October 25, 2014, 06:24:14 AM

Author Topic: What should my first prime lens be?  (Read 8357 times)

brandsteve

Re: What should my first prime lens be?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 12:09:27 AM »
Surprised there are no mentions of the Sigma 50mm 1.4HSM.   Comparable to the Canon 1.2 at a fraction of the price.

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/normal-range/sigma-50mm-f1.4-hsm-for-canon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 12:09:27 AM »

willrobb

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 12:49:32 AM »
When I got my first DSLR is was a 1.6 crop 30D, I used a 50mm F1.4 and got a 17-40mm F4L which I found to be a great combo. When I moved up to FF both lenses were well used and I added in 24-70mm f2.8L and a whole pile of others over time.

Start with some basics to cover the bases of what you will be shooting and to save money long term if you are pretty certain about going full frame, I would recommend lenses that can be used on crop or full frame sensors.

usinglight

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 12:56:57 AM »
My first prime was a 50mm f/1.8 II and I used it for nearly a year on a daily basis on a 60D. I the swapped it for a f/1.4 which I prefer for the noise, bokeh and speed. I also have the 35mm f/2 - a wonderful piece of glass, I use from time to time in order to take report style pictures.
If I could start with primes again I would buy the f/1.4 - it supports my style, is fast and affordable. They all work on full-frames (as they are no EF-S).

Leopard Lupus

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 01:40:47 AM »
I have owned both the Canon 50mm f/1.8 and f/1.4 lens. I must say there is a dramatic difference between the two, a greater one than between the 1.4 and 1.2
I shot with both on a 1.6 crop for many years and found my ability to adjust to the equating 80mm focal length to be fine. Difficult at times, but it worked.
With the 1.6 crop in mind, I would also suggest a Sigma 30mm 1.4
However, I feel (regardless of the camera body) the 50mm 1.4 is a great lens for the money. I shoot primarily with a 5D mk ll and the 50mm 1.4 is mounded 95% of the time.
As your first prime, 30mm is a great start with 1.6 factor in mind. Possibly pair with a zoom, and you'll be well off :)

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 02:18:29 AM »
When I first bought a DSLR I bought a kit with two cheap zooms. Not great lenses optically but it was a good way to get a feel for what focal lengths I'd use most before shelling out for more expensive primes and zooms, something hard to work out with reviews and forums because everyone's style and situations are different.

Anyway just thought I'd mention it because while you have a loaner D90 and kit zoom it might be a good chance to see what the framing is like for the shots you'd like to take. The Nikon is a 1.5 crop and Canon APS-H is 1.6 so for any shots you take with the Nikon you'd just have to multiply by 0.94 to find the equivalent Canon focal length.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 06:18:06 AM »
For cropped camera - a general purpose prime would have to be around the 30mm mark. 50mm is just a bit too long for general purpose indoor shots where you'd likely be using it most.

So I'd recommend the sigma 30mm f/1.4 - but that isn't compatible with FF and you say you plan on upgrading. You can simply sell it and it will hold most of its value. That's what I'd do.

Otherwise the 35mm f/2.0 is excellent and well priced as is the 28mm f/1.8 - both of which are useful focal lengths on FF.

50mm on cropped is great for tight portraits and a great general purpose on FF. I own the sigma 50mm and it is excellent on FF.

The 1.8 is great in image quality but manual focusing is useless (focus ring is horrible) and it has too few aperture blades creating hexagonal bokeh balls rather than pleasing circles.

I never use zooms myself. The 70-200 is about to get sold.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 06:21:03 AM by alipaulphotography »

briansquibb

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 01:27:22 PM »
Get the 24-70L for the first lens.

Get the primes when you are really sure what you want and have had to analyse the usage of the zoom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 01:27:22 PM »