August 23, 2014, 05:28:03 AM

Author Topic: The last Canon crop sensor - ever  (Read 34370 times)

RickSpringfield

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
The last Canon crop sensor - ever
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:56:34 AM »
So here we are ... 2013, almost 2014.  Canon has over a decade of churning out APS-C based cameras.  Canon releases the 6D with FF sensor, that you can now pickup for less than a 7D.  Bodies are made smaller, functionality is increasing, and seemingly limited only by firmware.

Is there an evolutionary path which leaves APS-C behind or exclusively for the point and shoot market?

What if Canon just said 'No more crop for us.  We're in the FF business.  Our cheapest DSLR is 999.99 and that's just the way it is.'

I think this is coming.  3 years from now ... APS-C is going the way of the buggy whip.

bsb03

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: The last Canon crop sensor - ever
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »
I doubt it. Why would canon want to give up their share of the sub 1k market?

paul13walnut5

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Canon aren't selling any APS-C cameras these days.  So I tend to agree.  It's not as if there are new models every six months or anything.  It's not as if they are about to redefine AF on an APS-C body is it?

Because everybody can afford a full frame, and the full frame quality glass required now.

If FF drops in price.  Great.  It's not for me.  I nearly went for a 5D2 and would have done had the 7D not been launched (the 7D which at that point had full manual video exposure and a PAL frame rate - the 5D2 had neither at this point)

It's the one thing that bugs me on this forum.  That you can only aspire to full frame.  That you can only aspire to the most expensive best of kit.

Interesting that they compare a 7D with a 6D by price alone.  As if price is the only sole criteria by which somebody will choose a camera.

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:56:25 AM »

Interesting that they compare a 7D with a 6D by price alone.  As if price is the only sole criteria by which somebody will choose a camera.

+1

The basic premise of the OP is wrong and he should try shooting the 6D and the 7D side by side, they are as different as apples and oranges.

If this were true, there would be no wait for a 7D Mark II now.
Light is language!

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 08:58:13 AM »
Canon aren't selling any APS-C cameras these days....
Really? Check and you'll see they just sell more than anyone else on the planet.
Canon APS-C will be around for a good long time to come. I'd bet the farm on it.

-PW

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »
No. In the years since 2005 when Canon introduced the first 'affordable' FF, APS-c has continued to mature and clearly demonstrate there  is a place for it in the dslr market, and not just at the cheap end.  Maybe not on CR  ;)

I did start a CR 10 commandments thread but it hasn't gone anywhere. With the help of others the first three were:
Thou shalt purchase a 135L
Thou shalt always shoot in RAW
Thou shalt not covert thy neighbours DR

and fourth should be

Thou shalt only shoot FF

Anyway I still use a buggy whip. But that's my business  ;)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:00:45 AM »
The increases pixel density and faster chips would make APS-C DSLR bodies in the future obsolete. But ... as long as APS-C costs significantly less ($655 for the 60D today on Amazon vs. $2,000 for the 6D), the crop format would keep being a good way to lure enthusiasts into their dSLR system.

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 09:09:29 AM »
Canon aren't selling any APS-C cameras these days....
Really? Check and you'll see they just sell more than anyone else on the planet.
Canon APS-C will be around for a good long time to come. I'd bet the farm on it.

-PW

The sarcasm has been missed, I believe.
Light is language!

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »
 there is a ton of money to be made in the bodies and accessories and lenses.   why would Canon day no thank you to a guaranteed revenue stream.   not to mention, I  started in  crop and upgraded to crop and upgraded to full frame.   

it was a path for me like gm  used to have with cars.   your first car was a Pontiac...  then a Buick as a family car and then a Cadillac as a real adult car. 

also,  if  you can hook customers with ef  lenses,  they are les likely to jump to another manufacturer...  so you have stability in market share. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 09:31:09 AM »
It's the one thing that bugs me on this forum.  That you can only aspire to full frame.  That you can only aspire to the most expensive best of kit.

It does seem to get a little ridiculous sometimes, doesn't it?

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 10:09:51 AM »
The increases pixel density and faster chips would make APS-C DSLR bodies in the future obsolete. But ... as long as APS-C costs significantly less ($655 for the 60D today on Amazon vs. $2,000 for the 6D), the crop format would keep being a good way to lure enthusiasts into their dSLR system.

Meanwhile, despite falling sales outside parts of Asia, Panasonic and Olympus continue to release sophisticated m43 cameras, with their even smaller sensors, which cost more than entry-level dslrs!

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »
Add little more cross-type(AF points) to 6D and give it 1-3 more fps, I think people will be all over it, including me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:54:07 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »
Meanwhile, despite falling sales outside parts of Asia, Panasonic and Olympus continue to release sophisticated m43 cameras, with their even smaller sensors, which cost more than entry-level dslrs!

At least they are smaller, and most of them  are not dSLRs. The "enthusiast" crop dSLRs are not so much smaller than the FF dSLRs, and the 7D is actually heavier than the 6D and the same weight as the 5D3. You have a smaller sensor in the same package. The only possible advantage is faster fps due to the smaller mirror but the best way to increase that is to remove the mirror, as Sony does (which creates other problems).

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »

Increases in pixel density means increases in file sizes. 33 MB for a RAW file from a 5D III is enough for me, thank you. The APS-C crop requires only 40% of the file size.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

hgraf

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Herbert Graf Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »
So here we are ... 2013, almost 2014.  Canon has over a decade of churning out APS-C based cameras.  Canon releases the 6D with FF sensor, that you can now pickup for less than a 7D. 

Where exactly can I get a 6D for less then a 7D? Please tell me.

I've regularly seen the 7D approaching $1k on very good sales, for a regular sale:
http://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSLRs/245748/canon-eos-7d-body.aspx

The 6D was just posted on CR for $1500 as a VERY good deal?

Sorry, but you really sound like a troll with a false statement like that.