September 22, 2014, 04:38:42 AM

Author Topic: Eos M vs Fujifilm X100  (Read 5349 times)

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
Re: Eos M vs Fujifilm X100
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 09:01:59 AM »
And  my New toy , The Tiny Canon EOS-M  can use with my BIG BABE EF 600 mm  too. AND that is the BIG PLUS for me.
Surapon

Did you buy battery grip for the EOS-M too?  ;D

Yes, Dear Dylan.
I order hand grip from Amazon "Fotodiox"= 49.95 US dollars, and should in my hand  this coming Friday.
But The Tripods Grip , Canon GR-100TP, That my old Useless Grip for Canon A2E thousand years ago, and just use 1 time and put in the box for storage, never use again until 2 days ago.
Here are the photyos of Fotodiox Hand grip.
Have a great Sunday, Sir.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 09:01:59 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
And  my New toy , The Tiny Canon EOS-M  can use with my BIG BABE EF 600 mm  too. AND that is the BIG PLUS for me.
Surapon

Yes, Dear Dylan.
I order hand grip from Amazon "Fotodiox"= 49.95 US dollars, and should in my hand  this coming Friday.
But The Tripods Grip , Canon GR-100TP, That my old Useless Grip for Canon A2E thousand years ago, and just use 1 time and put in the box for storage, never use again until 2 days ago.
Surapon

You too Surapon, Have a great weekend.

Don't forget the "primary reason" you bought the M ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »
Surapon

Yes, Dear Dylan.
Surapon

You too Surapon, Have a great weekend.

Don't forget the "primary reason" you bought the M ;)

Ha, Ha, Ha, Dear Dylan-------After mess around for two days, I am forget the First Function of this Awesome/ Tiny EOS-M that I buy for, Just Add, Add, And Add equipments, More and more to Look and Heavy like my old 1DS MK I----Ha, Ha, Ha---Crazy Surapon.
But, I will use With 22 mm STM. Lens for just Point and shoot, Just for FUN.
Thanks
Surapon

dtaylor

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »
But I'll thrown in another thought for free - the X-100 is a camera that people want to use, whereas the Eos-M is a camera many people purchase simply because it is heavily discounted.

And then discover that they want to use it. There's a reason that the M, which has practically been forgotten by Canon USA, has such a strong following. I was one of the people who was hesitant about buying it even at the heavily discounted price, only to end up loving it and using it as much or more then my DSLRs.

And to the poster who claimed the Fuji 'blows away' the M on IQ: the X100s is a little bit better at high ISO. There's no real difference any where else. (What is it with photographers and hyperbole? "Blows away" would be a 5D3 at 3200 vs. a 20D at 3200. Tiny differences most will never notice even in huge prints != "blow away.")

As I see it there are three major differences between these cameras that would determine OP's choice.

* Viewfinder. M has none, X100 has one of the best. I find I do not miss a VF on the M, though to be fair I have DSLRs and use those with subject matter where I probably would miss a VF.

* Analog vs. touch screen control. This is a matter of personal preference, though admittedly most would prefer more physical controls. I like the M's touchscreen, but I do wish it had 2 dials for directly accessing shutter and aperture in manual mode.

* Lens interchangeability. Fuji X100s has one lens, the M has 3 dedicated and can take hundreds more via adapters. Notably, it is 100% AF/AE/aperture control compatible with Canon's EF/EF-S lenses via adapter.

Just depends on what you want out of the camera.

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Dear Friends.
Here are the sample of Night time( to night, my first time of this tiny Camera)  by EOS-M, 22 mm. F/ 2.0 STM. , Hand Held shooting at ISO= 6400, AV MODE at F= 8.0, at my home, total darkness sky. No post processing require.
Surapon

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 06:44:29 AM »
As I see it there are three major differences between these cameras that would determine OP's choice.

* Viewfinder. M has none, X100 has one of the best. I find I do not miss a VF on the M, though to be fair I have DSLRs and use those with subject matter where I probably would miss a VF.

* Analog vs. touch screen control. This is a matter of personal preference, though admittedly most would prefer more physical controls. I like the M's touchscreen, but I do wish it had 2 dials for directly accessing shutter and aperture in manual mode.

* Lens interchangeability. Fuji X100s has one lens, the M has 3 dedicated and can take hundreds more via adapters. Notably, it is 100% AF/AE/aperture control compatible with Canon's EF/EF-S lenses via adapter.

+1. These points summarize the key differences.  I have owned an EOS-M since July.  As with many others, I only bought it because of the discounted price and lens compatability.  After using it for awhile, I realized the M had a lot to offer and the it quickly became my camera of choice when I want to go light, and my backup body for my 6D.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:19:23 PM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
But I'll thrown in another thought for free - the X-100 is a camera that people want to use, whereas the Eos-M is a camera many people purchase simply because it is heavily discounted.

And then discover that they want to use it. There's a reason that the M, which has practically been forgotten by Canon USA, has such a strong following. I was one of the people who was hesitant about buying it even at the heavily discounted price, only to end up loving it and using it as much or more then my DSLRs.

And to the poster who claimed the Fuji 'blows away' the M on IQ: the X100s is a little bit better at high ISO. There's no real difference any where else. (What is it with photographers and hyperbole? "Blows away" would be a 5D3 at 3200 vs. a 20D at 3200. Tiny differences most will never notice even in huge prints != "blow away.")

I own both the M and the x100s. I can tell you that that on paper by all measureable specs, they would lead one to believe that the IQ isn't all that different. However, in actual usage, I find that images just look different. That isn't to say the noise levels are lower at various ISOs. Just saying that the final images that come out of the Fuji just look better (to my eye and most of my friends/loved ones).

FWIW, I haven't taken one still with the M for a while. I will say though that it is a nice quick video capture tool that I can set on a flat surface or my little joby minipod (in servo) to allow me to actually join my family in the moments.

What it boils down to for me is making images. There are plenty of things that the M brings to the table that the Fuji doesn't. Personally though, I found that most of those things aren't enough to make me reach for it....ever. The camera I have with me everyday is the Fuji. The ergonomics, image rendering, and differing feature set (for me) makes it the buddy camera for me since it is everywhere I go.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »

+1. These points summarize the key differences.  I have owned an EOS-M since July.  As with many others, I only bought it because of the discounted price and lens compatability.  After using it I realized it for awhile, I realized the M had a lot to offer and the it quickly became my camera of choice when I want to go light, and my backup body for my 6D.

+ 100 for me too, I just let my wife use my two old Point and shoot/ Pocket  cameras, And I use my 3 days old EOS-M from now as the Smart Pocket ( Large Pocket ) camera.
Surapon

wogg

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »
I think it should be added to the principle benefits that differentiate from an X100:

4) excellent (for the price) video output

5) ability to mount pretty much any alt lens in the world via adapter (e.g., shoot a video using an M mount lens from the 50s).

Obviously, the photo ergonomics cannot compare with the x100. But, I'd observe that its touch screen is really quite well done, better than any other I've used (sony, olympus, panasonic).

Once you bring X100s into the mix, that's a different story because the up tick in IQ (but thats a whole different price league).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »