October 22, 2014, 10:33:57 PM

Author Topic: First landscape submitted for critique  (Read 4689 times)

jrda2

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
First landscape submitted for critique
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
I am hoping to get some constructive feedback on this image.  Positive and negative feedback are welcome.  I have been shooting landscapes seriously for the past 1-2 years.  My goal for 2013 was to shoot all of my landscapes in raw and learn Lightroom. 

This picture was taken yesterday on a hike in Montana.  The light was blah until some rays of the sun broke thru a small opening in the clouds for a few seconds and highlighted the rocks on the shore.  Luckily I had my camera on the tripod and was able to swing it around a grab this shot before the light moved on.  I hope the picture captures a little part of the actual beauty compared to seeing it in person.  The picture was shot in raw with a 5DMkIII and 24mm TS-E.  No tilt or shift and editing consisted of minor adjustments in Lightroom and small amount of cropping.

canon rumors FORUM

First landscape submitted for critique
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
  • Fine art photographer based in Miami.
    • View Profile
    • D RYAN PARKER Fine Art Photography
Re: First landscape submitted for critique
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »
I think this image would benefit from a b&w conversion.
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
Your photo is beatiful as is ;)

Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:47:27 PM »
You had better weather than we did her in Spokane, heavy rain, winds, and miserable.

I can't offer any suggestions to improve it, since I've never been successful at landscapes, They never end up matching what I saw.

BozillaNZ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »
Water implies mirror, mirror implies symmetry. I would put the water/land intersection line at the middle of the frame, and brighten up the reflection a little bit.
Look ma, me cameraz can push shadow 10 stoops w/o noizes, OMGWTFBBQChickenwingHaxorz!!!11
www.flickr.com/photos/bozillanz/

andy

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:43:17 PM »
Great location and composition is interesting and balanced.  I agree it would be nice to see a black and white version.  Colour does not seem to be the essential element in the image.

AUGS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 10:56:41 PM »
Great location and composition is interesting and balanced - I like it a lot.

With landscapes, it is not what you photograph, but when.  I'm positive if this was shot with early morning or late afternoon golden light hitting those cliff faces and not with flat dull lighting ("argh" as you described), this would be a really special photo.  But you can only capture what is in front of you at the time, and I think you have done that well.

On days like this, I often put on a polarising filter, and then convert to black and white - it can give the "flat" image a bit of a "pop".
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:01:57 PM by AUGS »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 10:56:41 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:10:44 PM »
I think it is as good as anyone could do with that light; I'd sure be curious to see that scene with some blue sky.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

jrda2

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:17:49 PM »
Thanks for feedback so far.  For fun, I will do a black and white version and post it tomorrow.

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:28:16 PM »
The pic looks good as it is now IMO.

It is hard to say what you could have done differently because you didn't give us much detail about what you did in lightroom.

I know I would have worked as much as possible to pull as much detail in the clouds and cloud reflection in the lakes as possible in light room. If you started with a bland gray sky and what we see now is what you were able to work to then good job. If this is what you started with you might be able to play with the settings to pull more out.

KrisK

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 12:25:45 AM »
You might consider a widescreen crop...crop out the sky just a bit above the tallest tree on the left. (As is my eye is drawn to the bright clouds in the sky.) What remains brings out a weird winding horizontal push-pull. Neat.

And I really like the muted colors, but I'm wondering if a polarizer could have reduced the harsher glare from the rocks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:29:32 AM by KrisK »

elkatro

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
    • dimatasaya.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 01:24:27 AM »

I would just lower the angle to have more reflection on the water and less sky, as the sky is not much interesting.

www.dimatasaya.com

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 03:48:33 AM »
It's got a really unique moody feel to it, quite a change from the usual landscape style you see. I like it, would have been great if the rays of light would have been stronger but thats out of your control.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 03:48:33 AM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 03:56:38 AM »
You have lots of detail in the image, showing some nice textures in the rocks and trees, but it looks like you may have had some water on the lens, as there is a faint flare above the crag just to the right of centre. For me though, it lacks a focal point of interest, mainly because of the light. The composition would probably work on a still dawn, where the reflections are much more prominent. Even better, if light shone through the clouds to pick out a feature, the ridge line would be ideal, as that would then also be prominent in the water. The location has potential in the right lighting, but as it stands, it is missing that little something that pulls it out of being a nice scene to outstanding.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

jrda2

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »
You have lots of detail in the image, showing some nice textures in the rocks and trees, but it looks like you may have had some water on the lens, as there is a faint flare above the crag just to the right of centre. For me though, it lacks a focal point of interest, mainly because of the light.

Thanks for the feedback.  I did notice the flare and fixed it with the healing brush in Lightroom.  Here is the B&W for a comparison.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »