November 21, 2014, 12:43:04 PM

Author Topic: November 3 Announcement Info [CR1]  (Read 5311 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
November 3 Announcement Info [CR1]
« on: October 03, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »

Another rumor

Received a brief bit of information in regards to the November 3, 2011 announcement in Hollywood.  It’s another person pointing to a video camera related release.

• Compact Super 35mm sensor video camera

• Records onto CompactFlash

• 3 accompanying lenses

Planet5D Today

Just a reminder that I’ll be live at Planet5D for a conversation with @PlanetMitch.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

November 3 Announcement Info [CR1]
« on: October 03, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: November 3 Announcement Info [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:37:52 PM »
May be a bad sign for those wanting a quick 5D3 release or for those hoping that Canon video division won't try to cripple on DSLR video, IMO. Depends a bit on the pricing though as per the first item (quick 5D3 release) and whether they feel it takes the pressure fully off of that or not.

With how long Canon have delayed the 1Ds4 and considering that they appear to be ready to delay the three year 5 series cycle I think they better realize they need to knock it out of the park and not make it seem like they are holding anything back otherwise forums and perhaps even sales this time are going to explode on them. 5 series needs some degree of speed and full on 1 series AF. It's about you could buy a camera with top AF from Canon without being forced into a brick.

chito

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 01:38:39 PM »
Will they be EF lenses at least? 

sandro

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »
May be a bad sign for those wanting a quick 5D3 release or for those hoping that Canon video division won't try to cripple on DSLR video, IMO. Depends a bit on the pricing though as per the first item (quick 5D3 release) and whether they feel it takes the pressure fully off of that or not.

Just like Sony did :( GH2 still remains the only real HD camera

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 02:24:25 PM »

The Canon EOS cameras are produced by the camera division, not the video division and divisions within big companies like Canon compete with each other to bring in the best results. Think of each division have its own "CEO" that wants to deliver the best results so that he can be seen to be eligible for being the CEO of Canon.

What you should be thinking about is how much each feature costs to put in a camera.

Some features, for example uncompressed 1080p/i video on the HDMI output, might simple be too expensive or require sacrifices in other areas of camera design that are more important for the 5D.

With how long Canon have delayed the 1Ds4 and considering that they appear to be ready to delay the three year 5 series cycle I think they better realize they need to knock it out of the park and not make it seem like they are holding anything back otherwise forums and perhaps even sales this time are going to explode on them. 5 series needs some degree of speed and full on 1 series AF. It's about you could buy a camera with top AF from Canon without being forced into a brick.

Maybe ... just maybe ... the 7 to 8 year period from 2002/2003 through to 2010 was an anomaly in terms of digital camera design for Canon/Nikon. Maybe it was a period during which they managed to solve all of the easy problems and going further from where they are now requires solving harder problems that take longer.

The product life cycle for SLRs prior to DSLRs was quite different. For example, the EOS 50 lasted 5 years - 1995 to 2000, when it was replaced by the EOS 30, which was in turn replaced by the EOS 33V in 2004.

The higher end the product, the less frequently it has was replaced:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_eos#EOS_cameras

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 04:14:35 PM »
Like Chito (posted above) I would like to know if these new lenses will be EF and even "L" labelled so we can use them on our EOS bodies.  This way at least we dont get a new body but a few lens to play with in the mean time.

I for one I am in the market for L lens but am afraid to buy now as I suspect a few new ones are coming...wishful thinking I guess...

Any thoughts Canon Rumor guy?
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

philHolland

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 04:53:34 PM »
It would be a humongous failure on Canon's part not to allow the use of EF lenses via native or additional mount.
I can't fathom they would ignore the profit from the additional lens sales, but I wouldn't put it past them to go with some insane new mount and manufacture new lenses for people to buy fpr that new mount/system.

I mentioned before that there would likely be new "video centric" lenses with the release of this camera.
Think locked focus zooms, minimal breathing, lens gears, IS, and speedy fast autofocus.  They will likely be "flatter" than still lenses in terms of barrel distortion as well.  If the camera ends up being S35 and not larger, we could see a new generation of f/2 zooms too.  These lenses will not be on the cheap side either.  I'm expecting $2k-$3 per zoom if they are landing at f/2.  Slower glass could be cheaper though.  I would hope for no f/4 fixed zooms with this release, but there has been a large market for those in the still world.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 04:53:34 PM »

ThomasKoch

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »
If it is indeed Compact Flash, we are not looking at a 4K camera.  Also, most likely a highly compressed 1080P codec.

Bob Howland

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »
If it is indeed Compact Flash, we are not looking at a 4K camera.  Also, most likely a highly compressed 1080P codec.

You're probably right. It'll probably use the same image processing architecture as the XF100/105. The XF300/305 are also related except that they use three sensors, one for each primary color. I can't imagine Canon stuffing three APS-C sensors into a "compact" camcorder.

Regarding using EF/EF-S lenses, you folks might want to read this: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/photo-lenses-for-video-there-is-no-free-lunch
In particular, note the prices. My guess is that this camcorder will use a video-oriented derivative of the EF or EF-S lens mount, depending on the exact size of the sensor, with additional signal/power pins.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:00:42 PM »

The Canon EOS cameras are produced by the camera division, not the video division and divisions within big companies like Canon compete with each other to bring in the best results. Think of each division have its own "CEO" that wants to deliver the best results so that he can be seen to be eligible for being the CEO of Canon.

hopefully, but who knows for sure

What you should be thinking about is how much each feature costs to put in a camera.

Some features, for example uncompressed 1080p/i video on the HDMI output, might simple be too expensive or require sacrifices in other areas of camera design that are more important for the 5D.

well there are more critical things such as getting rid of moire and aliasing
and simple things what magic lantern has been adding shouldn't add a whole lot of anything much

Maybe ... just maybe ... the 7 to 8 year period from 2002/2003 through to 2010 was an anomaly in terms of digital camera design for Canon/Nikon. Maybe it was a period during which they managed to solve all of the easy problems and going further from where they are now requires solving harder problems that take longer.

Using two digics instead of 1 in the 5 series would not have been tough, they have had faster mirror boxes for FF going back decades, they already have created 1 series AF, etc. Lots of easy stuff to still do. They certainly had the tech to make a fast, small form FF camera with top AF. Or to allow manual audio gain for 7D, etc.

It is possible that making digic v fast enough to avoid video aliasing takes a while though, that is a big step up.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »
I'm sure the aliasing and moire issue is very easy to fix, as Panasonic and Sony have pretty much fixed it. Canon probably could have easily fixed it in the digic 4 DSLRs, but were too busy milking their customers to solve such a basic, fundamental problem.

I think it would be cool if it were a mirrorless (like the Sonys and Panasonics), and used an electronic adaptor for EOS lenses since they have a longer flange length. This would make the most sense, since putting a mirror in a video camera is dumb as heck. That way (like the Sonys and Pannys) any lens could be adopted, including PL mount.

And obviously, the ability to adopt EOS lenses is a HUGE sell since all the competitors like RED, Sony and Panny are having EOS electronic adapters made for it, it's obviously there a huge market to use EOS lenses on video cameras. Obviously it's not as ideal as a cine type lenses, but it's a very affordable solution that can get great results.

I hope they keep it small, smaller than the Sony FS 100 and the Panny AG1001

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »

hopefully, but who knows for sure

well there are more critical things such as getting rid of moire and aliasing
and simple things what magic lantern has been adding shouldn't add a whole lot of anything much

Might I suggest that before you decide you know what Canon should engineer into their cameras and how, that you go back to school and learn how to communicate in English (regardless of whether it is your first or second language) because the above is nothing but a failure.

Using two digics instead of 1 in the 5 series would not have been tough, they have had faster mirror boxes for FF going back decades, they already have created 1 series AF, etc. Lots of easy stuff to still do. They certainly had the tech to make a fast, small form FF camera with top AF. Or to allow manual audio gain for 7D, etc.

It is possible that making digic v fast enough to avoid video aliasing takes a while though, that is a big step up.

Obviously you should be working for Canon, in Japan, since you know so much about designing and building cameras.

It seems like you expect that just because feature X appears in camera A then it should also appear in camera B. That's a very naive way to think about products such as these.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »