August 02, 2014, 06:07:39 AM

Author Topic: DxO Optics Pro 9 released  (Read 13058 times)

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
Re: DxO Optics Pro 9 released
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2013, 02:37:41 PM »
haha, it does look like a pretty good one. I'll have to have a in depth look at it since I payed for the software...may as well get the most out of it.
I do HATE that they only let u register on one pc...so If I build a new pc....I gotta get a new activation code from them....dumb.

1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D
Please check out my site.
http://muddycreekstudios.4ormat.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2013, 02:37:41 PM »

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
I cant edit posts but btw...what preset do you like the most? I read mention that the portrait preset is good but which one do you guys prefer out of the box portrait wise.
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
I cant edit posts but btw...what preset do you like the most? I read mention that the portrait preset is good but which one do you guys prefer out of the box portrait wise.
I have my own preset - it's the Standard one with a few tweaks, with lens softness set at 1.25, contrast at 30, microcontrast at +10, vibrancy at 10, and protect saturated colors turned off.  Protect saturated colors is an awesome tool, but I like to adjust it manually.

I usually open an image, set white balance (if needed) and then set the black & white points using the curves too while I watch the highlight/shadow warnings.   I do this by dragging the white point straight to the left at the top of the screen and black point straight to the right until there's a touch of clipping.  I'll usually tweak the shadows and highlights sliders as well and sometimes I'll use the curves to tweak the photo as well.  I often adjust the contrast & vibrancy sliders for each photo as well.  I'll correct dust as needed (my 5DII is a nightmare most days), correct horizon and crop as needed, and move to the next photo.

If I expose to the right, which I usually do, and it's a bright image, I'll use the highlight priority - medium or strong settings right after white balance.  I'll bump up the shadows slider and that usually gives me great results.

That covers about 90% of my photos, but I'll correct perspective, turn off vignette correction, or use portrait presets and such as needed.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »
See thats the funny thing, I need to look at the manual as I cant even figure out in there how to do the white balance change you say is the first thing you do.
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
See thats the funny thing, I need to look at the manual as I cant even figure out in there how to do the white balance change you say is the first thing you do.
It's the first slider (p. 28 of the manual) :-)
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

AlanF

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
What is this software manual that you speak of.... :o :D ;D

Here's the link to download it and trust me, it's written better than most manuals:
http://support.dxo.com/entries/27749247-Dxo-Optics-Pro-9-User-Guide

Thanks Mac. Downloaded the software and the manual. It is useful!
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2013, 05:36:04 PM »
Does the DxO Elite package, come also with plug-ins for PRIME and other functionality withing LR like NIK does, or do you have to use only the stand alone version in your work flow?

I thought I'd read once ont he DXO site that it was a combo of plugin or stand alone, but with subsequent trips to the site I can't find this out again for sure....they don't give a lot of info on that site.

:(

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2013, 05:36:04 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
Does the DxO Elite package, come also with plug-ins for PRIME and other functionality withing LR like NIK does, or do you have to use only the stand alone version in your work flow?

I thought I'd read once ont he DXO site that it was a combo of plugin or stand alone, but with subsequent trips to the site I can't find this out again for sure....they don't give a lot of info on that site.

Optics Pro is a RAW converter, not a plugin.  You're likely thinking of FilmPack or Viewpoint, which are available as standalone apps and plugins. 

Standard and Elite are both full featured and have exactly the same features, the only difference is you need the Elite version for FF cameras.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2013, 11:25:27 PM »
ok, so i guess that means it will do better processing multiple images if you set the value higher but there will not be any improvement on single image processing time. i tried raising the max cache value and that didn't seem to matter either?

i have just done some experimenting so far but it sounds like that prime actually performs faster with high iso images and slows down with lower iso ones?
The performance stuff only applies to processing more images at once, and PRIME slows every image down, no matter the ISO, but there is so much data and so little noise for it to work with at ISO 100, it really kills it.

I must be doing something wrong, I haven't had an image take over 45-60 seconds yet... hmm...   ???
I don't have the fastest pc in the world, but it takes about 5 sec for the prime to do its thing.  Its saving a jpeg image to disk that seems to take forever for me. 

When I open a image with it set to 8 cores, all 8 of my cores are used at 90% for a bout 3-5 seconds..  When I select Prime NR, 6 cores are used, and two of them are used near 100%while the other 4 only jump to 25% .  Changing the setting seemed to have no impact.

I've been testing it with some worst case D800 high ISO images that run 50+ MB compressed and open to well over 100 MB.

I'm still hanging on to my wallet, but I am impressed.  I'll look for a upload to smug add-in.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
Fyi: DxO Pro Optics 9.5 has been released with supposedly tighter integration with Lightroom.

In practice, this just means that DxO accepts that cannot compete against LR's library management and have to integrate with it, but this could be done before. Let me know if there's really anything wortwhile new here.

The big joke is that even with the official LR integration, DxO still cannot read dng raw files but is happy to export linear dng. In practice, this means that the workflow offer is still a big fail for a lot of people who have converted their raw files to dng for one reason or another (there are a couple of good reasons).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2014, 09:18:10 AM »
In practice, this just means that DxO accepts that cannot compete against LR's library management...

I don't know that they've ever tried.   Personally, I use Aperture for that (for now...).

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2014, 09:20:33 AM »
I don't know that they've ever tried.

Well, at least they tried to ignore that there is a thing such as Adobe or Lightroom, and this has changed now.

Personally, I use Aperture for that (for now...).

Aperture? The program recently abandoned by its manufacturer? Well, we might have you join the LR users group at last then :->

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2014, 11:42:59 AM »
Well, at least they tried to ignore that there is a thing such as Adobe or Lightroom, and this has changed now.

Not really, they have had FilmPack plugins for LR and CS for years.

Aperture? The program recently abandoned by its manufacturer? Well, we might have you join the LR users group at last then

Doubtful.  I suspect Apple's replacement app (Photos) will meet my needs for library management.  Does Lightroom have face detection?  I find that to be a handy feature, a few clicks and I can build a slideshow/movie of one of my kids, for example...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2014, 11:42:59 AM »

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »
Hi wsgroves.
Good news, copied from the manual. Thanks Mackguyver a big help for a noob!
"NOTE
Your activation code allows you to activate the software on two different computers."

Cheers Graham.

haha, it does look like a pretty good one. I'll have to have a in depth look at it since I payed for the software...may as well get the most out of it.
I do HATE that they only let u register on one pc...so If I build a new pc....I gotta get a new activation code from them....dumb.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosine 100-300 retired)

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2014, 05:05:55 AM »
Not really, they have had FilmPack plugins for LR and CS for years.

Ok, thanks for the information, I was thinking of their refusal to import raw dng files (Adobe standard) and the position they take in their forums on this issue - Adobe? What's that? :-p

Does Lightroom have face detection?  I find that to be a handy feature, a few clicks and I can build a slideshow/movie of one of my kids, for example...

I'm positive Adobe will keep adding features with their upcoming releases, for example focus peaking (Capture One has it) - LR6 is about to be released, and they won't stop there. I do hope Apple replacement app will be competitive though, any manufacturer having a monopoly is never good from the users' perspective.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2014, 05:05:55 AM »