October 20, 2014, 11:53:32 PM

Author Topic: Things to get when you purchase a 600mm?  (Read 11079 times)

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
Re: Things to get when you purchase a 600mm?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
Some people have reported difficulty getting the 600 in and out of the lowepro with lens coat on the hood and the hood reversed for storage.  Often the lenscoat will roll back or cause difficulty getting the lens into the case.  I solved that issue by slipping a plastic shopping bag over the end of the lens.  It slips right in and storage seems faster regardless as there is nothing to get hung up on the case.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »

Morlin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 05:13:46 PM »
I have heard so many good things about stuff from RRS. To make a long story short. My father has a friend who has a son who lives in the US. So with other words I don´t know him that well but according to my father he is a good guy and likes to help Swedish friends. He might be able to help me getting stuff to Sweden.
Is it worth it?
If I only pay the full price for a TVC-34L Versa Series 3 Tripod or another one that you recommend and transport costs it will actually be less expensive than a Gitzo Systematic Series 3 XLS. If I add the extra costs by shipping regular way directly from RRS it would cost a lot more. Maybe the wrong forum for a question like this and might seem wrong to do so but the prices in Sweden and most of all the accessibility of RRS gear really makes it hard to get those. I could pay more for better gear but everything has a limit and when it´s even hard to get it also makes me consider the easier access of Gitzo.

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »
I've heard some good stuff about Don Zeck Lens Cap for telephoto lenses. I'm actually planning to get one for my 200/2.0. I've never used such a big telephoto lenses, but I guess it may be useful for your 600mm as well.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »

Is it worth it?

No doubt in my mind, I'll not go into the equipment list, Neuro and others have covered it to perfection.

I used Gitzo some years back, good gear mostly, but about 3 years ago I switched totally to RRS for Tripod, monopod, safari clamps, replacement foot on all my whites, Gimble head, Ball head, etc etc.

I live in Singapore so I order the gear direct with RRS & ship Fed Ex cheapest Air to Singapore.

Costs for shipping have been between USD$60 to USD$100 per order, the most expensive shipping was when I ordered the 34L tripod & pano head plus bits, that was USD$109 shipping US to Singapore on an order that totalled $1,800.

Singapore also has GST add on, they may or may not be more reasonable than Sweden, cost is generally 7% of Order cost excluding Shipping & Insurance costs. But in Singapore if your Non Citizen (I'm a Resident), you can claim the GST back less Fee when you next leave Singapore, that may not be an option in Sweden.

RRS will either handle payment with a Telegraphic Transfer (they charge a Fee for this but waive the Fee for orders over $1,000 so bite the bullet and get as much gear as you can in the one order, I think the Fee is $35, or waived if more than 1K). I do my order payment now via PayPal to RRS, save Transfer fees and hassle, but of course PayPal have built in Fees as well.

I have had absolutely first class service from RRS, I deal direct with the owners wife with all my orders, so you get spot on service, in this day and age that's simply worth money to me. I could get Gitzo/Arca/Wimberley etc (and still have some of this gear laying about) here in Singapore, but I'm Happy to pay the premium to get the RRS equipment, it is engineered to perfection and being an Engineer I appreciate it when i can see gear made this way.

If you would like the contact details of the lady I deal with at RRS please message me direct & I'll pass the contact details onto you.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
I have heard so many good things about stuff from RRS. To make a long story short. My father has a friend who has a son who lives in the US. So with other words I don´t know him that well but according to my father he is a good guy and likes to help Swedish friends. He might be able to help me getting stuff to Sweden.
Is it worth it?
If I only pay the full price for a TVC-34L Versa Series 3 Tripod or another one that you recommend and transport costs it will actually be less expensive than a Gitzo Systematic Series 3 XLS. If I add the extra costs by shipping regular way directly from RRS it would cost a lot more. Maybe the wrong forum for a question like this and might seem wrong to do so but the prices in Sweden and most of all the accessibility of RRS gear really makes it hard to get those. I could pay more for better gear but everything has a limit and when it´s even hard to get it also makes me consider the easier access of Gitzo.

The RRS has many fans, many own it and it is good equipment.

I own Gitzo legs and they are rock solid and I find no fault in them. I see now real advantage with RRS over legs I have no fault with.

I also use the Wimberly II and it is balanced and works great. Not once have I found a fault with the equipment. I have looked closely at the RRS options and possibly if I did Pano's it might be usefull but probably not for me. I have done Pano's with the long lenses with the Wimbrely and it did fine. RRS might be more compact but broken down I find the Wimberly easy to transport in the backpack I use.

Since you are in Sweden I am not sure it is worth the extra effort you are describing. The positives I see are small.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:40:50 PM by takesome1 »

wtlloyd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »
the single greatest thing about RRS tripods when they came out, that I noticed, was that the leg angle lock is spring loaded. No more forgetting to push in the lock to stop the legs from splaying out, it is click-stop loaded. Paying attention to your tripod when you are setting up in a hurry in the dark in the cold, that is easily missed...
I've dealt with Gitzo service department, and it is definitely a case of wing and a prayer: they say send it in and we will fix it, and they did, but don't expect to talk to anyone about your repair. They charge your card and send it back, and you don't know what was done until you receive it.

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 12:26:32 AM »
I don't have the 600, but I am going to get the 3002.8 II soon.

I use a WH-200 Gimbal Tripod Head II with Quick Release Base (not the sidekick).  You will need an Arca Swiss type plate not a proprietary type (like Benro, etc.) to mount to.  You will love both.  There are other gimbal heads, but don't go cheap on this or the plate.

I use lenscoat to protect the legs from scratches while going through woods, no other reason.

That's all I can contribute.

Best.

sek

Getting more and more sure about that I will empty my account in a couple of month for a 600mm.
I don´t have any gear at all to use with a "great white" so for you who use them or another one of the big ones what do you recommend.

What I know I need is:

Gimbal head = Any suggestions? Thinking of getting a Wimberley because so many are using them and seems satisfied.

Tripod = Thinking of Gitzo GT3542XLS. I know that it´s long but might be useful. Any other suggestions?

Replacement foot / "Arca Swiss plate" = Not sure if I need it. Do you recommend it? Pros and cons?

Quick release clamp = Have no idea if that is useful.

Camo-cover for the lens. = Lens coat or any other brand you recommend?

"Leg warmers" for tripod = Lens coat or any other brand you recommend?

A long list and I guess some might have better ideas than me of what I need. RRS is too expensive when it comes to tripods so even if they are better than Gitzo I think I will be satisfied with a less expensive tripod than RRS.

I have no friends that uses lenses like this so there is no one I can ask for advise. Only times I have seen these lenses is on fairs and those are too crowded to get advises from sales people.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 12:26:32 AM »

Axel

• SX60 HS
  • A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 08:10:06 AM »
As to a tripod head for the 600mm white whale - since you are living in Europe you might also want to have a look at:

http://www.eki-foto.com/en/

kasperj

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Kasper Johansson Photography
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 09:18:46 AM »
Hi Morlin,
Just wanted to chime in regarding buying RRS in Europe. I live in Denmark and have bought various stuff including the LCF-53 replacement foot for my Canon 200-400 which I am really satisfied with btw. I went with a German based dealer which has pretty much all the accessories you can think of getting for wildlife and nature photograhy. They are not cheap, but I recommend them highly for fast delivery and restocking of soldout items. Check them out for yourself:  http://www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de/catalog/index.php
1DX l 1DS Mark III

cervantes

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Focrates
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »
Hi,

I know this is not exactly what you've been asking for but i just wanted to mention that I got the 500II in March and my only accessory to the lens until now was the Lowepro 500AW backpack (and the mark II extenders). I'm not using a tri- or monopod. The 500II is perfect for handheld work -> I can use it all day long without problems, which is a great advantage when it comes to mobility in the field (not having to haul a tripod around).

This will not work with the 600II though, I suppose.

Have fun with an unbelievably awesome lens!
Greetings

TexasBadger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »
I am thinking a Sherpa would be useful.   ;D
5DC, 5D3, Elan7, G12, 28 1.8, 50 1.8 II, 85 1.8 USM, 135 2.0 L, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 560 EX, 580 EX II (2) --- all Canon.

Canon1

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »
Go with the Gitzo and Wimberley, but make sure you also consider a RRS leveling base.  This is the one accessory I could not live without.  Getting your setup perfectly level is critical to smooth action with the gimball and it is really a PIA if you need to adjust the legs every time you move your tripod.  With a RRS leveling base you will have your setup perfectly level in less then 10 seconds.  (I went with RRS over Gitzo because I like how easy it is to loosen and tighten the knob with gloves on)  Happy shooting.

Morlin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »
Hi Morlin,
Just wanted to chime in regarding buying RRS in Europe. I live in Denmark and have bought various stuff including the LCF-53 replacement foot for my Canon 200-400 which I am really satisfied with btw. I went with a German based dealer which has pretty much all the accessories you can think of getting for wildlife and nature photograhy. They are not cheap, but I recommend them highly for fast delivery and restocking of soldout items. Check them out for yourself:  http://www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de/catalog/index.php

Big thank you for the link. I´ve been looking around on most of the biggest camera gear stores here in Sweden but at least on their websites they don´t have as much gear as this one. From this site I can buy all except the lens itself instead of looking all over Sweden stores to find them. Here I have leveling base, leg warmers and more stuff that I have been looking around a lot to find.

The tripods from RRS are very expensive and I guess I will go with a Gitzo anyway because there are limits on how much I want to spend. Most of all because I want more lenses and so on in the future as well and what I spare on a Gitzo instead of a RRS I can spend on other gear instead.

I´m getting more and more clear what to look after. A whole RRS setup might be the best but very expensive.

So with other words:

Gitzo Systematic series 3 the XLS because of the flexibility.
Wimberley gimbal head. Might go with the side mount (not the sidekick).
Leveling base. Might be the RRS leveling base.
RRS lens replacement foot.
Leg warmers
Lens coat
Quick release plate. Not sure which one to buy. Suggestions?
Teleconverter 1,4 mkiii
Drop in polarizing filter.

As mentioned earlier this is really new to me so I´m not to sure about all the stuff yet. One question.. The quick release clamps you can buy is that something that needs to be added or is the clamp on the gimbal head good enough?

Also been thinking a while of a better beamer but not sure yet. Not that much of a investment so I can look at that one later. It will also take a couple of month more for me to save some more money before I start pressing buy-buttons. The lens itself I think I actually will look for the best price in the local stores and go and get myself instead of order on the web. Like carrying your baby home for the first time. Haha.

Thank you all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2013, 04:51:50 PM »
Honestly I use quick release for everything BUT my 600.  I can't come to feel comfortable relying on it to keep that much weight attached.  The wimberly accepts the rrs foot or other arca style plate and I don't find it too inconvenient to just release the plate and slide it out.  I would work without it first to see if it's something you really need on the 600.  It's a lot of money riding on a spring loaded catch.

Hi Morlin,

Big thank you for the link. I´ve been looking around on most of the biggest camera gear stores here in Sweden but at least on their websites they don´t have as much gear as this one. From this site I can buy all except the lens itself instead of looking all over Sweden stores to find them. Here I have leveling base, leg warmers and more stuff that I have been looking around a lot to find.

The tripods from RRS are very expensive and I guess I will go with a Gitzo anyway because there are limits on how much I want to spend. Most of all because I want more lenses and so on in the future as well and what I spare on a Gitzo instead of a RRS I can spend on other gear instead.

I´m getting more and more clear what to look after. A whole RRS setup might be the best but very expensive.

So with other words:

Gitzo Systematic series 3 the XLS because of the flexibility.
Wimberley gimbal head. Might go with the side mount (not the sidekick).
Leveling base. Might be the RRS leveling base.
RRS lens replacement foot.
Leg warmers
Lens coat
Quick release plate. Not sure which one to buy. Suggestions?
Teleconverter 1,4 mkiii
Drop in polarizing filter.

As mentioned earlier this is really new to me so I´m not to sure about all the stuff yet. One question.. The quick release clamps you can buy is that something that needs to be added or is the clamp on the gimbal head good enough?

Also been thinking a while of a better beamer but not sure yet. Not that much of a investment so I can look at that one later. It will also take a couple of month more for me to save some more money before I start pressing buy-buttons. The lens itself I think I actually will look for the best price in the local stores and go and get myself instead of order on the web. Like carrying your baby home for the first time. Haha.

Thank you all.

candc

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
You mentioned the lens is more expensive in Sweden than in the u.s. camera Canada is selling it for $10,959 USD, that's 1300 less than here in the states.

http://www.cameracanada.com/eNet-cart/product.asp?pid=5125B002
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 05:12:15 PM by candc »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »