August 01, 2014, 05:34:45 AM

Author Topic: Canon Cuts Full-Year Forecast as Camera Users Switch to Phones  (Read 16177 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Cuts Full-Year Forecast as Camera Users Switch to Phones
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2013, 08:03:44 AM »

Can the 6D link to Android devices directly, or will they link through an existing WiFi network only?

Yes the 6D links to the devices directly. For this purpose you have to set up, lets say, a private Wi-Fi network between the phone and the camera.
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2013, 08:03:44 AM »

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »
Yes the 6D links to the devices directly. For this purpose you have to set up, lets say, a private Wi-Fi network between the phone and the camera.

I have tried this in the past with a demo thermal imager and an Android phone.

It didn't work unless the imager and phone were paired on an established WiFi network. The two devices could not communicate directly even though each device was visible to the other. I didn't have a tethering/hot spot feature on my phone (well, really on the monthly bill), so I couldn't test that.

On the other hand, the imager could link directly to an iPad without going through an established WiFi network.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »

I have tried this in the past with a demo thermal imager and an Android phone.

It didn't work unless the imager and phone were paired on an established WiFi network. The two devices could not communicate directly even though each device was visible to the other. I didn't have a tethering/hot spot feature on my phone (well, really on the monthly bill), so I couldn't test that.

On the other hand, the imager could link directly to an iPad without going through an established WiFi network.

Works perfectly with my Android phone without an existing WiFi connection
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:38:43 PM by J.R. »
Light is language!

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »
Cool. Thanks for clarifying.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2013, 12:29:12 PM »
People that are satisfied taking pictures with there phones most likely never where in the DSLR market to begin with.
Thats just the social pic snappers people that like good quality pics will always want a DSLR but hey its recession/crisis. My free spendable income keeps going down as insurancen, Food and everything keeps going up in price and my income isnt going up.
so i simply do not have money for thoustant dollar bodys and multi thousant dollar lenses.
The last generation canon lensen have had some seriously absurd price gains which most normal non professionals simply can no longer afford.

Like the 70-200 F2.8 IS  that lens wwas 1350 euro the new IS II is a whopping 50% more expencive at 2086 euro.
The same happend with all other new lenses so canon just like any other greedy company in this time of recession is doing this to itself.
A normal wise company would lower prices which upps sales and helps the economu but for some reason in this crisis all companys seem to upp prices which lower sales and then bitch about it.
The greed has gone to there heads.
We the consumers dont have the money for your insane prices anymore ajust to it or see your sales drop even more.
=1  ;)

I know from the casual users perspective L stands for luxury, and yeah theres the honda mercedes analogy - but --- in this field its a bit more complex than that as in the car world luxury is really just that - a luxury - a honda or a mercedes perform the exact same function, it gets you to and from work.  L lenses on the other hand are designed for pro work, and are priced according. 

Canon doesn't update it's L's as often as other glass or other systems too - the v1 was releases in 2001, v2 in 2010.  So that's a 9 year cycle.  oh, and at launch, the v1 was at $1999 USD.  Not that much cheapers than the v2 at all. 

Now lets think of the other end --- canon won't be upgrading this lens to the v3 for what, another 8-9 years.     So Canon had to make this new 70-200 not only great in the here and now, but they had to design the optics to last for a decade - AND - knowing the road map to bigger mp's, it had to be a lens that had future proofing - a lens that works great in the 18-22 mp area, but, could also resolve for more MP's as that is the trend. 

Also, buy this lens today and you won't have a need to replace it until the next version comes out, and you won't be replacing it because of issues, (the lens will be fine unless you smashed it or something), it will be because the v3 is better!

To add more perspective - I am using the older version - the non IS 2.8 - release date of 1995, and this one won't get refreshed.  Owned it for 2+ years.  I bought it used, so I have no clue how old the thing actually is.  It continues to be my workhorse.  I will be updating it to the v2 because it is such a workhorse and I think adding IS could help me out in certain circumstances - plus it is better optically than the older one.  Only reason I have waited to upgrade is because I do love my non IS version, and I needed to fill out other areas of my kit.  Oh, andt he release price of the non IS version was $1450

the point is (or rather points are) - would you rather canon just push out new lenses that aren't new at all every year and make them cheap, but also disposable?  Or, would you rather them put the time and effort necessary fort he product to withstand a decade of being on the market? 

Lastly -- if cost is the issue for you but you want L ---save $$$ and buy used!!!!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
Two quick comments:
1.  While 90% of the time I believe you are correct and that those using camera phones will never buy a dSLR, I have to think to some degree increasing the number of people snapping pictures, posting pictures and ultimately participating in photography will eventually increase the number of dSLR owners.  The slice of the pie may shrink, but the size of the pie may be growing. 

2.  For people that can't afford a Luxury lens (L is for Luxury), have you noticed the new 55-250 STM, or the newer 18-55 lens.  Honestly, they are getting pretty darn good optically.  Canon also cut prices on the 17-55 and the 15-85, which are optically very good.  So Canon does have an improving "value" product.  Not surprisingly at all, their top of the line, Luxury, products, aren't aimed at their "value" customers.  They are aimed at people that will pay a lot more for something that is a little better.  Your complaint is analogous to someone that can afford a Honda but angry that a Mercedes isn't more affordable.  Honda is a good car (I drive one).  But it isn't Luxury.

+1.

I eventually migrated to a dSLR from a point and shoot and camera phone.

Tried a couple of different point and shoots, and they never gave me what I was looking for.

Current camera phones are equal or better than my P&S cameras, with similar limitations. However, the phone camera can do things like email and messaging, which are valuable functions not available on my P&S or dSLR cameras.

Actually, it may not at all change the # of people that move to dslr's ---just the path to dslr's --instead of cell phone to P&S to slr---people will skip the P&S step and go right to slr
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

celliottuk

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
I'm a bit late to this thread, so this is a reaction to the original post.
A long established UK high street chain-Jessops Photographic went bust a year ago. They blamed the rise of the smart/cameraphone that was killing off their business in the sub £150 compact camera market, which was their daily cash cow.
I can remember when I had to take a phone, a camera, an MP3 player plus loads more when I was going out. Now I take my phone. The death of compact cameras as they are at the moment is inevitable. The case for £200 plus cameras is less obvious. If I want simply to shove up a picture on Facebook, my phone does the job, for anything else I have decided that I need a tool that has more capabilities(Sometimes a micro 4/3rds camera, sometimes a heavy and expensive SLR)
As the capabilities of phones increase, the mid-market will be eroded, and with it the profits that pay for the R+D needed on high end cameras. That, surely, is the risk that Canon need to consider, and if I were them I would start to invest in technologies that would create a new low-end market. Things like cheap 3d cameras, or cameras with huge zoom capability that would be difficult to implement in a phone form factor come to mind.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2013, 12:48:24 PM »
Last thing to say on this topic for a bit ---part of this whole debate involves trends.  Right now everyone loves the instant gratification of snap upload, watch as the comments and likes pour in.  Who says this trend is the new tomorrow?  Right now, everyone wants to share everything and everyone loves everything that everyone is sharing.  But will that be the case in 2015, 2016, 2017...etc etc.  this is whats happening now, but, what's happening now is a trend - maybe this trend will change. what happens when the likes stop for your duck face in the mirror photo?  What happens when no one cares that you posted a pic of your dinner plate.  What happens when instant upload is considered, "that's so 2013, gawd, no one does that anymore."     

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2013, 12:48:24 PM »