October 25, 2014, 01:41:18 AM

Author Topic: Buying "dodgy" American Canon camera gear?  (Read 3003 times)

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Buying "dodgy" American Canon camera gear?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 09:08:50 PM »
Warning ... Giving advice on how to break the law, be it to import something without paying taxes due, or to get expensive software without paying for it is not allowed on the site, posts will be removed.

In some cases, the poster will be banned if the violation is obviously intentional.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 09:08:50 PM »

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 04:38:02 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't seeking advice on breaking the law, just what the warranty issues might be. 

Even with paying import duties, the camera equipment still works out cheaper (based on a £1=$1.60 conversion rate as a minimum), especially with some the deals that B&H.  With the purchase of a 5DIII, a 24-70 f2.8II and 70-200 f2.8II, it basically pays for my trip and donates some funds to HMRC to keep the tax man happy.
Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 02:13:53 PM »
Warning ... Giving advice on how to break the law, be it to import something without paying taxes due, or to get expensive software without paying for it is not allowed on the site, posts will be removed.

In some cases, the poster will be banned if the violation is obviously intentional.

The above post appears to have been prompted by a post I made regarding the payment of duty and VAT on imported goods. I wish to clarify that it was not my intention to encourage tax avoidance - in each scenario I proposed, the goods were detected by customs officers and duty/VAT would rightfully be charged.

There are many posts on this site which encourage the use of certain Hong Kong based dealers (i.e. hey folks, use dealer "X" as you won't have to pay import duty!!). A number of these dealers deliberately under-declare the value of the goods for customs purposes therefore anyone who orders from them is going to be party to breaking the law yet the moderators don't appear to discourage recommendation of these dealers. You don't have to look too far to find out which dealers I'm talking about. Indeed, there is a post today re ProCameraShop and whether customs duty can be demanded retrospectively. Depending on the contract small-print YES, OF COURSE IT CAN!!! Some dealers state that they act as a source for the goods but it is you who makes a personal importation therefore you are liable for all duties and taxes.

Please don't think I am having a go at the moderators for being overly cautious about what is posted or that I feel bitter about my post being removed - we all know they have a fairly thankless task keeping track of who's saying what about whom etc. but unless they take a firm stance on all posts recommending the use of such dealers then CR may be thought to condone them.

Kind regards and thank you to the moderators for running the site - your work is appreciated.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 02:13:53 PM »