October 25, 2014, 04:58:17 PM

Author Topic: Canada Post is literally giving me an Ulcer - Ed Mika  (Read 13832 times)

Bigdaddio

Re: Canada Post is literally giving me an Ulcer - Ed Mika
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 06:23:11 PM »
Hi ED    Mine came on ..   9/21  thanks !!!!

I dug out the 400 .. and I found an added bonus .....Found my Canon 50F1.2 in 39MM Leica thread mount w/ a Leica M adapter on it.   Woo hoo

take care
  and thanks again!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 06:23:11 PM »

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 02:01:01 AM »
You are welcome Bigdaddio, congrats on finding more treasure.

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »
These 14 beauties are going out to my 13 patient buyers in the morning.

BB8D3436 by Ontarian, on Flickr

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 02:39:06 AM »
In case anyone is interested, here are a few handheld snapshots with the EdMika adapted FL 55mm f/1.2 lens.  These are straight out of the camera with no post-production.
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »
Nice results Harley, glad you are having as much fun with the lens as I am. -Ed

shtfmeister

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »
The wait is over!
Mine got here today (Sept 23).
This is a great combo I love playing with this lens depth of field.
also the build feels night and day compared with a plastic lens.
(Also do not let that bearing get away lol)

thanks to EdMika for putting the effort into this adapter

fldrice

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »
Looks like the 55mm adapter is back up for sale and the price has jumped up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 09:19:19 PM »
The machine shop we were using told us they were not interested in our business because of the small volumes and low prices.  We found a new one at a higher piece price for now and have just bought a small but accurate CNC machine (delivery 4-6 weeks).  I also found a new supplier for Dandelion AF-reporting chips with hopefully more reliable shipping.  We raised our price 12% to compensate.  Also we found if we packaged the adapters in a thinner envelope we could get a more reasonably priced shipping option that was actually tracked so shipping went from 11 to 19.

I understand we may lose a few sales from the higher price but for most people I think the really nice shooting solution will still be worth it.  Perhaps when the new CNC vertical mill is paid off we will be able to bring our prices down a bit, to be honest I expect some lower quality knockoff competition at some point in the future though the volumes are still probably too low to justify corporate interests.  My father in law is more serious about this venture but I'm really only doing it for the love of the gear.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:26:17 PM by ontarian »

LanceF

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 12:02:48 PM »
Shipped Sept 26th
Arrived Sept 27th

mmm :)  fast shipping I likes it.

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
A tip for anyone using the converted FL 55mm f/1.2 lens... 

You probably already know the switch for automatic / manual focusing has to be set to "M" for the aperture ring setting to engage.  With narrow apertures the viewfinder can darken significantly.  I have had some success using the A / M switch to open up the lens for composing and focusing, then quickly switching back to the aperture I want for metering and taking the shot.
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 05:57:49 PM »
Hey thanks Harley, thats a really good tip I never thought of.  I figured the manual/auto switch was going to be the vestigial appendix like carryover from the previous camera system but this makes it really useful.

A tip for anyone using the converted FL 55mm f/1.2 lens... 

You probably already know the switch for automatic / manual focusing has to be set to "M" for the aperture ring setting to engage.  With narrow apertures the viewfinder can darken significantly.  I have had some success using the A / M switch to open up the lens for composing and focusing, then quickly switching back to the aperture I want for metering and taking the shot.

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 07:47:01 PM »
I had a similar thought about the "vestigial appendix" when I first started using it.  Then a few days later I had a eureka moment while I had it stopped down.  I bumped the switch while focusing and the viewfinder brightened up and an AF point flashed. 

Essentially this switch allows you to manually do what current EF lenses do automatically by design, right?  Pretty cool.  I love this lens!

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 01:17:29 PM »
I might go ahead and make the jump to some FD / FL glass...maybe not the ultrawides though.

I had the post office eat something a few weeks ago - I got a refund before I even knew what was going on though since they tracked it through the system.  Ironically, I was able to get an exact replacement from a seller shipping with Canada Post.  Arrived with no problems.  I think that actually the only times I've ever had something get eaten by a postal system it was the domestic US one (although that has been very rare).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 01:17:29 PM »

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »
I might go ahead and make the jump to some FD / FL glass...

Well, if you do, the FL 55mm is something special.  The focal length is very usable -- 88mm equivalent on my 7D.  I haven't removed it from the camera since I got it! 

The lens renders light a little differently than anything else I have used.  It's a little warmer, but not distractingly so; it's very subtle.  It doesn't flare too easily but when it does you get this great diffraction that can be really beautiful.  The quality of the bokeh is similar -- it's creamy wide open but it has this viscocity to it -- and depending on the light source and aperture you can get a lot of different character from the out of focus highlights.

Shooting an f/1.2 is a real pleasure.  Although it can be hard to nail the focus occassionally when wide open, I can shoot most anything, even handheld at night, with a quick shutter and low ISO.  The lens is a great size and feels so much nicer and more significant than an EF lens.  The focus ring is the smoothest of all my lenses.

Here's a couple more shots from a wedding this weekend.  These are straight out of the camera -- no flash or special lighting and no post processing.

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
...a couple more to show different apertures and lighting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »