October 21, 2014, 11:31:58 PM

Author Topic: Adobe Releases Lightroom 5.3 & DNG Converter 8.3  (Read 5074 times)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Releases Lightroom 5.3 & DNG Converter 8.3
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 06:29:46 PM »
I'm personally slow to migrate to new technology, so Adobe has already long since supported any model camera I buy. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has purchased a model before it is officially supported by Adobe, but that uses an existing RAW format, and what their experiences were when attempting to open those files in LR or PS.

I recently purchased the Sony a7r, Adobe PS CC & LR CC would not open the files initially, it took about 2 weeks after the Camera release before Adobe 5.3 release candidate became available, that's the initial Beta release of what we now have as an official 5.3 release.

Even Sony, to my knowledge, don't have a full-blown set of software to handle RAW files from the a7r, they have on their web site a very very basic set of software to open files, but it doesn't allow conversion to another format i.e.. RAW to DNG or TIFF.

This is one of the issues that have a lot of people upset with Adobe & the new Creative Cloud offering (PS CC & LR CC), if you don't take on the rental programme, at some point your stand alone software (LR4 & CS6 etc etc) may not receive the upgrades that allow you to open New Camera Files, as I initially found with the a7r RAW Files.

On the a7r as well, Sony do not supply the Camera with any software, no CD etc, your pretty well on your own, poor support in my view from Sony.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 06:29:46 PM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 08:27:26 PM »

I have not looked at the conversion process.  However, if lightroom can't read your cr2 files how does the converter read them,correctly.  Does the converter get upgraded sooner?
My workflow was to convert RAW to DNG via the updated stand-alone Adobe DNG Converter and then place the files in their final spot on my hard drive and then go to LR and select Add from the Import panel. It worked great, just an additional step. I also could not tether capture images into LR3 at the time as it did not recognize the 5d3.

As has already been mentioned, the camera manufacturers provide software with each camera, DPP in Canon's case and I have heard many say the images from DPP are superior to LR. I am not very experienced with DPP so I am not the best one to comment about it.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »
. I wish all the manufacturers would go with DNG natively in camera and get away from the proprietary nonsense.
The issue is that Major camera makers may want to add new camera features and do not want innovations limited by what Adobe allows in DNG.   Its a philosophy that lets Canon control its own destiny and not be limited by a committee or have to give trade secrets to a committee and lose a competitive advantage.  Canon is very secretive.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 08:34:28 PM »
. I wish all the manufacturers would go with DNG natively in camera and get away from the proprietary nonsense.
The issue is that Major camera makers may want to add new camera features and do not want innovations limited by what Adobe allows in DNG.   Its a philosophy that lets Canon control its own destiny and not be limited by a committee or have to give trade secrets to a committee and lose a competitive advantage.  Canon is very secretive.
I thought DNG was an open source format that happened to be created by Adobe. It would be great to have RAW or DNG as an option in the camera body. I wonder if the manufacturers could introduce a feature that somehow could hoop Adobe's ability to read the file and subsequently import it into LR/Bridge/PS. I would think Canon or Nikon or whoever would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did this.

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »
I recently purchased the Sony a7r, Adobe PS CC & LR CC would not open the files initially, it took about 2 weeks after the Camera release before Adobe 5.3 release candidate became available, that's the initial Beta release of what we now have as an official 5.3 release.

Do you know if the RAW files from the a7r are a different format than from other / previous Sony models? In the case of Canon, is there really any difference between CR2 files among their various models, other than the camera body identification in the EXIF data (and the actual raw data & JPEG preview image, of course)?

What Adobe ought to do is write a routine into PS and LR which -- if the RAW files being opened / imported are not supported in the installed release -- checks to see if DNG Converter is installed on the system, and if so, runs the files through the converter and then proceeds with processing as usual. The version of DNG Converter installed would have to support the camera from which the files originated, and the destination for the DNG files would have to be specified, either via a Preferences option or on a case-by-case basis. This would at least integrate the workflow a bit.
Photographic equipment

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »

I'd be curious to know when/what was the last addition that Canon made that wouldn't be supported by DNG.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »
I'd be curious to know when/what was the last addition that Canon made that wouldn't be supported by DNG.

Very unlikely there are any, just like the tiff-based cr2 dng allows you do add just about any data you want, they even support lossy mode (much better than hi-res jpeg) and floating point.

The reason why neither Canon nor DxO want cr2 near them if they can help it is simply that Adobe controls the format, it being "open" doesn't change this fact. You realize this if you read why DxO does use dng for cameras that use it natively, but doesn't for Canon (after converting in ACR) - their arguments change from post to post and are outright ridiculous, they simply don't want to give the real reason.

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »
This seems to have come at the right time for me as I bought an X100s a couple of days ago and I was having trouble with colour profiles. Seems to be a lot better now.

Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 02:32:47 AM »
What I like on the latest Rawconverter updates, that they still work as a plugin for CS6.
If I remember correct: in the past, in the time of CS3, CS4 and 5 the latest plugin was only for the actual version of the CS.
Do I remember correct?

Anyway: thanks for the info, and is already updated.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 02:32:47 AM »