November 24, 2014, 11:38:37 AM

Author Topic: 600ex as main lights  (Read 7124 times)

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
Re: 600ex as main lights
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
I had a mixture of Canon, Metz, YN flashes and PCB cybersyncs. I sold everything and picked up 3 600's and the STE3. I've never looked back.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »

roadrunner

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 07:19:56 PM »
I'm not afraid to go with non-Canon brands, if they perform as desired. I don't have experience with the Yongnuo, so I can't comment on them, but I have heard of some minor issues. Then again, I've heard great stories as well.

I was coming from a Canon 430EX II, 580EX II, and Pocket Wizard TT5 setup. Everyone knows that was not a cheap setup, and supposedly was a top of the line setup. I had nothing but issues with it. Reliability issues, the AC3 not making adjustments correctly, flashes behaving erradically. I was unhappy for something that cost so much money.

I recently switched to the 600EX-RT and couldn't be happier. I have 4 of them, and they work exactly as they should, every single time. The only thing I miss is the physical dials of the AC3, and I wish canon would put out a controller with physical dials. I don't see the cost to be that big of a deal, as it was cheaper than my Pocket Wizard/430EX II/580EX II setup was, and performs better to boot.

So here is one vote in major support of the Canon 600EX-RT system. Not to take anything away from the Yongnuos.

EDIT: I guess I didn't address your specific use for them. For large reception halls, yes, I find the 600EX-RT's to be underpowered, but you will have that with any flash. That is more of a job for studio strobe. I have lit receptions with them, but I either gang them together, shoot them bare (For backlighting), or bounce them off of the ceiling. I don't really think they have quite enough just to light a big reception hall with just 1 inside of a light modifier. Still an excellent system.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:47:11 AM by roadrunner »

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »
Ok awesome it good to know that they are working so well fo reveryone else! I am starting to learn the weakeness so i can be more proficient at using them. I am excited for canon direct refurbished to have them on sale!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »