May 21, 2018, 03:29:09 AM

Author Topic: Are Gitzo's really overrated?!  (Read 34327 times)

dolina

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: Are Gitzo's really overrated?!
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 03:10:23 PM »
Saying bad things about Benro in the Philippines can cause torch and pitchfork crowd to appear.

Even if it's 1,000% true. ;D

Gitzo's worth it if what you are supporting costs more than $3,000 worth of gear or a project you can't fail.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 03:10:23 PM »

wsheldon

• EOS M5
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »
I've never personally had a tripod fail outright, but I've upgraded through the years from Slik, to Bogen/Manfrotto, to Gitzo and now to RRS. Each iteration has brought a little more stability and a lot more usability for the extra money. The 3-series RRS I'm now using as my main tripod is built like a precision instrument and will probably outlast me (or at least my field tromping days). It's a true joy to use and definitely worth it to me.

That said I did pick up a little MeFoto (=Benro) Roadtrip and I have to say that's a pretty decent travel tripod for the money. Time will tell how it holds up, but hopefully I'll never need parts for it based on the anecdotes from earlier in this thread :o
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

Jan van Holten

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • www.natuurfotografiejan.nl
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »
I'am using Gitzo tripods fo many years already and are pretty happy with the quality. But concerning the introduction of very usable new features like anti leg rotation, you'll need a lot of patience. 
What I also don't understand from this company is that a large part of their tripod-heads really sucks, ecspecially with the high prices one have to pay for them. They can do (I hope) a much better job with that. Tried two weeks ago an Ballhead, but gave it back immediatly. It was not smooth operating at all.

dcm

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • It's not the gear.
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »
Overrated really depends on your needs.  I got along quite fine  for years with a hand-me-down Manon 600 and my Canon A1.  I tried a cheap, lightweight aluminum/plastic tripod for a while but went back to the Manon.  I often make a low-midrange purchase the first time, then get highend gear when I really get into something.  I always seem to have willing recipients for my hand-me-downs.

Shortly after I got into digital I found my needs expanding (hiking/travel/...) and picked up a Gitzo 1542T after a lot of research.  I've used it alot for several years with no problems.  I knew that I would eventually need a more stable tripod (astro/wildlife/...) and finally picked up a Gitzo 3532LS when it was clear the 1542T wasn't the best platform for my 6D/Tamron 150-600.  I consider these investments that will likely last my lifetime - maybe a bit of a splurge but definitely not overrated.

I looked seriously at the RRS offerings recently but don't think I would gain anything over my current tripods.  I haven't yet upgraded my old manfrotto monopod, but I'll likely replace it with gitzo or RRS someday.

I do have RRS heads (ball and mono) and plates since I chose to go ARCA.  I have a Jobu gimbal for the Tamron which I'd probably upgrade to RRS if I ever get a great white.  I still have a Gitzo fluid head that I use ocassionally for video, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone serious about video.
Shooting with Canon since 1982 - 1DX2, M5, some lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 09:12:59 PM »
That said I did pick up a little MeFoto (=Benro) Roadtrip

I looked at that...picked one up in a shop, loosened one set of leg locks, and the bottom leg section slid right out and fell to the floor.  I reassembled it, and left the shop quite happy that I'd already purchased the RRS TQC-14 as a travel tripod to supplement my TVC-33.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

wsheldon

• EOS M5
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 10:34:56 PM »
That said I did pick up a little MeFoto (=Benro) Roadtrip

I looked at that...picked one up in a shop, loosened one set of leg locks, and the bottom leg section slid right out and fell to the floor.  I reassembled it, and left the shop quite happy that I'd already purchased the RRS TQC-14 as a travel tripod to supplement my TVC-33.

I recall you mentioning that in an older post, but this one has been pretty solid so far. Time will tell, but my bank account wasn't ready to spend on a TQC-14 this soon after buying a TVC-34L, macro rail with lens mount and leveling base (ouch, ouch, ouch) so it was a calculated risk.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

dcm

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • It's not the gear.
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 01:10:23 AM »
Gitzo Traveller owners: can you confirm the ease of removing/replacing the center column?  I very rarely extend the column on my Manfrotto, and would rather leave the column off if I get a Traveller.

Thanks,
John

It's trivial - I've done both on my 1542T.  The biggest issue is inverting the legs when folding for the shortest length since the platform for the head no longer extends beyond the ends of the folded legs. You can always just travel with the center column removed for the most compact solution.  I'll try to post a picture tonight.

The first photo shows the folded traveler with the legs tucked under the top plate. The center column is extended before folding the legs upwards.  The center column is three pieces that can easily be removed by hand as shown in the first photo - no tools required.

The end pieces of the center column can be assembled without the shaft as shown in the second photo (for low level set), but the result cannot be folded quite as compactly.   Folding the legs down results in a longer arrangement. Folding the legs upwards as you normally would results in interference from the plate so the legs don't close.   You would need to remove the plate to fold it completely.  You can get a shorter replacement shaft for the center column but you will still have the folding issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 01:10:23 AM »

chrysoberyl

• EOS 5DS R
  • 6D
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »
@ dcm: Explicit - thanks very much!  For extensive hikes I can live with the legs folded down to save on weight, although I'll first see what the weight difference is.  Next, I'll have to decide on which Markins Q3 - lever or screw.  But I'm sure there is a separate thread on that.

Again, thanks!
John

RustyTheGeek

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2014, 10:41:18 AM »
I removed my post because after fact checking, I was mistaken.

Man, don't you hate that!  Start a post, do a lot of looking and research to support your important point only to find that you were wrong all along.  Fold up tent... go home!  (Click, browser window closed....)   :-\ 
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

dcm

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • It's not the gear.
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »
@ dcm: Explicit - thanks very much!  For extensive hikes I can live with the legs folded down to save on weight, although I'll first see what the weight difference is.  Next, I'll have to decide on which Markins Q3 - lever or screw.  But I'm sure there is a separate thread on that.

Again, thanks!
John

The weight savings isn't that much, 900g versus 1000g.  I was looking to save weight while hiking as well.   The question becomes how small and light can you go while still meeting your needs. The Gitzo GT-531 tabletop CF tripod was a possible alternative at 410g when I got serious about shaving weight, but it is much shorter at 26" and holds less weight.  I would use it sitting.   It looks discontinued now. There are other tabletop tripods, monopods,  etc. to consider, but I often found I could rest my camera on my pack or a rock so I don't carry a tripod anymore when hiking.

To really save weight I got the EOS M and EF-M lenses.  I don't carry my FF kit on the trail as much, particularly on long hikes.

martti

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2014, 01:58:22 AM »
My old Leitz TillTall (bonk) failed and my brand new 20D broke. That's when I ordered the Gitzo 1228, ten years ago. I took it apart and cleaned it up and put new lithium grease in the threads. Good as new.
Overrated? Certainly not! I like stuff that just works.
The ball head is jerky so I got a Markins instead. I do not think I will ever need to change this setup.
An L-plate maybe. Not sure.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:03:35 PM by martti »
Eyes in my head see the world spinning round.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2014, 01:58:22 AM »