July 22, 2014, 10:18:07 PM

Author Topic: Retro gone wrong? dpr first impressions and test shots, Nikon DF  (Read 4308 times)

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:40:46 PM by candc »

canon rumors FORUM

Retro gone wrong? dpr first impressions and test shots, Nikon DF
« on: November 27, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Retro gone wrong? dpr first impressions and test shots, Nikon DF
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 04:01:21 PM »
Typical DPReview.

"The Df is a bit silly"

"The Df is one of the most interesting cameras of the year"

O.o

I don't find it silly, but I find it overly retro (seriously, retro should be the inspiration, but there's no good in going back to the manufacturing limitations of the 60s) and with a price that hardly reflects the spec sheet. Also, besides the design, the overall functionality doesn't seem to support manual lenses all that much.

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »
i like the idea but i would want an ae-1p with digital innards, no need for all that extra stuff. look at how huge it is, its like a brick with knobs!

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-df/6

Fuji seems to be on the right track with retro design.  Can't wait for ff x series.
Df is too bulky with too many buttons.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

MrFotoFool

• EOS M2
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »
I found the pre-announcement teaser videos very enticing.  But as soon as I saw a picture of the real thing, my interest dropped to zero.  I do not know who would buy that camera at that price.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »
I found the pre-announcement teaser videos very enticing.  But as soon as I saw a picture of the real thing, my interest dropped to zero.  I do not know who would buy that camera at that price.

+1
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »
I don't buy cameras as a fashion statement, but as tools to get a job done.  There seems to be little need for the DF in that regard, its for those with lots of money to burn that want a toy to show off.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »

RomainF

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 07:11:52 PM »

+1

I'd say that Leica cameras sell pretty well regarding their prices and spec sheets.
I imagine that Nikons people tried to come up with their "response" to Leica. A good enough camera for fortunate amateurs. A camera which is more interesting than powerful. A camera to sell to folks who don't care shooting @ 12.800iso but who want a very-interesting/good-looking one. And there are guys like these all over the world. Fortunate people who want a "luxury"-item as a camera. Leicas are too restrictive. The rangefinder is a real pain in the ass for people who just want to shoot pictures of their holidays, their friends and eventually some flowers in their garden on a sunny sunday afternoon. The Nikon DF could be the good one for them.
Leica & Canon
35 1.4 for both ; ultra-wide & teles for the Canon

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »
Really seems that Nikon DF is targeting the wealthy amateurs who buy Leica, but do not want the limitations of Rangefinder: No autofocus, no zoom lenses, no macro lenses, no ultra wide lens, no super tele lenses, no vision truly through lens, etc... :-[ However, it could be an attractive sensor Nikon DF had black and white, like the Leica Monocrom.

K13X5C

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »
I don't buy cameras as a fashion statement, but as tools to get a job done.  There seems to be little need for the DF in that regard, its for those with lots of money to burn that want a toy to show off.

Well said.

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 08:11:35 PM »
I can understand the appeal that leica has. Small, simple, classy, excellent image quality. I would even buy one if money were no object. This Nikon on the other hand is an example of trying to do too much and succeeding at nothing. I don't think I would ever use it if you gave it to me, it's just frankensteinish.

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 08:25:57 PM »
Awful design. Awful price. Awfully big and heavy. Unnecessary wastage of company funds. A sure misfire, just like Canon's Powershot N.

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »
Well typical Nikon, like with the SB900 to SB910 and D600 to D610, they'll soon enough get an update, like a DFs or something, that will cost the same but address the problems it inherently has... or not.

And this isn't mentioned much but the DF was apparently on the design board since 2009, that's 4 years worth of work in design for something that has focus on looks over function but they fail completely in understanding their own history.
If they didn't overkill with the price and just essentially stuck a digital sensor into a reworked FM2 then terrific! You please those with nostalgia and the hipsters alike. It'd be compact, though with a screen and buttons that need arrangement, but it will look and feel like a classic and it wouldn't even need as fancy of an AF or much speed.

The Fuji X series, especially the X100 doesn't look like any retro camera, but they got it down right, it's slim and beautiful, with enough analogue control and a good feel. Also a rangefinder is just fun to use, while classic SLRs, I love them not just with their weight and size but the viewfinder, I look through an AE1 and the magnification feels great, like I'm apart of the scene and not just peering into it, a 50mm feels wider than it actually is even though the viewfinder doesn't cover 100% of the image, I'm sure others can relate to that feel.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 09:34:04 PM »
i couldn't resist
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:50:50 PM by candc »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • M.R.S. = my initials! www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 12:35:28 AM »
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-df/6

Fuji seems to be on the right track with retro design.  Can't wait for ff x series.
Df is too bulky with too many buttons.

In fact it looks like it could be painful in use. Big, heavy, bulky and look at that grip....  :-\

It's not 'retro' design but 'reverse' design (reverse as in backward).
5D3, 5D2, NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 & 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 12:35:28 AM »