April 20, 2018, 12:46:35 PM

Author Topic: 85mm prime recommendation  (Read 33979 times)

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
Re: 85mm prime recommendation
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 07:18:12 AM »
If you're not afraid of MF and wants something different (you've got the 135 already), then why not try this lens:

Helios 40 85mm f/1.5

You might like it.   :)  It's the swirling bokeh that sets it apart.

http://famecherry.com/shop-with-us-2/essential-studio-equipment/lens/helios-85mm-f1-5/

Very interesting lens and unusual bokeh!  I think I'll stick with the more traditional "creamy" bokeh however.
5DsR, EF Lenses: 35mm f/2IS, Tamron 85mm f/1.8 VC, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LII
M5, EF-M lenses: 22mm f/2, 18-150mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 07:18:12 AM »

MonteGraham

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • MonteGrahamPhotography
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 08:11:59 AM »
If you're not afraid of MF and wants something different (you've got the 135 already), then why not try this lens:

Helios 40 85mm f/1.5

You might like it.   :)  It's the swirling bokeh that sets it apart.

http://famecherry.com/shop-with-us-2/essential-studio-equipment/lens/helios-85mm-f1-5/

Very interesting lens and unusual bokeh!  I think I'll stick with the more traditional "creamy" bokeh however.

+1

wsheldon

• EOS M5
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »
The 85mm 1.8 is really good value when you come to think about it. The image quality was very good but that CA just spoiled it for me. As someone who likes backlit subjects it wasn't ideal so I sold it. Haven't missed it. I should also add that you prob wont wanna use it at f/1.8 and likely would stop down a bit in which case - whats the point when you have the 70-200II thats uber sharp wide open??

CA is actually extremely low with this lens. I assume you're talking about Longitudinal Chromatic Aberrations (LoCA) which gives you purple/green fringing on chrome edges and white edges. The 1.2 isn't a whole lot better in tests wide open, but should have less when stopped down to 1.8. I agree that's annoying, but with Lightroom 3+ one quick click makes it go away with no apparent effect on IQ so it doesn't bother me at all.

One of Canon's best values in $$ per IQ in my experience.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

Zv

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 08:49:42 AM »
The 85mm 1.8 is really good value when you come to think about it. The image quality was very good but that CA just spoiled it for me. As someone who likes backlit subjects it wasn't ideal so I sold it. Haven't missed it. I should also add that you prob wont wanna use it at f/1.8 and likely would stop down a bit in which case - whats the point when you have the 70-200II thats uber sharp wide open??

CA is actually extremely low with this lens. I assume you're talking about Longitudinal Chromatic Aberrations (LoCA) which gives you purple/green fringing on chrome edges and white edges. The 1.2 isn't a whole lot better in tests wide open, but should have less when stopped down to 1.8. I agree that's annoying, but with Lightroom 3+ one quick click makes it go away with no apparent effect on IQ so it doesn't bother me at all.

Yes. LoCA, the purple and green fringing. One quick click multiplied by 500 or more wedding images can get really time consuming and annoying. It just meant extra work. I was using LR 3 at the time so maybe it would be easier now??
Move along nothing to see here!

wsheldon

• EOS M5
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 08:53:55 AM »

Yes. LoCA, the purple and green fringing. One quick click multiplied by 500 or more wedding images can get really time consuming and annoying. It just meant extra work. I was using LR 3 at the time so maybe it would be easier now??

I can certainly understand that, but if you have a lot of shots at the same aperture you should be able to set the sliders on one image and copy the correction to all images in one step, or even define a develop preset for importing. I do believe the fringing adjustments got better from 3-4 (and the same in 5), but I don't recall exactly.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 09:00:55 AM »
I would recommend the 85L II.  I have it (along with the 135L and 70-200 II), and it is truly an amazing lens, particularly for portraits.  I share your apprehension about the autofocus of Sigma's 85/1.4 (and their lenses in general).  I had the 85/1.8 sometime back.  It's a nice lens, and an excellent value, but I agree with the posts above that it doesn't add much to your existing 70-200.  The 85/1.8 also suffers from particularly noticeable axial CA (the 85L has some as well, but not so bad).
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »
I have been looking at different 85mm primes to use for portrait photography and some event work.  I have a 6D and my full kit is listed below. 

I'm considering the Canon 85 1.2 II, Canon 85mm 1.8 and Sigma 85mm 1.4 EX DG HSM.  I ruled out the Zeiss and Samyang 85's due to lack of AF.  Obviously, there is a huge price difference here.  I can afford the Canon 1.8 or Sigma now, but would have to save up a while for the Canon 1.2 II.

The Sigma looks to be optically as good as the Canon 85 1.2 II, at less than half the price.  But, the AF accuracy issues reported by TDP are concerning.  With a shallow DOF lens like this, poor AF accuracy means a poor keeper rate.  I have the 70-200 2.8 II and 135L, so already have some top tier portrait lenses, but I really love shallow DOF photography and 85mm is often a better focal length than 135mm indoors when space is limited.

Any suggestions and hands on experience from CR members?

Yes, Dear bholliman.
I have both , 85 L MK II and 85 mm. 1.8 = Both of great Lenses at difference unique functions , Yes, I have 24-70 L , 135 F/ 2.0 L and 70-200 2.8 L MK I too, all of theses lenses for my Portrait/ Wedding Photographer/ Press Photography Job---But From time to time , I use Sigma 1.4 too, to get wide angle group photo in the dark area, such as in the Music/ Band action pictures.----Yes, I fell in love with Canon EF 85 mm. F/ 1.2 L MK II for open wide and super shallow of DOF. plus great Bokeh.
Nice to talk to you.
Surapon
PS. If I take the Big Group of People( 50 people or more) in the Good Light/ Out door Cloudy day or in the Shade, I Use Canon TS-E 24 mm. F/ 3.5 MK II,  in shift position= take 3 photos, Left shift, normal at center, and Right Shift---And Use Photoshop program to combine the photos, Yes, I will get 3 times of MP in one Photo, and can print  up to 42 X 60 Inches from my Large format  HP.printer.---Yes, Canon 5D MK II set at F = 5.6
Please see the sample below.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:13:01 AM by surapon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
Save up for the 85 f/1.2 II.  You won't regret it.  I hardly ever shoot portraits and gasped when I hit "Submit Order", but I LOVE the lens.  My wife (who isn't into photography at all) loves the lens and literally won't let me shoot her with any other lens.
CPS Score: 111 points, those 0 and 1 point items really add up

surapon

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
Save up for the 85 f/1.2 II.  You won't regret it.  I hardly ever shoot portraits and gasped when I hit "Submit Order", but I LOVE the lens.  My wife (who isn't into photography at all) loves the lens and literally won't let me shoot her with any other lens.

Dear friend,  Mr. Mackguyver.
You are the most lucky guy in this world :
1) Your wife understand , what do you need. ( No, Not My wife---I must buy  my toy , before I tell her---Ha, Ha, Ha )
2) She love your Lens and  she let  you take the photos of Her. ( No, Not my wife, She never post for me, and she complain all the times that her picture not look good as Hollywood stars---Ha, Ha, Ha.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

kirillica

• EOS Rebel 300D
    • LinnikVisuals
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
Forget about Sigma, their 85 is a simply crap.
85 1.8 and 1.2 are very-very different lenses. bokeh from 1.2 is creamy, milky and simply nice. it is quite sharp starting from 1.2, but only in case you are not missed. AF of 1.2 is sometimes slow and (comparing other lenses I have) not getting the point during first round. CA of 1.2 are huge like dinosaur (and not only wide open; sometimes CA correction in Lightroom is not enough and you should use your skills of PS too).

So 1.8 is simply for shooting on 85mm, 1.2 - is something you will most probably love after getting used to it; using outdoors it creates very 3D-like photos, photos from 1.8 are flat comparing to that :) But, well, once again, there are people saying 1.2 is stupid and useless due to focus and CA issues.

Helios 40 (or 40-2)... It is nice, but no AF makes it good only for stills: setting it sharp where needed at 1.5 in dynamic scenes is a huge challenge.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:47:15 AM by kirillica »

PavelR

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »
I replaced 85/1.8 with S 85/1.4 - better iq and AF accuracy on 1D4.
But now I have 85/1.2 too because Sigma does not work well mounted on 1ds3 with new firmware - the camera stopped responding several times...
Purple fringing around the contrasty & light parts [black foreground against white background is not problem] is pretty bad on both Canon 85 (wide open and near wide open). L is also pretty slow AF, but acceptable on 1 series body...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:59:09 AM by PavelR »

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 10:58:52 AM »
1) Your wife understand , what do you need. ( No, Not My wife---I must buy  my toy , before I tell her---Ha, Ha, Ha )
2) She love your Lens and  she let  you take the photos of Her. ( No, Not my wife, She never post for me, and she complain all the times that her picture not look good as Hollywood stars---Ha, Ha, Ha.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon
Dear Mr. Surapon,

You are funny and I usually tell my wife that my toys cost about half of what I actually paid for them.  She usually is annoyed by them but always wants to make sure I bring along my "special portrait lens" when we go places where she wants her photo taken.  She complains about most of her photos, too, but not nearly as much if I use the 85 f/1.2 II :)
CPS Score: 111 points, those 0 and 1 point items really add up

Eldar

• Flickr
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »
Just to add to the choir ...

With the lenses you have, there is no point looking at any other lens than the 1.2LII, unless you would consider a manual focus Zeiss. I love this lens, but it is also my biggest frustration. If you buy it, practice, practice and practice. If you just use it every now and then, you will have loads of sharp noses, or ears and eyes OOF etc. But if you use it regularly, and learn how it works, you will be handsomely rewarded.

I hope Canon will make a version III, primarily with improved AF speed, but also without the focus-by-wire - electronic manual focusing, which requires the camera to be powered on for manual focus to work. That feels a bit dinosaurian and irritates me every time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »

surapon

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon
Dear Mr. Surapon,

You are funny and I usually tell my wife that my toys cost about half of what I actually paid for them.  She usually is annoyed by them but always wants to make sure I bring along my "special portrait lens" when we go places where she wants her photo taken.  She complains about most of her photos, too, but not nearly as much if I use the 85 f/1.2 II :)

Ha, Ha, Ha---Dear Mr. Mackguyver.
Sorry, I never do like that " I usually tell my wife that my toys cost about half of what I actually paid for them. "---------BUT, I JACK UP THE PRICE before I tell my wife, what I buy----" Honey, I just get the great deal to day, My Photographer friend just pass a way, and his wife call me , she want to sell almost brand new Canon EF 85 mm F/ 1.2 L Mk II that her husband pay for $ 4000 US Dollars, She want me to have just $ 2,200 US Dollars---What do you think ?"------Yes, because  my wife do not know the real price of 85 MK II, She think that might  be equal price to my  old 200 L----Yes, She tell me That , I super smart and super lucky guy.

Ha, Ha, Ha.
\Nice to talk to you, Sir., Have a Great ay.
Surapon
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:14:57 AM by surapon »

jdramirez

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »
Just to add to the choir ...

With the lenses you have, there is no point looking at any other lens than the 1.2LII, unless you would consider a manual focus Zeiss. I love this lens, but it is also my biggest frustration. If you buy it, practice, practice and practice. If you just use it every now and then, you will have loads of sharp noses, or ears and eyes OOF etc. But if you use it regularly, and learn how it works, you will be handsomely rewarded.

I hope Canon will make a version III, primarily with improved AF speed, but also without the focus-by-wire - electronic manual focusing, which requires the camera to be powered on for manual focus to work. That feels a bit dinosaurian and irritates me every time.

I'll usually put to focus point on the eye and then re  compose...  would you suggest an alternative technique?
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »