October 01, 2014, 12:21:29 AM

Author Topic: The opposite of a good deal  (Read 4811 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: The opposite of a good deal
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »
It seems to me that if there are such huge deals on refurbs, then it might make sense to purchase the priciest Canon items this way, such as the superteles, or the 1 series bodies.  Of course it's possible there isn't as much of a "deal" on these...

Aside from the 300mm 2.8 II, and the 400mm DO, they don't typically stock the super tele refurbs - they only started carrying the 300 around the middle of this year. Hopefully they'll be adding some of the others down the road.

The deal on those lenses is pretty good - the price on the 300mm, during this recent sale, was $4963 and you still get the 1 year warranty. They only had one in stock, though, and it sold out within the first minute of the sale starting. I believe it's the first time that lens was in stock during one of the % off sales.

Good to know!  But what about 1 series bodies?  Are they ever refurbed and then a sale on that?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »
Good to know!  But what about 1 series bodies?  Are they ever refurbed and then a sale on that?
Yes, but they're often excluded from the sale or the % off is reduced - same for the 5D3.

I don't know if I ever caught the 1DX refurb at 15% or 20% off, but it seems to sell out quickly even at the normal refurb price of $5439.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
Yes, but they're often excluded from the sale or the % off is reduced - same for the 5D3.

I don't know if I ever caught the 1DX refurb at 15% or 20% off, but it seems to sell out quickly even at the normal refurb price of $5439.

Interesting.  And with a 1DX refurb, is the shutter replaced?  What else do you think gets done to refurbish it?

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »

Interesting.  And with a 1DX refurb, is the shutter replaced?  What else do you think gets done to refurbish it?

I don't know what all they do to them, but the shutter counts are typically low. Under 20 on one body I purchased and under 250 on another. Counts over 1-2K seem to be rare, but if you get one they'll usually swap it out for one with a lower count, although IMO it would be ridiculous to swap a refurb 1D body because of 2K clicks on it.

Here's Canon's blurb about the refurbs: http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/CusaMiscPageView?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&file=refurbished/refurb.html

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »
I watch the Canon refurb lens "sales", and maybe I'm missing something, but the "deal" aspect in general seems to be missing.

You must not be watching closely enough  ;D

Not all of the lenses are a good deal (like some of the low end lenses, kit lenses, etc), but there are some incredible deals on L glass if you can catch them in stock during a 15-20% off sale.
Indeed! The EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM (yes, the II version...) is/was on "sale" for $4,963.32 (It is currently out of stock). a full 32% ($2,335.68) off the full Canon retail price of $7,299.

I'd say that was a deal, if you got it!

Also, of late, they've been offering free shipping almost all the time, and they upgraded the warranty on refurbs to a full year. Making it all a great deal, if your fingers (and credit card!) are fast enough!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:31:24 PM by viggen61 »
Canon 7D

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 03:30:05 PM »
Most - but not all - refubished products from Canon and Apple, etc. were not out in the wild long enough to have a lot of use, or in a camera's case, shutter actuations. Most are demo cameras, functioning returns, etc. Perhaps even CPS "loaners" back from the field.

I don't think they could get away with a really "used" camera as a refurbished unit. Between the expense of refurbishing it, and the liability, it just wouldn't be worth it.

But, if there was a fault with a shutter, it would be replaced, I'm sure.
Canon 7D

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 03:58:52 PM »
Most - but not all - refubished products from Canon and Apple, etc. were not out in the wild long enough to have a lot of use, or in a camera's case, shutter actuations. Most are demo cameras, functioning returns, etc. Perhaps even CPS "loaners" back from the field.

I don't think they could get away with a really "used" camera as a refurbished unit. Between the expense of refurbishing it, and the liability, it just wouldn't be worth it.

But, if there was a fault with a shutter, it would be replaced, I'm sure.

Interesting.  But this sort of means a "refurb", is not really refurbished in the literal sense.  I guess that's why so many of you like "refurbs", because they're essentially a new unit.  However, with lenses, if they have been out in the wild, then they are bound to be exposed to dust in places Canon might not clean, true?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 03:58:52 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 04:01:29 PM »

I don't know what all they do to them, but the shutter counts are typically low. Under 20 on one body I purchased and under 250 on another. Counts over 1-2K seem to be rare, but if you get one they'll usually swap it out for one with a lower count, although IMO it would be ridiculous to swap a refurb 1D body because of 2K clicks on it.

Here's Canon's blurb about the refurbs: http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/CusaMiscPageView?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&file=refurbished/refurb.html

Thanks for the info.  However, that video is just a long-winded puff piece that tells me Canon cares about customer service.  This is good to know, because I've never heard this before !  :P

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »

Not all of the lenses are a good deal (like some of the low end lenses, kit lenses, etc), but there are some incredible deals on L glass if you can catch them in stock during a 15-20% off sale.

I did catch a good price on a 600 ex-rt.

The only lens on my list is a 24 ts-e ii.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »

It shows as in stock for me, but won't add to cart. You might be able to call them and get it if this looks like a good price to you. http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses/ts-e-24mm-f35l-ii-refurbished

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »

It shows as in stock for me, but won't add to cart. You might be able to call them and get it if this looks like a good price to you. http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses/ts-e-24mm-f35l-ii-refurbished

Keep trying. That happened to me last week with the 200 2.8 prime. I even emailed Canon Refurb, but before they could resolve it, the glitch seemed to clear up and I ordered immediately. Got it a few days later. Perfect as usual.

Interesting.  But this sort of means a "refurb", is not really refurbished in the literal sense.  I guess that's why so many of you like "refurbs", because they're essentially a new unit.  However, with lenses, if they have been out in the wild, then they are bound to be exposed to dust in places Canon might not clean, true?

I was at a Canon Live Learning event earlier this month. They had a lot of lenses that I recognized as being consistently on the refurb list on a table for people to play with. I asked the Canon reps about the refurb store, they were vague about where all they get the lenses, but said that the ones they take around for events like this, etc., are one source. They did have a TS lens there and BTW they would not let anyone put on or remove a lens or put it on your own body. They did it for you and then handed you the body with lens attached. I saw them politely but firmly snatch the cameras away from people if anyone started to try to remove the lens.

Sometimes I do wonder if they "seed" the refurb store with new items occasionally. I also suspect that in a overseas shipping cargo with hundreds of lenses in it, there are always a certain percentage where the outside box gets bent or something similar and I wonder if they pull some of those out and rebox them in the white refurb boxes.

My guess is they get these from dozens of sources. Trade shows, dealer returned items, Live Learning events, boxes damaged in transit, CPS loaners, etc. From the condition of every item I've bought (and from the date code when Canon used to put codes on lenses) none of the items I bought could have been out in the field for long if ever.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »

I was at a Canon Live Learning event earlier this month. They had a lot of lenses that I recognized as being consistently on the refurb list on a table for people to play with. I asked the Canon reps about the refurb store, they were vague about where all they get the lenses, but said that the ones they take around for events like this, etc., are one source. They did have a TS lens there and BTW they would not let anyone put on or remove a lens or put it on your own body. They did it for you and then handed you the body with lens attached. I saw them politely but firmly snatch the cameras away from people if anyone started to try to remove the lens.

Sometimes I do wonder if they "seed" the refurb store with new items occasionally. I also suspect that in a overseas shipping cargo with hundreds of lenses in it, there are always a certain percentage where the outside box gets bent or something similar and I wonder if they pull some of those out and rebox them in the white refurb boxes.

My guess is they get these from dozens of sources. Trade shows, dealer returned items, Live Learning events, boxes damaged in transit, CPS loaners, etc. From the condition of every item I've bought (and from the date code when Canon used to put codes on lenses) none of the items I bought could have been out in the field for long if ever.

Good info told via interesting anecdote, thank you!  Can we be friends after all?  :P

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 06:48:23 PM »
Good info told via interesting anecdote, thank you!  Can we be friends after all?  :P

Ha! I didn't know we weren't.

To tell you the truth, I hardly ever remember whom I've disagreed with or agreed with on this forum. Just sort of depends on the topic.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 06:48:23 PM »

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 08:27:12 PM »
Did Canon's online store ever offer price matching? In most cases, Manufacturer's own stores can't offer price matching, as it would impact their retailers unfavorably. Why would one sign on as a retailer if the manufacturer could undercut you at any corner?

The best deals I've seen (so far...) were 20% off the refurb price, which is already 20% off the full retail price. You net a 36% discount off retail.

THIS. ^^^

I grabbed one of the 6d's that was 20% off. total was 1350 after tax (1230 before- wowza) . I didnt want one, but for its FF performance and that price- i couldnt say no. I debated sending it back and buying a 70d, but im glad i didnt.

All isnt roses though- canon sold me a 6D with super-busted Af. Its now in the shop. gyaddamnit.

Buyer beware- canon does a LOUSY job of proofing their equipment with their testing. The first 50 1.4 i got from them was so atrocious that i felt like i was scammed.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 09:03:24 PM »
Did Canon's online store ever offer price matching? In most cases, Manufacturer's own stores can't offer price matching, as it would impact their retailers unfavorably. Why would one sign on as a retailer if the manufacturer could undercut you at any corner?

The best deals I've seen (so far...) were 20% off the refurb price, which is already 20% off the full retail price. You net a 36% discount off retail.

THIS. ^^^

I grabbed one of the 6d's that was 20% off. total was 1350 after tax (1230 before- wowza) . I didnt want one, but for its FF performance and that price- i couldnt say no. I debated sending it back and buying a 70d, but im glad i didnt.

All isnt roses though- canon sold me a 6D with super-busted Af. Its now in the shop. gyaddamnit.

Buyer beware- canon does a LOUSY job of proofing their equipment with their testing. The first 50 1.4 i got from them was so atrocious that i felt like i was scammed.

I'm surprised to hear that you had functional issues with two items - I've ordered at least 20 different refurb items from them, and the only problem I had was a 430EX II pouch that had a really nasty smell. They sent me another one after I called. Never a scratch or any other issues aside from that.

Of course I've had that same issue with new gear - 2 BG-E11's I got from Amazon had a terrible chemical smell that eventually went away (after months) on the one I kept.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 09:03:24 PM »