October 23, 2014, 06:09:15 AM

Author Topic: Used 5DII in mint condition...  (Read 864 times)

gigabellone

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • GIGAphoto
Used 5DII in mint condition...
« on: September 28, 2013, 05:30:57 PM »
I've been without a camera for too much time (1 month :P) and now the itch is too strong to be ignored. I was checking a local ad site for a 5DII and spotted this one: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=it&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.subito.it%2Ffotografia%2Fcanon-eos-5d-mark-ii-avellino-74330351.htm

780€ for a 5D2 is really interesting, since most of the 5DIIs sold in my area are usually priced around 1000/1200€. The alternative is to get a brand new 6D for 1500€ from a retail shop. I know the 6D is a better camera, but getting a camera of similar quality for roughly half the price is really tempting. I think i'll go check it, and i'll bring a 50/1.8 lens to test it. What should i pay the most attention to? Checking the shutter count, the buttons, any dust on sensor/VF, and... What else? Many thanks in advance for the inputs. :)

canon rumors FORUM

Used 5DII in mint condition...
« on: September 28, 2013, 05:30:57 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Used 5DII in mint condition...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »
Remember that before a camera comes out it is the greatest thing ever, and a few years later no-one remembers them.  So on that note, if you have a line on a 5D2 for a price you like, I say go for it.  The CF cards, lenses and batteries can all be used for other things later.

Bring a light of some kind so you can have a look at the pins in the card slot and battery compartment.  If you want a shutter count take a laptop and a program called EOSInfo (astrojargon.net), going by the filename is unreliable.  Other than that, if it works properly then take it home and enjoy it.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »
If its a good deal it will be sold in a few minutes.  First see if its a scam.  About 99% of the really good sounding deals are scams.

I evaluate the seller as much as I do the camera.  A seller who can't tell you about the camera or avoids direct answers is hiding something.  Its a fact that some cameras have intermittent issues and you can't find them in a few minutes, all you can do is to see if it had good care, no bad dings, and that the seller takes care of his things.
You cannot check the shutter count without a computer and software, so its not something easy to do when looking at a used camera.  Ask about it, of course.
Good luck, after all I've said, I've never had a issue with a used camera that I bought, and I've bought dozens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »