August 20, 2014, 08:58:49 PM

Author Topic: Canon Targets Security Camera Market for Growth  (Read 6758 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Targets Security Camera Market for Growth
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »

DSLR Sales Cool

Until the big megapixel body hits or an EOS 5D Mark IV, DSLR sales will not see the growth that had been previously enjoyed.

Canon hops to move into the “wide open” market of security cameras. They hope to sell $1 billion dollars worth of security cameras annually starting in 2016. I have no rumors about what’s coming in the segment. :)

“A major focus for the next phase is increasing our business-to-business (B2B) sales, and of course security cameras – which is a huge market – is part of that,” Canon President and CEO Fujio Mitarai said in an interview.

Read more at Reuters

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Targets Security Camera Market for Growth
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »

photo212

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Targets Security Camera Market for Growth
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/08/canon-targets-security-camera-market-for-growth/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/08/canon-targets-security-camera-market-for-growth/">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>DSLR Sales Cool

Until the big megapixel body hits or an EOS 5D Mark IV, DSLR sales will not see the growth that had been previously enjoyed.</strong></p>
<p>Canon hops to move into the “wide open” market of security cameras. They hope to sell $1 billion dollars worth of security cameras annually starting in 2016. I have no rumors about what’s coming in the segment. :)</p>
<p>“A major focus for the next phase is increasing our business-to-business (B2B) sales, and of course security cameras – which is a huge market – is part of that,” Canon President and CEO Fujio Mitarai said in an interview.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/08/23/canon-surveillance-idUKL4N0GN0YB20130823" target="_blank">Read more at Reuters</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Perhaps releasing the longer awaited 7D MkII for wildlife and sports photographers would spur renew sales. Metal body with weather resistance. Seems a natural for upgrading and getting people to invest in the cropped sensor upgrade.

Sashi

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »
Well at least they're going to make the bad guys looks fabulous.  8)

Lee Jay

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 09:05:25 PM »
I've spent more than $30k on security cameras at work, and plan to spend at least that much in the next two years.  They're highly valuable, even though I don't use them primarily for security.

One thing I've wanted that isn't available is a very, very long-zoom security camera.  The SX50 lens and sensor module with 2x digital crop would yield 1920x1080 without upresing with a zoom range of 100x (24-2400mm equivalent).  That is something I could really use.  The best I have now is a 20x range from about 35-700mm.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »
Canon has their super low light sensor patent that was claimed to be a huge improvement for security cameras, so maybe we will see that.

Like Nikon, with P&S sales going South, they are looking for a new market to tap.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 10:56:04 PM »
Well at least they're going to make the bad guys looks fabulous.  8)

They will make EVERYONE look "fabulous."

Anyone who succeeds in getting out of bed in the morning is on camera some or all of the day -- at least in the U.S. now.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »
How come this boring notice makes the front page, one that has nothing to do with consumer users and the absolutely critical report about the column ADC patent, also mentioned by Angkorwat  in the same posting doesn't?  :o

The ADC patent might mean that maybe finally Canon puts out some state of art sensors again, ones maybe even better than Exmor since they may also have the best DR at high ISO too.

This was the important part of Ankor's posting:
http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.se/2013/08/canon-files-for-dual-range-column.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 11:25:27 PM »
How come this boring notice makes the front page, one that has nothing to do with consumer users and the absolutely critical report about the column ADC patent, also mentioned by Angkorwat  in the same posting doesn't?  :o

The ADC patent might mean that maybe finally Canon puts out some state of art sensors again, ones maybe even better than Exmor since they may also have the best DR at high ISO too.

http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.se/2013/08/canon-files-for-dual-range-column.html

Perhaps because no one understands it?

Someone asked essentially that on the other thread and instead all that we got were snide comments about Ankor. Seriously, I understand that it is fun for some on this forum to play into his obsessions and goad him into arguments, but it would be nice if someone would also take a little time and explain what this patent means.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 11:39:46 PM »
Until the big megapixel body hits or an EOS 5D Mark IV, DSLR sales will not see the growth that had been previously enjoyed...

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense at all. A "big megapixel body" is a niche market product, as is the EOS 5D IV. Neither one of these will significantly boost DSLR sales.

In fact, the problem is that the compact market has collapsed due to phone competition and economic challenges in Asia and Europe are slowing sales in the DSLR market for all manufacturers. It's quite clear from both Canon's and Nikon's recent financial reports that the DSLR market is hurting not from any lack of product, but because of external economic conditions. It is also clear that they believe sales will pick up as market conditions improve.

Neither a "big megapixel body" nor a 5DIV will change the underlying economic challenges facing all manufacturers.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

dtaylor

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
Does this mean the NSA will start using red ringed lenses?

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 11:46:07 PM »

Perhaps because no one understands it?

Someone asked essentially that on the other thread and instead all that we got were snide comments about Ankor. Seriously, I understand that it is fun for some on this forum to play into his obsessions and goad him into arguments, but it would be nice if someone would also take a little time and explain what this patent means.

Put simply (and he did mention this) it means, if Canon actually implements it, that we should be able to do at least as well as Exmor for low ISO dynamic range while still doing as well at the best cameras at high ISO DR (which are non-Exmor). So it would be like the low ISO DR of a D800 and the high ISO DR of a 1DX/D4 all at once.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 04:42:37 AM »
When I saw Canon's new action camcorder I thought it passed a resemblance to these dashboard cams that are becoming popular...

Just about everybody in Russia uses these and they are catching on fast in the UK and I think the US insurance companies give discounts to young drivers who use them.

All grist to the mill, even if it seems relatively unexciting.

Panasonic have been here for years, with security / remote cameras at least, so why not Canon?

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »
How come this boring notice makes the front page, one that has nothing to do with consumer users...

Well, I read the article at Reuters and came away worried that Canon will shift their best and brightest into security camera R&D. That would have an impact on what we do.
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »
Until the big megapixel body hits or an EOS 5D Mark IV, DSLR sales will not see the growth that had been previously enjoyed...

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense at all. A "big megapixel body" is a niche market product, as is the EOS 5D IV. Neither one of these will significantly boost DSLR sales.

In fact, the problem is that the compact market has collapsed due to phone competition and economic challenges in Asia and Europe are slowing sales in the DSLR market for all manufacturers. It's quite clear from both Canon's and Nikon's recent financial reports that the DSLR market is hurting not from any lack of product, but because of external economic conditions. It is also clear that they believe sales will pick up as market conditions improve.

Neither a "big megapixel body" nor a 5DIV will change the underlying economic challenges facing all manufacturers.

Don't understand this - security cameras will impact 2016.  Does that mean 5D M4 will not be out till 2017?  What will help Canon in 2014 and 2015?

paul13walnut5

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »
I hate hearing about canon moving away from it's core business of folk taking holiday photos.

Since when have technologies devloped for security or military ever helped civilian products.

And if Canon aren't making enough from the consumer camera game to survive then they move into chocolate bars as a side product for all I care, so long as they stay in business.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »