August 28, 2014, 11:19:26 PM

Author Topic: The opposite of a good deal  (Read 4677 times)

lux

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
The opposite of a good deal
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »
I purchased a refurb lens from Canon on 11/12 with the 125 back.  That lens just went on 15% sale...The long and short of it is that I would have saved about $150 if I had waited for this sale to purchase it.  I called to try and get them to give me the price difference and they were not interested.  I could return it but would have to pay the postage and insurance (likely $50) and then hope to buy another one (not likely). 

They no longer do any price matching ever.--just be warned

I would say that you are far better off purchasing from someone else using greentoe than purchasing directly from Canon.  If I had done that I would have gotten a new lens (of course it might have had a higher risk of a clicking sound) for the same price...probably from adorama or B&H who likely have far better service than Canon. 

Obviously I'm frustrated but I can't help but wonder if Canon had some better competition that they might do a better job
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:31:38 PM by lux »
6d, 2ti,  50 1.4, 40 2.8, 17-40, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 ii. 50-250

canon rumors FORUM

The opposite of a good deal
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »

bratkinson

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: The opposite of a good deal
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:00:16 AM »
I wouldn't consider that as Canon being a bad 'seller'.  You made a purchase at a set price and that was that.  The fact that a lower price occurred later on and you are bitter about it is more the result of impatience than Canon 'out to screw somebody'.  For what it's worth, most retail store advertisements I've ever seen is they will beat any competitors prices -at that time-, not a week, 2 weeks, 2 months after the fact.  So if you want to return your lens and then get the sale-price version, that's your choice.

Just as an aside...I worked at a large corporation where two of my co-workers put in all their paperwork in November to retire on January 31 the following year.  They both had more than 25 years with the company.  On Jan 2, the company announced a 'buyout' deal for retirement-eligible employees.  My co-workers inquired if they could get that deal and the company response was that they signed up to get the 'regular' retirement, and the company was obligated to honor that agreement. 

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 04:36:13 AM »
If you bought the lens when you needed it, there should be no frustration ... but if you bought it even though you did not need it, at that time, then you'll just have to live with that frustration.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:30:27 AM »
I purchased a refurb lens from Canon on 11/12 with the 125 back.  That lens just went on 15% sale...The long and short of it is that I would have saved about $150 if I had waited for this sale to purchase it.

I watch the Canon refurb lens "sales", and maybe I'm missing something, but the "deal" aspect in general seems to be missing.

The lens rebates happen to coincide with price increases.

A good part of the selection seems to be "out of stock" when there is a percent-off sale.

Maybe I'm just missing the "deals".

Unlike most other brick and mortar stores, there is no reason to offer a post-sale price guarantee.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 10:15:33 AM »
Are you complaining because you got a good deal instead of a great deal?

No sympathy here. The refurbished store follows a consistent pattern that is well-known to buyers.

During non-sale times they let the stock build up, then they'll do a $x off if you buy $XXX sale. Then they'll follow up with a percentage off sale. Then they'll end the sale and let the stock build back up before repeating the cycle. They've been doing it like this for years. Consistent and predictable.

For those who don't "get it" this is a sport as much as anything for some of us. Watch the refurbished site for something desirable to show up. Wait for a sale and try to snag a bargain. I strongly suspect the Canon folks manipulate the stock (on the eve of a big sale some good items often suddenly go out of stock...they restock items at random times like 3 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon) So it's kind of fun trying to beat the odds and score.

I suspect the refurbished store people enjoy the game too. I imagine them sitting around saying: "Let's put three 70-200 IIs up at 20% off at 4 a.m. Everybody put a dollar in the pool and pick a time between 4-4:30. Whoever predicts the exact minute and second they all sell gets the pot."

As with anything, you need to remember the "buyer beware" warning. They offer great prices on some items, but not on everything. You can almost always get a white box 24-105 new for less than the refurbished price. Same with many kit lenses and things like the "shorty forty." On the other hand, I've gotten refurbished Speedlites and lenses there for less than the lowest used prices you can get from B&H, Adorama or EBay.

Everything I've bought refurbished is cosmetically and functionally indistinguishable from new, except for either a small red dot or a punch mark on the serial number tag. CPS accepts the serial numbers when you register the products and they now all come with a year's warranty.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »
If you bought the lens when you needed it, there should be no frustration ... but if you bought it even though you did not need it, at that time, then you'll just have to live with that frustration.

+1...to get frustration off your chest, let shoot more with that lens ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:08:45 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

mrzero

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »
First off, the $xx off of $xxx sales are usually not the best deals.  Canon's refurb store usually inflates the asking price a bit before these sales.  It is the xx% off deals that are the best.  They don't always inflate the asking price before these.  Either way, they are just marketing to their crowd.  Most people have no idea there is such a thing as a Canon refurb store, or they do and they just don't want refurbs.  Everybody continues to sell full price new gear when the refurb store is undercutting them.  Ebay continues to sell used gear when the refurb store is undercutting the listing/auction prices.

I complained about the stocking games, but now that canonpricewatch has added a stock tracker, I'm more interested in playing the game.  To get a good deal on a refurb, you basically have to watch the stock and sales over time, set a notification at your price threshold, and hope to get lucky.  It sounds like you bought it at a price that you were happy with.  The only places I've ever heard of giving refunds for a later sale are the big boys, and only on the new gear. 

I say all of this having NOT bought a 6D at the miraculously low zombie sale price in October (for various reasons).  Now, every time I look at the current price, I weigh it against that price, but it may literally never be that low again.  That's the game, and I lost, because I didn't have the cash on hand then. 
Canon 6d, t1i, 20/2.8, 28/1.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.8II, 100/2.8 macro, 70-300/4-5.6, g1x, 430exII, 90ex
Elan 7N with 28-105/3.5-4.5II, Rebel G with 35-70/3.5-4.5, A-1 with 28/2.8, 50/1.8, and 135/3.5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
Did Canon's online store ever offer price matching? In most cases, Manufacturer's own stores can't offer price matching, as it would impact their retailers unfavorably. Why would one sign on as a retailer if the manufacturer could undercut you at any corner?

The best deals I've seen (so far...) were 20% off the refurb price, which is already 20% off the full retail price. You net a 36% discount off retail.
Canon 7D

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »
I watch the Canon refurb lens "sales", and maybe I'm missing something, but the "deal" aspect in general seems to be missing.

You must not be watching closely enough  ;D

Not all of the lenses are a good deal (like some of the low end lenses, kit lenses, etc), but there are some incredible deals on L glass if you can catch them in stock during a 15-20% off sale.

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »
Are you complaining because you got a good deal instead of a great deal?

No sympathy here. The refurbished store follows a consistent pattern that is well-known to buyers.

During non-sale times they let the stock build up, then they'll do a $x off if you buy $XXX sale. Then they'll follow up with a percentage off sale. Then they'll end the sale and let the stock build back up before repeating the cycle. They've been doing it like this for years. Consistent and predictable.

For those who don't "get it" this is a sport as much as anything for some of us. Watch the refurbished site for something desirable to show up. Wait for a sale and try to snag a bargain. I strongly suspect the Canon folks manipulate the stock (on the eve of a big sale some good items often suddenly go out of stock...they restock items at random times like 3 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon) So it's kind of fun trying to beat the odds and score.

I suspect the refurbished store people enjoy the game too. I imagine them sitting around saying: "Let's put three 70-200 IIs up at 20% off at 4 a.m. Everybody put a dollar in the pool and pick a time between 4-4:30. Whoever predicts the exact minute and second they all sell gets the pot."

As with anything, you need to remember the "buyer beware" warning. They offer great prices on some items, but not on everything. You can almost always get a white box 24-105 new for less than the refurbished price. Same with many kit lenses and things like the "shorty forty." On the other hand, I've gotten refurbished Speedlites and lenses there for less than the lowest used prices you can get from B&H, Adorama or EBay.

Everything I've bought refurbished is cosmetically and functionally indistinguishable from new, except for either a small red dot or a punch mark on the serial number tag. CPS accepts the serial numbers when you register the products and they now all come with a year's warranty.

All great points - I'll also add that if you put in the effort to get one of these items during a sale (at least, the ones that are a good deal) you can nearly always sell down the road for more than or equal to what you paid.

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »
I purchased a refurb lens from Canon on 11/12 with the 125 back.  That lens just went on 15% sale...The long and short of it is that I would have saved about $150 if I had waited for this sale to purchase it.  I called to try and get them to give me the price difference and they were not interested.  I could return it but would have to pay the postage and insurance (likely $50) and then hope to buy another one (not likely). 

They no longer do any price matching ever.--just be warned

I would say that you are far better off purchasing from someone else using greentoe than purchasing directly from Canon.  If I had done that I would have gotten a new lens (of course it might have had a higher risk of a clicking sound) for the same price...probably from adorama or B&H who likely have far better service than Canon. 

Obviously I'm frustrated but I can't help but wonder if Canon had some better competition that they might do a better job

Some credit cards still have price protection - maybe you could go that route? Which lens did you buy?

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/help-center/faqs/price-protection.html

lux

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »
I bought the 24-70II which I wanted and needed and missed the october deal for new...then learned people got the same deal later with green toe.  I don't regret buying the lens (mine doesn't click).  It is a large upgrade for me from the 24-105.  (I have been spoiled by the 70-200 ii).  I was frustrated because 1)It's $150 and 2)It was less than 2 weeks afterI bought it.  Of course I need the lens and even if it was worth returning it and then hoping to get it again at a lower price..which isn't going to happen I need the lens for a rehearsal dinner. 

I guess I was unaware of the "sport." 

Yes I like the lens.  Yes I'm happy I got it.  Yes I wish I got the absolute best price for it.  there were a few copies available with the recent sale but gone by 1AM

6d, 2ti,  50 1.4, 40 2.8, 17-40, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 ii. 50-250

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 02:34:25 PM »
First off, the $xx off of $xxx sales are usually not the best deals.  Canon's refurb store usually inflates the asking price a bit before these sales.  It is the xx% off deals that are the best.  They don't always inflate the asking price before these.  Either way, they are just marketing to their crowd.  Most people have no idea there is such a thing as a Canon refurb store, or they do and they just don't want refurbs.  Everybody continues to sell full price new gear when the refurb store is undercutting them.  Ebay continues to sell used gear when the refurb store is undercutting the listing/auction prices.

I complained about the stocking games, but now that canonpricewatch has added a stock tracker, I'm more interested in playing the game.  To get a good deal on a refurb, you basically have to watch the stock and sales over time, set a notification at your price threshold, and hope to get lucky.  It sounds like you bought it at a price that you were happy with.  The only places I've ever heard of giving refunds for a later sale are the big boys, and only on the new gear. 

I say all of this having NOT bought a 6D at the miraculously low zombie sale price in October (for various reasons).  Now, every time I look at the current price, I weigh it against that price, but it may literally never be that low again.  That's the game, and I lost, because I didn't have the cash on hand then.

There's definitely a good chance it will be even lower than that price, once it comes time for the camera to be replaced.  You're almost halfway through the 6D's lifespan of production...so you might as well wait until the replacement announcement, if you're that nuts about saving a hundred or two.  Or else consider buying used, because those prices are bound to begin falling as time goes on, likely before the replacement announcement.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 02:34:25 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »
This is an interesting thread, and I've never heard of "green toe".  I've never been all that interested in refurbs, but maybe I should change my mind.

It seems to me that if there are such huge deals on refurbs, then it might make sense to purchase the priciest Canon items this way, such as the superteles, or the 1 series bodies.  Of course it's possible there isn't as much of a "deal" on these...

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »
It seems to me that if there are such huge deals on refurbs, then it might make sense to purchase the priciest Canon items this way, such as the superteles, or the 1 series bodies.  Of course it's possible there isn't as much of a "deal" on these...

Aside from the 300mm 2.8 II, and the 400mm DO, they don't typically stock the super tele refurbs - they only started carrying the 300 around the middle of this year. Hopefully they'll be adding some of the others down the road.

The deal on those lenses is pretty good - the price on the 300mm, during this recent sale, was $4963 and you still get the 1 year warranty. They only had one in stock, though, and it sold out within the first minute of the sale starting. I believe it's the first time that lens was in stock during one of the % off sales.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »