August 01, 2014, 07:32:57 PM

Author Topic: Nikon's FB Page "A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses..."  (Read 9160 times)

Canon 14-24

Apologize if wrong sub-forum thread to upload this, but this was made an hour ago by Nikon on their facebook page:

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
The converse is
equipment can only capture images as good as the photographer, and I can assure you that I am much more of a limiting factor than my equipment.

The only time I feel truly limited by my equipment is photos in low light situations where additional lighting is not allowed, and even in low light, my equipment is much more capable than only a few years ago.  There are lots of camera and lens features that would make life easier, but are not truly limiting.

dash2k8

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
I agree with the poster above me. You can hand a 1DsM3 to a noob and that will not turn him into Ansel Adams. But you could put a point-n-shoot in Adams' hands and get a very respectable (albeit not masterpiece) picture.

I once ran into someone who bought a 7D + 85mm f/1.2 L + 580EX II as his FIRST ever kit. He had absolutely no idea what he was doing and took a lot of stuff that more experienced photog's could take with an iPhone.

I would only go as far as saying the equipment should match the skill level of the user. Both are equally important.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
I have absolutely no doubt that with my P&S, i could take a better photo than my gf (with no photographic skill) could using my 7D and any combo of my lenses.

but then i'm sure some here could use an iphone to get a better shot than i could with full access to any canikonelblad equipment.

good equipment helps, but the real skill is in using the equipment you have...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Dave

A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses...

rubbish... I bet you... A 600D with the kit lense in the hand of a good photographer will result in much(!!!) better photos than a 1D with an L lense in the hand of someone who never touched a SLR

dmills

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I totally agree with all of the above, and that you can take great photos with cheap equipment. Just to play devil's advocate though...

What if you took a photographer that takes pretty good photos with a 600D + Kit lens and handed them a 1ds with an 85 1.2? I've gotta say that the quality of my images went up dramatically when I bought my first DSLR ;)

Of course, the rub of the whole statement is "only as good as", when there are many tricks you can do with lighting/post production to squeeze better images out of devices that weren't designed with those uses in mind. I've seen many examples of studio photographers using their iphone to take great pictures. On the other hand, they used thousands of dollars worth of studio lighting + makeup artists, so to me, it kind of undermines their point.

All things being equal, the same photographer will take better pictures with better equipment 9 times out of 10. We all know this or we wouldn't even bother buying more equipment (except of course to show off our new equipment) ;)

Anyway, in a general sense, I agree with all of you, but I think there is still a grain of truth in Nikon's statement.
Photos | 5D3 | 60D | GoPro Hero3 | 8-15 | 10-22 | 24 1.4 II | 24-105 | 85 1.2 II | 70-200 2.8 IS II | x2 III | 600EX-RT x2 + ST-E3 | lighting accessories, umbrellas, etc

recon photography

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
every1 read this incorrectly, doesn't look like much thought was put into the comment but they are just saying you cant paint a house correctly if you have a brush and some black paint and your client wants yellow

canon rumors FORUM

pinnaclephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • PinnaclePhotography
Well, Nikon is trying to sell it's equipment, so it is hardly an unbiased source of information.  I agree with those who posted before; the photographer is (almost always) more important than the gear he is using.  On the other hand, I have certainly encountered situations where my gear was insufficient for the task at hand.

For kicks, here are a few old point and shoot shots I took, 4 years ago:

Mount Cannon and Bird Woman Falls [explore 08/29/11] by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

reflections by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

into the storm by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

wild wool factories by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
rubbish... I bet you... A 600D with the kit lense in the hand of a good photographer will result in much(!!!) better photos than a 1D with an L lense in the hand of someone who never touched a SLR

You're statement is true but I don't think that's what the Nikon FB post is saying.  While you're suggesting two different photographers each with different equipment the statement from Nikon is comparing one photographer using different equipment... the implication being higher versus lower quality equipment in the hands of the same person  Question then is if any given photographer would take better pictures with better equipment.  I don't think that's necessarily true... depends whether the photographer or the equipment is the limiting factor (i.e. the weakest link).  If the person has never used anything other than a camera phone they might not even be able to turn a DSLR on and attach the lens so they won't get a picture at all.  In the hands of a pro, it might be fair to say that a he/she will almost always get a better picture with a better camera and lens (better meaning better suited to the type of picture being taken of course).

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile

You're statement is true but I don't think that's what the Nikon FB post is saying.  While you're suggesting two different photographers each with different equipment the statement from Nikon is comparing one photographer using different equipment... the implication being higher versus lower quality equipment in the hands of the same person  Question then is if any given photographer would take better pictures with better equipment.  I don't think that's necessarily true... depends whether the photographer or the equipment is the limiting factor (i.e. the weakest link).  If the person has never used anything other than a camera phone they might not even be able to turn a DSLR on and attach the lens so they won't get a picture at all.  In the hands of a pro, it might be fair to say that a he/she will almost always get a better picture with a better camera and lens (better meaning better suited to the type of picture being taken of course).

You reminded me about a comment which is often made in cycling: it's "90% rider and 10% bike".  Putting me on a fancy Colnago will not make me win the TdF.  However, in a pro race, that 10% counts, and it counts for a lot, because races are determined on seconds or less.

Yervant (or name your favourite pro photog) would be able to do produce some very good photos with a 600D and a kit lens, I am sure, but to compete in the market at the level which he does, he needs the very best equipment.
There is no substitute for skill, as others have pointed out, but at the highest levels of performance, equipment can make that small (even minute) difference that separates one photographer, or cyclist, or racing driver, etc. from another.
Put the other way around - putting me on an expensive Colnago is, right now, about as useful as putting lipstick on a pig.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

UncleFester

Re: Nikon's FB Page "A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses..."
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »

You reminded me about a comment which is often made in cycling: it's "90% rider and 10% bike".  Putting me on a fancy Colnago will not make me win the TdF.  However, in a pro race, that 10% counts, and it counts for a lot, because races are determined on seconds or less.

Yervant (or name your favourite pro photog) would be able to do produce some very good photos with a 600D and a kit lens, I am sure, but to compete in the market at the level which he does, he needs the very best equipment.
There is no substitute for skill, as others have pointed out, but at the highest levels of performance, equipment can make that small (even minute) difference that separates one photographer, or cyclist, or racing driver, etc. from another.
Put the other way around - putting me on an expensive Colnago is, right now, about as useful as putting lipstick on a pig.

Don't forget the EPO, for heaven's sake!

dgsphto

Re: Nikon's FB Page "A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses..."
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 01:47:56 AM »
The way I interpreted it, it seems Nikon wanted to say that No matter how good a photographer is, the equipment is one of his/her limiting factors. Isn't that why we all make choices with what gear we pick? I don't see anything wrong with that statement!

Blaze

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 01:54:20 AM »
The way I interpreted it, it seems Nikon wanted to say that No matter how good a photographer is, the equipment is one of his/her limiting factors. Isn't that why we all make choices with what gear we pick? I don't see anything wrong with that statement!

Yeah, equipment can indeed be limiting. I don't care how good of a photographer you are, you won't be able to get acceptable images in the situations I frequently shoot in (e.g. fast sports in poorly lit gyms with no flash allowed). My 7D with f/2.8 glass wide open is barely good enough sometimes. I can't wait to get a 5DIII and some fast primes!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 01:54:20 AM »

NotABunny

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 03:04:09 AM »
Obviously, the people who get annoyed by that comment are those who have not exploited their gear at the maximum. Which means that they have wasted money on their current equipment.

Remind me, why are you waiting for 5D3 / 1Ds 4? Is it because you think it will include magic that's going to make more artistic photos, or is it because you're thinking that it will include hardware that's going to allow you to go farther with your skills (which, contradictorily, you think are below the capacity of the current cameras)?

I wonder how many of these people would say that a rock climber's skills are more important than the rope, when the rope breaks.

kirillica

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 03:52:19 AM »
What I'm mainly like in Nikon is that their adv pics were bought in photostocks and actually shot with Canon  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 03:52:19 AM »