October 01, 2014, 06:55:43 AM

Author Topic: Canon EF 35 f/1.4L II to Finally Arrive? [CR1]  (Read 11368 times)

BLFPhoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Canon EOS user since '91...
    • View Profile
    • Brian Fancher Photography
Re: Canon EF 35 f/1.4L II to Finally Arrive? [CR1]
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
I don't think I would call the Sigma a holy grail either.  But it seems more than adequate for the way I shoot, and better than my 35 L in many, if not most situations.  I also use AI servo quite a bit but haven't used the Sigma much in that mode yet.  I'll give it a whirl and see what shakes out.  In the few times I've used AI servo with it at events I hadn't noticed any issue. 

Frankly, I'm shocked at the improvements Sigma has made with the 35 and their new direction.  I did not expect the performance to challenge the 35l which is easily my favorite lens ever.  I certainly expected to see focus accuracy issues, any that hasn't been the case so far.  Not like the copies of the Sigma 50 and 85 I've tried.  Those immediately showed worse focusing than their Canon counterparts that I own and I was glad to hand them back to their owners. 

Give me rock solid Canon L build and focus with the Sigma's image rendering or better and I'll be a happy camper with  a 35L II.  I don't get the fetish with IS on fast glass, though I wouldn't turn it down if they pull the first two parts off as well.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 11:18:50 PM by BLFPhoto »
1D Mk IV, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 6D, 7D, EOS 55 (film), EF 17-40L, EF 24-70L Mk I, EF 24 f/2.8, EF 35 f/1.4L, Sigma 35 f/1.4, EF 40 f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 50 f/1.8 Mk I, EF 85 f/1.2L, EF 100 f/2.8L, EF 135 f/2.0L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L Mk II, EF 300 f/4.0L IS, EF 300 f/2.8L IS I

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
So this thread stopped after 5 pages, no wonder why Canon didn't bother to put the 35 out sooner. It's me and a hundred guys more that gives a cr@p about it. What's shame... Well, it will be updated sooner or later and I'll be first on line..
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »
Well, there's three groups at play here.
A group who have their 35L and generally very pleased with it and have been for a long time. My copy has paid for itself many times over the last 7 years of use.
Then there's a group of users who have just bought the new Siggi version. A great lens, but they like to make a big fuss over this new lens because they feel that they have a bargain...a better lens for less money. While it's true it's a fine lens, it's not up to the Canon L build standards and they are comparing a new design to one that's substantially older. The Sigma will always be a sigma and they have a reputation for mechanical failure and sloppy AF (a generalization and not pointed at this lens in particular).
Then there's a third group of guys who want a 35L but secretly want a new Canon version so that it's slightly better than the Siggi....which is totally silly when comparing the final images...
Either way, it's fun to see the drive and motivations in this thread. I'm in cat 1....but could easily tip into cat 3 once it's finally released and I get a big dose of lens envy :D 

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
I'm in the forth group who sold my second or third copy of the 35 to finance other fun lenses , but want weather sealing and even better overall performance and would never buy the Siggy and don't want to spend 35 L II savings on another mk1... ;)
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

crasher8

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2013, 04:14:47 PM »
Just used mine

bobby samat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Samat Photography
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 11:41:08 AM »
that last picture is a cool shot.

however, the young man's face is soft.  the snow behind him is sharp.  in my opinion at least.

which lens were you using and were you using servo?
5D3, TS-E 17mm f/4L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 12:38:06 PM »
that last picture is a cool shot.

however, the young man's face is soft.  the snow behind him is sharp.  in my opinion at least.

which lens were you using and were you using servo?

Critical focus is the name of the game.

35/2 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 12:38:06 PM »

Arctic Photo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »
A group who have their 35L and generally very pleased with it and have been for a long time. My copy has paid for itself many times over the last 7 years of use.
Then there's a group of users who have just bought the new Siggi version. A great lens, but they like to make a big fuss over this new lens because they feel that they have a bargain...a better lens for less money. While it's true it's a fine lens, it's not up to the Canon L build standards and they are comparing a new design to one that's substantially older. The Sigma will always be a sigma and they have a reputation for mechanical failure and sloppy AF (a generalization and not pointed at this lens in particular).
Then there's a third group of guys who want a 35L but secretly want a new Canon version so that it's slightly better than the Siggi....which is totally silly when comparing the final images...
Either way, it's fun to see the drive and motivations in this thread. I'm in cat 1....but could easily tip into cat 3 once it's finally released and I get a big dose of lens envy :D
That puts me in group 1, I've had mine about two years now and it's a beautiful love story.

Those who have the Sigma seems to have the need to constantly point out that it's better than the 35L.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
That puts me in group 1, I've had mine about two years now and it's a beautiful love story.

Those who have the Sigma seems to have the need to constantly point out that it's better than the 35L.

Er, as per my prior post that puts me in group 4.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Arctic Photo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »

Er, as per my prior post that puts me in group 4.
That'a  good group to be in  ::)

I'm not very accomplished and only an amateur so the 35L will be more than enough for several years to come.

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2013, 01:43:24 PM »
S35 on amazon lightning for 699 right now. will have to get on the waitlist though if you want one since I believe it is 100% claimed at the moment.

jasonsim

• EOS M2
  • Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »
I am late to this posting, but must say that I am very happy with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art.  I used to have the Canon 35mm f/1.4L and thought it was great too. There was about a year gap when I did not have any 35mm prime. 

The Sigma I think produces a superior image in sharpness, color saturation and tone; not to mention the bokeh is very unique and surreal. 

Just check out this photo from an outdoor shoot:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:43:06 PM by jasonsim »
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »