takes. That's the complete items, ballheads and all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »