September 02, 2014, 04:15:46 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]  (Read 36894 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]
« Reply #255 on: November 04, 2013, 03:28:22 AM »
If the Mark II will indeed share the same AF system as the 5D Mark III and 1D X I hope they will allow for f/8 autofocus.

hopefully more like 1dx, which is way better than 5d as it has a dedicated af CPU, where the 5d uses the main digic.

my hope / vote is for dedicated af CPU...
What gives you that idea?

The Digic4 chip in the 1D X is dedicated to metering, not AF (although it does feed metering data into the AF system to support face detection/tracking).

Both the 5DIII and 1D X have a dedicated AF processor.  Here's how CPN describes it for the 5DIII:

Quote from: CPN
Achieving this speed and accuracy in the AF algorithm requires a large amount of focus data to be processed quickly. This has been done by the use of distributed processing where both a dedicated AF processor and a camera CPU process data. The dedicated AF processor is four times faster than the one found in the EOS-1D Mark IV.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #255 on: November 04, 2013, 03:28:22 AM »

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 04, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »
If the Mark II will indeed share the same AF system as the 5D Mark III and 1D X I hope they will allow for f/8 autofocus.

hopefully more like 1dx, which is way better than 5d as it has a dedicated af CPU, where the 5d uses the main digic.

You can buy two 5D3s for every one 1DX. ;)
and your point is.  Its a wish...and people keep saying that they are the same auto focus system but they are not.

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 04, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »

and your point is.  Its a wish...and people keep saying that they are the same auto focus system but they are not.

More Digic chips = more cash out. :)
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 04, 2013, 08:57:47 AM »

More Digic chips = more cash out. :)

also equals better camera

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 04, 2013, 09:39:13 AM »
...and people keep saying that they are the same auto focus system but they are not.

Actually, they are the same in terms of components - same sensor, same dedicated AF processor. As I stated above, your statement that the 5DIII lacks a dedicated AF processor is incorret.   The difference is the metering system of the 1D X feeds data into the AF system to allow for face recognition and tracking (although Canon warns that using iTR may slow down AF).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 04, 2013, 05:20:33 PM »
...and people keep saying that they are the same auto focus system but they are not.

Actually, they are the same in terms of components - same sensor, same dedicated AF processor. As I stated above, your statement that the 5DIII lacks a dedicated AF processor is incorret.   The difference is the metering system of the 1D X feeds data into the AF system to allow for face recognition and tracking (although Canon warns that using iTR may slow down AF).

Simply enough, the 5D MkIII is certainly not the 1Dx... Never will be but it's a fine piece of equipment in and of it's own right... I love mine.  I have room enough in my heart to love a 1Dx too!  ;D
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 04, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »
I still think single SD or CF card could cause a bottleneck in the data pipepline. If you do the calculations you'll see that 24MP at 10fps is a higher data rate than the 1DX so I doubt it will actually be that much. It is more likely to be around 23.3MP (like 5D-III) and 9fps, which would still be an improvement on the 7D. Those numbers at least seem to be inline with the capability of the dual-digic5+ architecture as seen in the 1DX.

If you have a 95mbps SD card and the slot/chipset supports full speed 95mbps then single SD slot should be no problem.  If an older tech slot/controller on the camera is used then it may be.

i.e. one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDXPA-032G-X46/dp/B005LFT3QG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1383605671&sr=8-5&keywords=sd+extreme+pro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #261 on: November 04, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 04, 2013, 06:03:42 PM »
I still think single SD or CF card could cause a bottleneck in the data pipepline. If you do the calculations you'll see that 24MP at 10fps is a higher data rate than the 1DX so I doubt it will actually be that much. It is more likely to be around 23.3MP (like 5D-III) and 9fps, which would still be an improvement on the 7D. Those numbers at least seem to be inline with the capability of the dual-digic5+ architecture as seen in the 1DX.

If you have a 95mbps SD card and the slot/chipset supports full speed 95mbps then single SD slot should be no problem.  If an older tech slot/controller on the camera is used then it may be.

i.e. one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDXPA-032G-X46/dp/B005LFT3QG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1383605671&sr=8-5&keywords=sd+extreme+pro

I just down loaded some CF cards and I sustained 102MB/sec bytes not bits. That's just more than 8 times your 95mbps SD cards.... Can we just stick to the better cards please.

SD where meant to be smaller and cheaper than CF

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 04, 2013, 06:44:13 PM »

i.e. one of these:

You can't really use the number of frames per second or the number of megapixels to argue if the slot is SD or CF without considering the buffer size. Nothing states how many shots before the buffer fills or what the size of the buffer is. Make the buffer bigger and you can live a lot longer with a slower storage card...

If you want to run continuous, assuming 32Mbyte per raw image and 12FPS, you are looking at 384MBytes/sec sustained transfer speed.... that's 32 times the speed of your 95Mbit/sec SC card or 6 times the speed of a 160Mbyte/second Sandisk Extreme Pro CF card. ( Read speed is 160MB/sec, write speed is 65MB/sec). Whatever technology they put in the 7D2 for card slot, it is the buffer size that has the most impact.....

If you assumed a 2 second burst and a buffer big enough to hold 2 seconds at 12FPS:
SD - 25 frames and 64 seconds to clear it
CF - 29 frames and 12 seconds to clear it

Does anyone really think that Canon would make a semi-pro camera that can sit there for over a minute trying to clear the buffer? The smart money is on CF.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:47:41 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »

i.e. one of these:

You can't really use the number of frames per second or the number of megapixels to argue if the slot is SD or CF without considering the buffer size. Nothing states how many shots before the buffer fills or what the size of the buffer is. Make the buffer bigger and you can live a lot longer with a slower storage card...

If you want to run continuous, assuming 32Mbyte per raw image and 12FPS, you are looking at 384MBytes/sec sustained transfer speed.... that's 32 times the speed of your 95Mbit/sec SC card or 6 times the speed of a 160Mbyte/second Sandisk Extreme Pro CF card. ( Read speed is 160MB/sec, write speed is 65MB/sec). Whatever technology they put in the 7D2 for card slot, it is the buffer size that has the most impact.....

If you assumed a 2 second burst and a buffer big enough to hold 2 seconds at 12FPS:

Does anyone really think that Canon would make a semi-pro camera that can sit there for over a minute trying to clear the buffer? The smart money is on CF.

don great info, but really there is nothing from stopping them from putting 2GB or more in for buffer really that's what I think it should be min.

StudentOfLight

• EOS M2
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2013, 11:50:56 AM »

i.e. one of these:

Hi Don, Thanks for correcting me on number of cards and valuable info on buffer size.

I can be quite lengthy in my replies sometimes and browser ends up timing-out, so I type responses in text editor and cut+paste into the forum. Sometimes I try to rearrange sentences and fail horribly. The first line my paragraph has nothing to do with rest of the paragraph. The rest of the paragraph is discussing DD5+ capability and the shooting speed of the rumored 7D-II it has nothing to do with number of cards. Apologies.
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L-II,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  35-85mm f/1.8, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2013, 11:50:56 AM »