December 22, 2014, 05:28:34 PM

Author Topic: Neutral Density Filters  (Read 7963 times)

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Neutral Density Filters
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »
Not sure if the 16-35 has a rear filter holder, but I use the 14mmL mkii and a piece of 13 stop kodak wratten gel.  It is great because I have no heavy filters or plates to carry around so I am always ready to shoot long exposure and it is a lot cheaper too, and some say the kodak wratten gels are some of the most color neutral filters available.  Sometimes they are kinda hard to track down though due to their diminishing role and the downfall of Kodak.  Here are a couple shots I've done with this system.

300 Seconds at 13,000 Feet by @!ex, on Flickr

Is Where I Drew Some Blood by @!ex, on Flickr

Road to Eldorado by @!ex, on Flickr

Empty at Rush Hour by @!ex, on Flickr
Absolutely beautiful pics.... :) :) :) :) :)
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 01:57:01 PM »
So, I've recently invested in a 16-35 II. I'm looking to use an ND filter for long exposures, but I'm having trouble settling on one.

I've looked into the lee system, which is obviously awesome, but comes at a price -the big stopper is £99, the holders etc will run to about £120. Not a cheap option! The other Idea was a Hoya Vario ND in 82mm and then step down rings- even more expensive with the filter alone running to about £200.

I've just seen a NiSi filter on amazon. 10 stop coated filter in 82mm for £49.98.
I'm just wondering if this is a good buy- if anyone has experience with these filters or even this brand I'd be really grateful.
Thanks,
Elliot

Dear Elliot,

I can't address your question about the NiSi filter, but I did a lot of research on the Lee vs. other filter holders before I bought the Lee holder. I bought the Lee holder because it would easily take filters made by other brands. The other holders, by Hitech and Cokin, each had its strong points, but both had a number of reviewers report various issues with some filters from other brands, including the Big Stopper. I wasn't able to verify all of this, but I did not find these issues being reported for the Lee holder--it seemed to take just about any 4x4 or 4x6 filter. Hence my decision to go with the Lee holder and then get filters from whichever other company I chose. FWIW, I do think it is kind of ridiculous to have to pay almost $90 for a filter holder, which in essence is made of plastic (albeit high quality plastic) and some brass screws. But, I can't make one myself and the other holders weren't that much cheaper and, as I noted before, tended to have an issue that would make using other filters difficult to impossible.

As for availability, the Lee system can be difficult to get and I ordered my holder and Big Stopper from different firms (Amazon and B&H) because of this. (I was fortunate to be on the waiting list for the Big Stopper for only a short period of time.) Since then, another firm that sells all sorts of filters has come to my attention: http://www.2filter.com

2filter seems to generally have Lee filters in stock and at regular (not marked up) prices. I have not used this company yet, but plan to try them in the near future. I found out about this company through the posting of another forum member so perhaps that person or others not the forum could say something about them. The 2filter website says it does have international shipping, although you'd need to check with them on that.

Good shopping and let us know what you decide to do.

Vivid

mustafaakarsu

• Power Shot G7X
  • 5D III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »
As you give pound prices I assume you live in the UK. You should be able to find it easily in here.
I got some of my Lee system on ebay, they were like new condition and was about £30 cheaper than new price.

ScubaX

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »
I've used 2filter.com for several Lee purchases. They are very prompt at shipping stuff out and unlike some other stores, they are not gouging customers because of high demand and low availability for Lee products. One of the best things about them is that they have great customer service and backup their products. You can call them and they will discuss anything you want to know about in filters.

Also, the best way to order from them is on the phone, and that's because their website is a COMPLETE DISASTER! There is probably not enough demand in the filter market for them to higher a pro website builder - but they really need one.
5DMK3, BG-E11, RRS L-Plate, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 70-300 4-5.6L IS, 400 5.6L, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS Macro, 24-105 4.0L IS, 50 1.4, Extenders 2x III & 1.4x III,  Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ MH054M0-Q2 BH converted to A-S, full kit of Lee Filters, F-Stop Satori, Loka and Guru. Modded Black Rapid

sengineer

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 08:34:26 PM »
Here is a reasonable kit from Formatt Hitech http://www.2filter.com/FormattHitech/Formatt-Hitech-ProStop-IRND-Long-Exposure-Kits.html
I have it but have not used it yet.  2filter is a very good company to deal with, but call their web site does not work for ordering.

wopbv4

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 08:46:11 PM »
So, I've recently invested in a 16-35 II. I'm looking to use an ND filter for long exposures, but I'm having trouble settling on one. [...] I've just seen a NiSi filter on amazon. 10 stop coated filter in 82mm for £49.98.

I've recently researched this (and ended up with a Heliopan 10x for  €100), so here it goes:

* for cloud blur in daylight 10x isn't enough, get a 16x, also helps for removing moving objects and improves iq since you don't need to use the smallest f

* cheap filters have worse color casts, just don't.

* you don't need a premium-coated version because a nd is there to stop light (you might get more flare though)

* most important thing: both b+w or heliopan 10x produce color casts due to infrared leakage, if you want to avoid this (it's not that easy to remove in post) get a filter with integrated hot mirror ir blocker - it costs more, but with wider lenses than 35mm you cannot stack an ir blocker with the nd filter.

Indeed the heliopan 10X produces significant color cast
1DX, 7D and lots of gear

lion rock

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »
I vouch for 2filters.com as well.  Got a Lee Big filter for my 24-70/II, and then a mounting frame and a step down ring for 70-200_2.8II.  All well explained to me over the phone patiently.  Can't say I haven't had great experience with them.
-r

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 09:38:51 PM »
I ordered my little stopper from the 2filters website and all went well.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 04:55:45 AM »
So, I've recently invested in a 16-35 II. I'm looking to use an ND filter for long exposures, but I'm having trouble settling on one.

I've looked into the lee system, which is obviously awesome, but comes at a price -the big stopper is £99, the holders etc will run to about £120. Not a cheap option! The other Idea was a Hoya Vario ND in 82mm and then step down rings- even more expensive with the filter alone running to about £200.

I've just seen a NiSi filter on amazon. 10 stop coated filter in 82mm for £49.98.
I'm just wondering if this is a good buy- if anyone has experience with these filters or even this brand I'd be really grateful.
Thanks,
Elliot

I've done a lot of filters in my time and none are truely neutral. Lee's big stopper has a green cast, Hoya's filters have a pink cast and B+W has a copper cast. I choose Heliopan becuase they have a colour cast which looks nicer (a warm brown cast) which helps sunrise / sunset shots by warming them up a bit. But none are truely neutral. Lee resin ND grads have colour casts too, usually a megenta cast which is most noticable on their .9 (3 stop). With most ND's, the higher the density, the higher the colour cast. I tend to prefer a 3 stop and a 6 stop, which I stack a polariser too if I need a greater density. I try to avoid the 9-10 stop filters as then have very strong castes....which is nice for BnW and art toned images though, but not so good for colour!

The vario ND's are a nice idea but they don't work too well on anything less than 24mm.

mro

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »

Thanks,
Elliot

Just buy the Lee filters you won't regret it, "buy once, cry once". Sure they are expensive, but you bought an expensive piece of L-glass so why put a subpar filter infront of it? My big stopper has a blue colour cast to it but that is easily fixed in post by adjusting the white balance. Lee are frank with that they have colour cast on the big stopper https://leefilters.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/40152-big-stopper-blue-cast

I haven't noticed any significant (or any at all) colour cast from my Lee grads (hard or soft) or 3-stop filter, like GMCPhotographics talks about.

Another benefit with going with a square filter system instead of screw-in filters is that you don't need to buy new filters if you want to use them on a different lens that has a different filter diameter. You just buy a new adaptor ring and it is done.

And since you live in the UK finding a retailer for the Lee filters shouldn't be that difficult http://www.teamworkphoto.co.uk, http://www.wexphotographic.com or http://www.robertwhite.co.uk

Schruminator

• Rebel SL1
  • I'm just kidding, seriously.
    • View Profile
    • M Schrum Photography
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »
I have a couple of Hoya HMC 10 stop screw on filters in various sizes. They do have a slight color cast, but it's easily correctable in post processing. Personally I went towards screw on filters due to the small size and overall convenience as I generally don't have any other filters I tote along on my shoots.

Anyways, long story short, I'm happy with the Hoyas and the image quality/clarity seems to be pretty darn good (minus the color cast). They do flare pretty well if direct sunlight is hitting the filter at an odd angle-- but you've got to watch out for that with most filters regardless.
5D III | 14 2.8 L | 24 1.4 II L | 35 1.4 L | 50 1.2 L | 85 1.2 II L | 24-70 2.8 II L | 70-200 2.8 IS II L | 40 2.8 | 1.4x Mk. II T.C. | M Schrum Photography

Peerke

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Photo Amora
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 10:24:15 AM »
I'm a happy user of a 9 stop ND500 filter of Lightcraft (http://www.lcfilter.com/#!prime-nd/c1622). The 82 mm will cost you US $ 85,00. (corrected)

Not very cheap and it will require manual WB (as all ND filters).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:26:31 AM by Peerke »
7D, 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, EF-S 18-135, EF 70-200 f/4 IS, EF 35 f2.0, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 100 f/2.0, Sigma 150, Speedlite 430 II

Jeffrey

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
I purchased some Schneider 4" x 4" ND filters from 2Filter for my medium format camera that I was shooting last weekend. I am amazed at the quality of the filters. Sure, they are darn expensive! I think it is safe to say that you get what you pay for with filters. I agree with Neuro to avoid using variable density filters. I've not had good luck with the ones that I have tried using with my 1D-X.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 12:47:38 PM »
I purchased some Schneider 4" x 4" ND filters from 2Filter for my medium format camera that I was shooting last weekend. I am amazed at the quality of the filters. Sure, they are darn expensive! I think it is safe to say that you get what you pay for with filters. I agree with Neuro to avoid using variable density filters. I've not had good luck with the ones that I have tried using with my 1D-X.
+1 Jeff I found that out the hard way. You and Neuro (the variable density filters) are right. You live and learn...
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

RobertG.

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Robert Gall Photography
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 07:13:59 AM »
Did anyone of you test the new "Firecrest IRND" filters yet? They claim "The new Firecrest filters are the best NDs ever..." on their facebook page. At least they are the most expensive ones they ever made. I would really love to read some hands on experience. Thanks.
5DII | TS-E 17 mm L | TS-E 24 mm II | EF 35mm f1.4 | TS-E 45mm | EF 50mm f1.4 |
Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 | EF 85mm f1.8 | TS-E 90mm f2.8 | EF 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 07:13:59 AM »