August 22, 2014, 04:39:53 PM

Author Topic: Any special "hints" for shopping?  (Read 3066 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Any special "hints" for shopping?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »
Just remember that they are not open on Saturdays...... you don't to walk over to visit and find the doors closed...
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »
Although the OP has been and gone there is one thing I'd add.

I love looking for new entries or ideas in lighting rigs and accessories, lightstands, connection goodies, clamps, fittings, light modifiers, reflector kits, etc., that are impossible/difficult to judge in an on-line picture. Sometimes new tripod heads.

The heft and finish of the metal, the new ideas you get for your own work, etc., are valuable input, even if you wait to buy the same gear on line later. Tripod heads are especially a "feel" purchase. Less so the legs. I love all this stuff. For my work the ability to light ANYTHING is what I sell, kinda. Everyone has a camera these days, but few can show up with all this lighting gear and set it up to get a promised "look". You can't usually buy this just before a shoot, either.

OTOH, cases and carry bags in camera stores are often WAY overpriced unless you need to hike to a location shoot into Patagonia on a rainy day with a lot of assistants carrying the gear after being dropped off among the icebergs for a salt-water-spray run into shore on a Zodiac. Come to think of it that sounds like fun. The assistants carrying part. <grin>

Anyway, I love visiting big well stocked camera stores and small specialty retail photo stores too. Just visited Burlington, Vermont, and there's a tiny store, "LeZot" with very professional gear right there! So it isn't a NYC-only kinda thing.

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
OP gone? Nah, just perusing.  We don't have this kind of "mega-store" where I live although the local chaps can be very helpful.  I do buy much of my gear online but the ability to handle gear and talk with a salesperson (my cynical-watch-out-for-urge-to-make-a-sale alarm sounds loudly) is of value so I do purchase from the local bricks and mortar shops, as well.  They can't often beat the online guys but they do deserve to make a living and I value their help.

The beauty of the pilgrimage is that I can go home and buy online from these NYC stores without guilt so I've no issue with browsing and looking.  In fact, nobody in my locale has an Intuos that I could handle but now, I did at B&H.  If I purchase, I'll probably do so through them.

My assistant, well, still beautiful but, it was raining today, so they wisely stayed home.  Just me and my stuff wandering with my finger on the shutter and an alternate lens in the bag.  Sometimes the "overpriced" bags are just perfect, at least for carrying gear
 ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 04:56:01 PM by JPAZ »
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »