December 18, 2014, 06:10:30 PM

Author Topic: CPS...do you indeed have to be a pro or can anyone sign up?  (Read 9010 times)

adamcoe

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
CPS...do you indeed have to be a pro or can anyone sign up?
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:42:27 PM »
Anyone have an idea how stringent Canon is about signing up for CPS? I have a 24-105L that got a small bit of sand in the focus ring while shooting on a windy day at the beach, so I wouldn't mind paying the hundred bucks and have it and my 60D cleaned...full disclosure I am not a pro...I've been paid to do the odd band shoot here and there, but nothing remotely serious.

canon rumors FORUM

CPS...do you indeed have to be a pro or can anyone sign up?
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:42:27 PM »

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: CPS...do you indeed have to be a pro or can anyone sign up?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 05:51:48 AM »
Qualification is depending on the equipment.
Look at Canon online, what gear is necessary to qualify.
And what the benefits are.
1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III,
Fuji X- E2, XF 23 1,4, XF 18- 55 2,8-4

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »
Anyone have an idea how stringent Canon is about signing up for CPS?

Pretty stringent I'd say, at least in the EU - you need to get to the required gear together to qualify for the cps level you want. They do state on their cps website that if you don't you can e-mail them and apply anyway for special circumstances, but that sounds like it's made for pros with a huge stock of gear who somehow fall in a gap in the cps setup and are allowed to a higher level anyway.

Edit: Note that cps gear changes all the time, old items are phased out - but to qualify you just need a serial number that nobody else has registered, so if you buy a completely broken 5d2 which is in a thousand pieces it's worth as much cps-wise as a a pristine, new 5d3 (that's for the EU cps criterias, US seems to differ).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:51:39 AM by Marsu42 »

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:26:11 AM »
How stringent they are is based on how honest you are.

There are two requirements, equipment and this;

"Professional Image Makers

Self-employed or an employee of a professional imaging business."

No one ever checked to see if I qualified. They take you on your word.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »
As others have stated, qualification level depends on gear, certain Canon equipment gets you points, you need enough points to qualify at a given level.  Since you mention 'paying the hundred bucks' I assume you're thinking Gold level, that means 20 points.  You mention a 60D and 24-105L, and I hope you have more than that - your 60D gets you no points, your 24-105L is worth 8 points, not even the 10 points you need for Silver level. 

But an even more important issue is this:

I have a 24-105L that got a small bit of sand in the focus ring while shooting on a windy day at the beach

Assuming you have the points to qualify, you can pay your hundred bucks…but for the issue you describe with your lens, you'd be taking advantage of the 20% repair discount (and maybe the 3-day turnaround), but not the free clean & check…that doesn't cover anything that requires them to do any disassembly. 

Quote from: CPS Terms and Conditions
11-point EF Lens Maintenance Service:
• Clean External Lens Optics
• Clean External Lens Body
• Check Lens Attachment and Removal
• Check Camera/Lens Communication
• Check External Lens Barrel
• Check Operation of Focus, Iris and Zoom Rings
• Check Operation of Tripod Collar (if applicable)
• Check Aperture Function
• Perform Simple Image Test (exposure, color balance, resolution)
• Tighten External Screws
• Verify Firmware Version and Update (if required)

I was at the Canon Service Center in Jamesburg, NJ earlier this year (I was in the area for business, and took my 1D X in person for the AF service recall).  While I was waiting (they did it for me in less than an hour), someone asked about CPS cleaning and the rep told him it was good for bodies (they clean the sensor, mirror, and focus screen), but basically worthless for lenses, that you were better off waiting until your lenses needed service, since they do all that clean/check stuff as part of that anyway, and you can certainly clean the front and rear elements and wipe off the barrel yourself.

I'm not sure how much they'll charge you for cleaning the sand out of the focus ring, but I am pretty sure it will be much less than $500, meaning spending $100 for a 20% repair discount isn't really going to be cost effective unless you have more gear that needs repair or plan to send multiple bodies in for cleaning (or send your 60D in several times).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »
The requirements are the CPS site:  While they do not actually checkup on you, they do expect that you are truthful.  The Nikon equivalent requires confirmation of your professional status by a existing member.
http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/about_cps/about.shtml
Canon Professional Services (CPS) provides exceptional benefits for individual full-time imaging professionals. CPS members receive exclusive phone and e-mail support, expedited and discounted services and repairs, equipment evaluation loans, service loans, on-site support at select events and shows, plus discounts on Canon Live Learning workshops, and more.
Points System                                 
 CPS assigned a points value to eligible equipment to better accommodate professionals, who own various types of Pro Canon equipment, achieve their desired membership level. Points are determined by the assigned point value of your professional Canon equipment (see Eligible CPS Product list). Points can be accrued to qualify for the various CPS membership levels.

adamcoe

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone...yeah I looked into it and I definitely don't qualify for CPS. Got a ballpark estimate (just over the web, they haven't seen the lens in person) from a shop in New Orleans (I work on a cruise ship sailing out of there) and they said it'd be in the 200-250 range to get it cleaned out and dealt with. It seemed perhaps a little (?) high as the lens itself only cost 700ish and I can't imagine it would take more than perhaps an hour and a half but I'll admit to being pretty out of my depth when it comes to these things. Or maybe Canon techs just have a great union :P

Anyway gang thanks for the info, much appreciated

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 11:08:36 PM »
If you have the money, you can play.
I am far from a pro (unless one lives on the block) but I am a CPS member.  It saves a lot on shipping and cleaning, service, etc.

sek

Anyone have an idea how stringent Canon is about signing up for CPS? I have a 24-105L that got a small bit of sand in the focus ring while shooting on a windy day at the beach, so I wouldn't mind paying the hundred bucks and have it and my 60D cleaned...full disclosure I am not a pro...I've been paid to do the odd band shoot here and there, but nothing remotely serious.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

emag

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 09:24:41 AM »
FWIW - I'm sure there are a number of shops that can do the work fast and at a reasonable price.  I've used Royal Camera Service in Illinois for lenses and bodies.  Fast and reasonable.  RCS is near Chicago, I'm in Florida. There have been other threads over the years regarding this topic.  You could also ask a local camera shop who they would recommend.  If you can hear/feel that sand while you're focusing you need to do something fast - sand is not the preferred lubricant for lenses.

Schruminator

• Rebel SL1
  • I'm just kidding, seriously.
    • View Profile
    • M Schrum Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 10:05:14 AM »
Are there any other benefits of joining CPS? That is, none of my gear has needed repairs and while cleaning is free a couple of times a year, shipping is not (if I recall)-- so it pretty much cancels out on my end.

So, besides a fancy neck strap, is there anything else an amateur photog like me is forgetting? I've read through the list, but I didn't feel like anything jumped out at me.
5D III | 14 2.8 L | 24 1.4 II L | 35 1.4 L | 50 1.2 L | 85 1.2 II L | 24-70 2.8 II L | 70-200 2.8 IS II L | 40 2.8 | 1.4x Mk. II T.C. | M Schrum Photography

stipotle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 11:01:24 AM »
Are there any other benefits of joining CPS? That is, none of my gear has needed repairs and while cleaning is free a couple of times a year, shipping is not (if I recall)-- so it pretty much cancels out on my end.

So, besides a fancy neck strap, is there anything else an amateur photog like me is forgetting? I've read through the list, but I didn't feel like anything jumped out at me.

CPS Loaners. With Gold, you can try out a body or lens for a little over a week for free. I think any model, one time. Free shipping to you (you pay the shipping back). I think with gold, shipping is free 1 way for everything.

I signed up when I needed a repair and it paid for itself.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 11:07:07 AM »

If you are a professional working and using your equipment every day, you are going to need service.  If you are a casual shooter, CPS is not aimed at you, and you might very well not get much benefit.

Schruminator

• Rebel SL1
  • I'm just kidding, seriously.
    • View Profile
    • M Schrum Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 11:35:41 AM »

CPS Loaners. With Gold, you can try out a body or lens for a little over a week for free. I think any model, one time. Free shipping to you (you pay the shipping back). I think with gold, shipping is free 1 way for everything.

I signed up when I needed a repair and it paid for itself.

Ah, I forgot about the loaners-- that might be fun. It's too bad I'm not closer to one of their centers so I could skip out on the shipping!
5D III | 14 2.8 L | 24 1.4 II L | 35 1.4 L | 50 1.2 L | 85 1.2 II L | 24-70 2.8 II L | 70-200 2.8 IS II L | 40 2.8 | 1.4x Mk. II T.C. | M Schrum Photography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 11:35:41 AM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 11:39:36 AM »
CPS is aimed for Professionals, and i'm sure if they were to find out that you were not a professional, you could lose your status.  Being both a professional and a CPS member, i find threads like these kind of sad, but, for those who take advantage and bend the rules for your own gain, karma always comes back around... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »

I qualify for Gold status and was happy to sign up when I needed a repair of my 200mm. And they were fine with me upgrading to gold after the lens broke.

Benefits: discount on the repair, sold the silly strap, free cleanings and a few loaners. Turned out to be a wash.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »