July 28, 2014, 03:00:28 PM

Poll

Is the noise coming from this 24-70 2.8 USM II normal?!

Yes
4 (17.4%)
No
15 (65.2%)
It's a normal mechanical noise - nothing to be worried about (What Canon tells me)
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Lens Squeak - 24-70 2.8 USM II - Is this Normal?  (Read 6900 times)

takesome1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Lens Squeak - 24-70 2.8 USM II - Is this Normal?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »
  The sound comes from the dust and weather seals inside the lens moving against the lens barrel.

It was my thought that your barrel was dirty. Dirty seals.

But I wouldn't accept this response from Canon. Dust inside the lens isn't acceptable if it is new.
Tell them to clean the lens.

No I think you misunderstood Canon's response. They meant the "Dirt and weather seal" caused this, not "dirt inside weather seal" caused this.

Back to the OP, I think the squeak that comes right before the lens is fully retracted indicating something pressuring onto the barrel to "fully close" the lens from moisture

I did not misunderstand Canon's response. You drew a conclusion from a statement given to suggest a course of action, not an analysis of Canon's statements.

To separate dust and seal as completely separate issues wouldn't make sense. If it inside the lens it is inside of the part that is weather sealed. But which part of "inside" the lens doesn't apply? If there is dust moving against the lens barrel and the weather seals move against the lens barrel I guess we should assume that that the dust will stay separate from the seals?

To your comment, what would be pressured to "fully close" the lens from moisture? I must have missed the note from Canon that the lens must be "fully closed" to protect it from moisture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »

mshaw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 08:01:23 PM »
Here is the latest from Canon in regards to the 'squeak.' Apparently a 'squeak' to me, is a mechanical sound to Canon. We live in a strange world… for reference I've posted a link to a video of the squeak er uh… I mean... mechanical sound. Most expensive mechanical sound I ever paid for!  ::)

Canon 24-70 2.8 USM II Lens Squeak (2) Small | Large

Dear Mark Shaw:

We appreciate your continued correspondence.

I understand your concern.  The sound we are both referring to is not considered a "squeak".  The lens as it moves will make a mechanical sounds, but not a squeaking sound.  Squeaking to me would be a higher pitched sound.  The lens was just returned from the repair facility.  Regrettably, the only option we are left with would be sending the camera back to the repair facility for a repeat repair.  If you would like to receive the shipping label, please provide the following information.

Product Serial Number:
Date of Purchase:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone Number:

We look forward to your reply with the information we have requested regarding your PowerShot SD4000 IS.
-----------------------------------------------------

We look forward to your reply with the information we have requested.

Sincerely,

Ronald
Technical Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email.  If you would prefer to speak to a technician for additional assistance, you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with unresolved issues by dialing 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

takesome1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
Here is the latest from Canon in regards to the 'squeak.' Apparently a 'squeak' to me, is a mechanical sound to Canon. We live in a strange world… for reference I've posted a link to a video of the squeak er uh… I mean... mechanical sound. Most expensive mechanical sound I ever paid for!  ::)

Canon 24-70 2.8 USM II Lens Squeak (2)

Dear Mark Shaw:

We appreciate your continued correspondence.

I understand your concern.  The sound we are both referring to is not considered a "squeak".  The lens as it moves will make a mechanical sounds, but not a squeaking sound.  Squeaking to me would be a higher pitched sound.  The lens was just returned from the repair facility.  Regrettably, the only option we are left with would be sending the camera back to the repair facility for a repeat repair.  If you would like to receive the shipping label, please provide the following information.

Product Serial Number:
Date of Purchase:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone Number:

We look forward to your reply with the information we have requested regarding your PowerShot SD4000 IS.
-----------------------------------------------------

We look forward to your reply with the information we have requested.

Sincerely,

Ronald
Technical Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email.  If you would prefer to speak to a technician for additional assistance, you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with unresolved issues by dialing 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

In this video it sounds normal. I can't hear it either.

I could barely hear a squeak in the second video in your first post. 

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 08:37:39 PM »
Sounds like air pressure to me, not a mechanical squeak. Zoom it slightly slower allowing the air trapped inside the barrel to get past the weatherproofing sealing ring with less pressure and I am sure it will be gone. How often do you zoom that fast when shooting video?
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

mshaw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »
Sounds like air pressure to me, not a mechanical squeak. Zoom it slightly slower allowing the air trapped inside the barrel to get past the weatherproofing sealing ring with less pressure and I am sure it will be gone. How often do you zoom that fast when shooting video?

The first time i heard it chirp I thought it was air pressure too. Didn't pay much attention to it, until I realized it was beginning to consistently squeak. Unfortunately, the cause is not air. Unless I retract the zoom at the pace of a snail it will undoubtedly squeak. Something internally is causing it. I'm all ears if you can think of another cause though!

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 10:06:55 PM »
Normal. Mine does it too. I figured it was the dust/weather sealing in the lens because if I wipe down the extending barrel with my cleaner I use for all my gear, it goes away for months. When it comes back, another wipe down and it goes away again. Makes sense, as it probably acts as a weak lubricant of sorts on the seals.

To me, it sounded like a gasket/seal... So hearing Canon confirm that makes perfect sense. Again, once I wipe down the barrel, the sound goes away completely. Try doing the same?

I use Meguiars interior protectant for all my camera cleaning (external). Good for light rubber/plastic cleaning and without being greasy. I spray it on a microfiber very lightly and wipe down my equipment.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:10:39 PM by Invertalon »

mshaw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 10:22:49 PM »
Normal. Mine does it too. I figured it was the dust/weather sealing in the lens because if I wipe down the extending barrel with my cleaner I use for all my gear, it goes away for months. When it comes back, another wipe down and it goes away again. Makes sense, as it probably acts as a weak lubricant of sorts on the seals.

To me, it sounded like a gasket/seal... So hearing Canon confirm that makes perfect sense. Again, once I wipe down the barrel, the sound goes away completely. Try doing the same?

I use Meguiars interior protectant for all my camera cleaning (external). Good for light rubber/plastic cleaning and without being greasy. I spray it on a microfiber very lightly and wipe down my equipment.

Very interesting. I was planning on going to my local canon store this weekend to see if other copies had a similar issue. Both times the lens was serviced by canon, it was lubricated, so I would be hesitant to chalk this up to a lubrication issue. That said, I could see why using Meguiars would lessen the noise. Even if it is less greasy then ArmorAll, it would still get everything sliding nicely I'm sure.

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not certain I'll go down this road as I'm a bit concerned about using Meguiars on my gear. From my experience with any car care products of that nature it tends to attract dust/dirt act in the long run. It sounds like you have not had this issue though?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 10:22:49 PM »

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 10:31:32 PM »
Nope, I have been using the stuff for years. It absolutely does not feel greasy one bit, nor does it attract dust or cause any other issues. Again, I just lightly mist a microfiber and wipe down everything. It does not get "wet" or anything. It acts as a very mild cleaner/protectant, and has been my go-to product for choice as it is safe on almost all rubber/plastic surfaces.

It is NOT the protectant product they sell, but the interior cleaner. Here is a link to the one I am talking about on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Interior-Detailer-Cleaner-16-oz/dp/B000AMLWH8

M.ST

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 06:18:12 AM »
The lens IQ is very good but:

1. Canon has massive production problems not only with the 24-70 2.8 II (I test a few 70-200 2.8 II IS L lenses with the new caps on it and all the testet lenses delivers a very bad IQ - compared to my two lenses the tested 70-200 2.8 II IS L lenses are totally junk - I tested a new 100 2.8 Macro IS lens and are the opinion that the plastic body feels more cheap as my Macro lens body)

2. After opening and looking into one of the latest 24-70 2.8 II lenses (new Cap on it) I was disappointed about the product quality inside the lens. The product quality of the version one (not the IQ) is a big step over the version two.

Conclusion:
Send it back to Canon and demand a lens without problems or sell it and buy the 24-70 4.0 IS lens. The 24-70 4.0 IS has much better IQ (only if the objects is a few meters away). The 24-70 4.0 IS is now in IQ the sencond best Canon lens only a few points away from the 180 mm Macro lens.

mike921

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 07:31:01 AM »
Mine doesn't squeak, either fast or slow zooming.  Serial #011500xxxx, came with the non-pinch type front cap.

Ripley

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 10:20:45 AM »
"Squeaking" noises come from friction between two surfaces. That lens is known to have a tight assembly and stiff zoom ring. Something is probably just rubbing a bit microscopically and always has been. It will probably go away eventually. Would you prefer a loose assembly?

I think you're obsessing (understandably). If the IQ is great and everything is functioning properly, I say let it go and enjoy your lens.
5Diii | 24-70L ii | 70-200L ii | 600EX-RT x 2 | ST-E3-RT

mshaw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 10:19:15 PM »
"Squeaking" noises come from friction between two surfaces. That lens is known to have a tight assembly and stiff zoom ring. Something is probably just rubbing a bit microscopically and always has been. It will probably go away eventually. Would you prefer a loose assembly?

I think you're obsessing (understandably). If the IQ is great and everything is functioning properly, I say let it go and enjoy your lens.

This idea would make sense except that the lens did not squeak out of the box. The squeak started as an intermittent problem after what I'd estimate to be 3 mo. of use and progressed until it became consistent. If the lens had started with the squeak, when it's tolerances would have presumably been the tightest - perhaps it would loosen up over time. If anything, after a summer of being lugged around the PNW the lens should be well on it's way to loosening up, but the squeak has gotten worse. Thanks for the input, any and all ideas are welcome. Looking into hiring a Witch Doctor in Portland to throw some chicken bones at it now. Amazing what you can find on craigslist!

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
Another downside to this is resale value.  Buyers would likely return to you a lens that squeaks, and if you list the squeak in the ad you'd have to price it much lower than other sellers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »

mshaw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »
Another downside to this is resale value.  Buyers would likely return to you a lens that squeaks, and if you list the squeak in the ad you'd have to price it much lower than other sellers.

Completely agree. Planning on going to my local canon store tomorrow to handle other 24-70's. Very confident other copies will not squeak. Will take another video, side by side, with my lens squeak and the other copies non-squeak and will be returning lens to canon for the #3 attempt, video included. Perhaps they won't be able to justify this as 'normal' if none of the other copies exhibit this 'normal mechanical sound.'

Re-Sale Value is my #2 reason for pushing the issue, right behind decreased functionality for video. I would never buy a lens that squeaked. Not sure who the heck would want to unless it was ridiculously cheap.

The saga continues…

OKO-SAN

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »
Clean and non-aggressive cleaning agent - water for injection ampoules. Purchased at your local pharmacy. Do not use large amounts of water. Fiber should be slightly moist. Do not mount the lens to the body to dry completely. Pure water does not leave sticky spots for dust.)))

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »