November 28, 2014, 04:12:41 PM

Author Topic: Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth  (Read 26484 times)

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2013, 12:34:57 PM »
I thought this looks interesting as an alternative to photoshop...http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/2013/09/suite/?v=1&utm_campaign=Ste8_Own_0913&utm_medium=email&utm_source=OwnSteLegacy&utm_content=#vid

Looks like On one have been working hard to seize the opportunity that this subscription nonsense has presented them.

A strong alternative to LR is Capture one pro 7 which i find does a great job on Canon file's. Download a free trial here.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/downloads/capture-one-pro-7.aspx

It's nice to have alternative's to Adobe and their tricks..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2013, 12:34:57 PM »

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »
And say you've subscribed for three years, why don't you get to keep the version you are at after every 2 or 3 years even if you quit? (OK, because people would quite and not sign up again for another 2-3 years and repeat is probably why but it sure rots for the consumer.)

That would be a great solution, but of course, they wouldn't do that...unless they get enough guff from customers.

Sashi

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2013, 12:47:36 PM »
Just got off phone with Adobe...I like many I assume, bought into the $30 package but really have not taken advantage off the entire CC Suite.  This new announcement would be a better fit for me, so I called to see if Adobe was going to have a "cross grade" type path...only to be told by the Adobe Rep that this announcement ($9.99) is a RUMOR! lol There are escalating my case and am supposedly getting a call back in a day or so.

I was likewise annoyed as I had purchased LR unnecessarily and subscribed to PS CC to make use of the discount incentive offered till the 31st August, only to have this new deal offered after that date. I'm far better off with the new package deal and when I contacted customer services I was told it was coming 17th September. On the plus side I can apparently refund both my current purchases on that date and then subscribe to the new offer.

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »
A bit off topic, but I'm curious why people buy Lightroom if they have Photoshop.

I tried it a few years ago and hated its file management system. Maybe I'm just used to Bridge, but it seems to fit my needs better.

Even Adobe admits Lightroom doesn't do anything that can't be done in Camera Raw. If you use smart objects, they open in Camera Raw and not Lightroom, so you end up using Camera Raw for any smart object edits anyway.

I'm told it has some advantages for batch processing that makes it easier if you are trying to manage large collections, but for a hobbyist, I just don't get it.

What am I missing?

I'm a hobbyist, and for me, it has a lot to do with cost. I can't justify shelling out six or seven hundred dollars for Photoshop, but $99 for Lightroom? Done. In a heartbeat.

Since Lightroom 5 is my first experience with Lightroom, I don't know what it was like when you tried it a few years ago. I became interested after seeing it used in some YouTube videos (Mike Browne, Gavin Hoey, Serge Ramelli -- then the official Lightroom channel). Then I started searching and watching everything I could find about Lightroom 5. About the time I figured it might be the last non-subscription version and that I wanted to get it, Adorama had their $99 deal. I didn't even hesitate, and I'm very, very pleased so far.

I admit, I'm still getting used to the photo management side of things, but the develop module is excellent (for all the reasons others have shared). Going from Picasa with JPEG to Digital Photo Professional with RAW to Lightroom 5, I really feel like I've advanced my ability take a photo and make it far better than I could before.

I'm also looking forward to using the Book module to print some photo books of family vacations and stuff. Not sure I'll ever use the Slideshow or Map modules (at least for now), but the Web module looks interesting for when I get to the point of posting more photos online.

Anyway, Lightroom just seems to pack in a lot of powerful features for a very reasonable price -- especially if you can't afford Photoshop! When I need to do advanced editing, I've been getting by quite happily with GIMP for long enough that it makes it even harder to justify buying Photoshop. Of course, I'd love to have a proper Liquify tool, as I find iWarp a bit clunky, but it hasn't stopped me from turning out some pretty good (at least in my opinion) full-page magazine advertisements.  ;D

With all the "clouds" rolling in lately, I'm just hoping Lightroom has an umbrella and gumboots!

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »
A bit off topic, but I'm curious why people buy Lightroom if they have Photoshop...

I'm a hobbyist, and for me, it has a lot to do with cost. I can't justify shelling out six or seven hundred dollars for Photoshop, but $99 for Lightroom? Done. In a heartbeat.

Oh yeah. I totally get it if you don't have Photoshop. But, its value is significantly diminished if you have Photoshop, since all the "develop" options are identical to what is contained in Adobe Camera Raw which is embedded in Photoshop.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

grahamsz

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
If it's $10 for life, I might jump on it even I already have LR4 and CS6.

But if it's $10 for e.g. 12 months, and then some ridiculous amount, no way.

So can someone confirm how long they promise the $10?

From their online support

Janella: I do understand your concern, however, price are subject to change at any time. For the first 12 months, the price for the bundle Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 will remain same i.e US$9.99 per month

Looks like after 12 months they can change the "standard" "non-introductory" price to whatever they like. I suspect what they are trying to suggest is that it won't double like the trial price of the whole cloud membership, but who the hell knows. They could just discontinue it after a year.

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »
A bit off topic, but I'm curious why people buy Lightroom if they have Photoshop...

Oh yeah. I totally get it if you don't have Photoshop. But, its value is significantly diminished if you have Photoshop, since all the "develop" options are identical to what is contained in Adobe Camera Raw which is embedded in Photoshop.

Ah...right. I think I misunderstood your question. Yeah -- if you have Photoshop, I can see how Lightroom might not seem that great. I don't have any experience comparing the two, so I'm not much help there. Still, there seem to be enough glowing reviews about Lightroom 5 from Photoshop users that perhaps it's worth downloading the trial to see how it's changed since you last tried it.

Either way, the whole subscription thing just chaps my hide. I can see how it might be nice for a full-time pro that depends on Lightroom and Photoshop every day and who upgrades with every release, but for me? No way! [I hope there are enough customers like me (and others in this forum) that Adobe hears that...]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »
I thought this looks interesting as an alternative to photoshop...http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/2013/09/suite/?v=1&utm_campaign=Ste8_Own_0913&utm_medium=email&utm_source=OwnSteLegacy&utm_content=#vid

Looks like On one have been working hard to seize the opportunity that this subscription nonsense has presented them...

Interesting. I have both the current onOne suite and the Nik suite. Switch back and forth, as each has its strengths and weaknesses. Some of onOne's adjustments tend to be over-the-top and have to be dialed back if you don't want that "Photoshopped" look.

I have to say, their resizing program (used to be Genuine Fractals I believe) is pretty incredible. Nik's black and white conversions are still the best in my opinion.

Anyway, interesting that onOne is now emphasizing the stand-alone option. I believe they also have some way of adding layers in Lightroom, which could also make Photoshop less necessary. I think over the next year we'll see more and more of these options. The plug-in manufacturers don't want to be strapped to the mast if the Adobe ship starts to go down.

Adobe may be in too deep to just walk away from their "We-called-it-cloud-but-it's-not-really-a-cloud" software program. But, I suspect we will see a lot of "special offers" etc. as they try to extricate themselves from this disaster.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2013, 02:54:14 PM »
I may take them up on this new offering once I read the fine print.
+1
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »
A bit off topic, but I'm curious why people buy Lightroom if they have Photoshop.

I tried it a few years ago and hated its file management system. Maybe I'm just used to Bridge, but it seems to fit my needs better.

Even Adobe admits Lightroom doesn't do anything that can't be done in Camera Raw. If you use smart objects, they open in Camera Raw and not Lightroom, so you end up using Camera Raw for any smart object edits anyway.

I'm told it has some advantages for batch processing that makes it easier if you are trying to manage large collections, but for a hobbyist, I just don't get it.

What am I missing?

I don't get it either. LR was sooooooo horribly slow to sort through images, if you need to peak at 100% to check for focus and motion blur it has to render previews for everything even in the cases when you shot RAW+full JPG or with the newer cameras that have full-size test JPGs embedded in RAW! (unless they have changed it since I last tried).

Photomechanic or FastPicViewer or whatnot are so much better for that and ACR in PS does everything LR does and more right?

I get it for those who are maybe still using CS5 or earlier or who don't have full photoshop at all, that is another story.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2013, 03:42:58 PM »

What am I missing?

The main thing for me is that the workflow is so much faster. I can:
1.) import a shoot
2.) scroll through them rejecting obvious bad shots and rating (1-5 stars) ones I like and want to come back to
3.) filter on the ones I've rated 3 stars or better
4.) make an adjustment that many shots will need like WB, sharpening, etc.
5.) quickly copy/paste that adjustment onto all the shots
6.) then go through and work on individual shots to tweak what they need
7.) publish them in a private gallery on any or all of Smugmug/Flickr/Facebook with only a couple of clicks
8.) share with clients, friends, whoever

But the thing is while LR is faster at that than PS/B, it is wayyyy slower than all the other options for sorting/tagging/marking.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »

Janella: I do understand your concern, however, price are subject to change at any time. For the first 12 months, the price for the bundle Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 will remain same i.e US$9.99 per month

Looks like after 12 months they can change the "standard" "non-introductory" price to whatever they like. I suspect what they are trying to suggest is that it won't double like the trial price of the whole cloud membership, but who the hell knows. They could just discontinue it after a year.

Wow, seriously? Because in some of the later semi-clarifications they made it sound like it for for life, so long as you never missed a payment and signed up before 2014.

Yeah so everyone seriously needs to NOT do this. Gotta force them back.

Adobe: You must never again leave the cloud and bring your $35.00 a month to my bank account!
Lando: This deal keeps getting worse all the time!

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »
I don't get it either. LR was sooooooo horribly slow to sort through images, if you need to peak at 100% to check for focus and motion blur it has to render previews for everything even in the cases when you shot RAW+full JPG or with the newer cameras that have full-size test JPGs embedded in RAW! (unless they have changed it since I last tried).

It doesn't matter if you shoot raw + jpg, because the raw has to be processed anyway.
I'd recommend rendering the previews while importing the images into lightroom.

Photomechanic or FastPicViewer or whatnot are so much better for that
Are they capable of displaying the changes you applied to the images with lightroom?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »

grahamsz

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »

Wow, seriously? Because in some of the later semi-clarifications they made it sound like it for for life, so long as you never missed a payment and signed up before 2014.

Yeah so everyone seriously needs to NOT do this. Gotta force them back.

Adobe: You must never again leave the cloud and bring your $35.00 a month to my bank account!
Lando: This deal keeps getting worse all the time!

They promise they'll keep that price for 12 months, but you also have to sign up for a 12 month commitment.

I also don't begrudge them price increases if they are justified. I think I got Photoshop 1 when it was bundled with a black and white scanner, clearly CS6 provides more value than that and I don't mind that the price has risen faster than inflation. However I'd really just like Adobe to say that "Subscription price increases are limited to 10%/year" or something like that. That way I could accurately plan.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »
I'm confused. Can anyone confirm that there still is a boxed, non-cloud photoshop version available? I thought not. Which to me would be the end of using them. I don't do subscription software. Period. Even if they offered it for a buck I wouldn't want it. I want it installed and then not change it until I see fit (which can be years after I buy it).

Still have CS5 and wouldn't even bother if not for my plan to switch from PC to Mac by the end of the year.

Bonus question: is there a way to buy CS5 for Mac still somewhere?

If not it's going to be a combination of LR3 (which I'm perfectly happy with) and Gimp or something.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »