October 21, 2014, 03:53:20 AM

Author Topic: Patent: Microadjustment Automated  (Read 9477 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Patent: Microadjustment Automated
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2014, 06:49:08 AM »
Automation of the AF adjustment

Magic Lantern dot_tune module does this, cost: zero, availability: now ... there may be concerns over precisions and whatnow, but I'm positive it's quick & worth a shot, esp. over manual attempts. Works for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2014, 06:49:08 AM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »

Magic Lantern dot_tune module does this, cost: zero, availability: now ... there may be concerns over precisions and whatnow, but I'm positive it's quick & worth a shot, esp. over manual attempts. Works for me.

Let's hope this isn't the last of the Magic Lantern advances that makes it into official Canon firmware.  Canon should be thankful for the ML team, as they give not only some great advances/flexibility to Canon cameras, they also give the "tuning/customizing" crowd something real and tangible to do to tweak their cameras in a non-destructive way.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2014, 05:26:21 AM »

Let's hope this isn't the last of the Magic Lantern advances that makes it into official Canon firmware.  Canon should be thankful for the ML team, as they give not only some great advances/flexibility to Canon cameras, they also give the "tuning/customizing" crowd something real and tangible to do to tweak their cameras in a non-destructive way.

+1

Hopefully one day Canikon will understand the 3rd parties ENRICH their systems, not THREATEN them. If one between Canon and Nikon fully supported Sigma and Tamron for the AF and compatibility, people might switch just because of that.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2014, 08:58:24 AM »
If one between Canon and Nikon fully supported Sigma and Tamron for the AF and compatibility, people might switch just because of that.

Exactly, that's why they won't do it :-p ... they care about profits, not about a user base buying just a body and then Sigma/Tamron lenses, Yongnuo flashes and 3rd party batteries. In the net profit, creating FUD is a sound decision unless people switch because they don't trust the brand and system anymore ... but Canon is far from that stage, despite the latest 3rd party battery tricks.

If you think about it from this perspective, ML is a thorn in their side, no way of telling how many people are happy with a Rebel and ML feature usability enhancements that would have bought a xxd or xd otherwise...

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2014, 10:30:31 AM »
If one between Canon and Nikon fully supported Sigma and Tamron for the AF and compatibility, people might switch just because of that.

Exactly, that's why they won't do it :-p ... they care about profits, not about a user base buying just a body and then Sigma/Tamron lenses, Yongnuo flashes and 3rd party batteries. In the net profit, creating FUD is a sound decision unless people switch because they don't trust the brand and system anymore ... but Canon is far from that stage, despite the latest 3rd party battery tricks.

If you think about it from this perspective, ML is a thorn in their side, no way of telling how many people are happy with a Rebel and ML feature usability enhancements that would have bought a xxd or xd otherwise...
The vast majority of people shoot with low end cameras, and the vast majority of those will not use Magic Lantern. They buy a basic camera with a kit lens ( sometimes two) and that's it..... The people who modify cameras are such a small percentage in the grand scheme of things that it just does not matter....

We members of this forum represent the fanatics.... There are 5825 members of this forum.... Canon sold about 10 million cameras last year.....the estimates are that there are at least 50 million people actively shooting with canon cameras....  That makes us about a tenth of a percent of the audience, and if you figure it by active members, we are less than a hundredth of a percent of the market.... A $20 off sale on T3's will probably have more impact than a concerted effort from us....

Somehow, I really don't think Canon is worried about magic lantern or our opinions....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:17:32 AM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »
Somehow, I really don't think Canon is worried about magic lantern or our opinions....

Absolutely, and that's fortunate for the ML guys as Canon has no financial loss - but for the enthusiast segment, I have to say I wouldn't have bought the 6d if ML wouldn't have an auto iso that allows faster shutter speeds in Av than the idiotic Canon defaults, I'm using this for 2/3 of my shots. Canon tried to differentiate cameras with this firmware cripple trick, as you can set faster speeds on 5d3 and esp. 1dx - but with ML, their marketing trick is worthless.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »
I really don't think Canon is worried about magic lantern or our opinions....

Our opinions clearly matter to Canon, that's why after 5 years of complaints that their sensors have two stops less DR at low ISO, they've finally released a new sensor with dramatically better low ISO DR.

Oh wait, they haven't done that. I guess you're right.

;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
Oh wait, they haven't done that. I guess you're right.

But maybe it's in the queue? Looking at the fw updates, they obviously do have an ear to the ground, for example auto iso on 7d 2.0 and ec in m plus faster min. av shutter on 1dx 2.0 ... but of course these things take their programers a day's work unlike exchanging sensor tech or licensing it.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »
But maybe it's in the queue?

Could be.  I bet we'll see more MP before more DR.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2014, 03:56:37 PM »

The dot tune approach is not accurate. I've tried using it on multiple occasions with all of my lenses in the 7D, and dot tune always results in incorrect AFMA (sometimes, wildly incorrect). Manually tuning and/or Focal are the best ways to tune so far. Automatic AFMA with CDAF+PDAF is probably the only way to really generate accurate AFMA settings.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »
The dot tune approach is not accurate.

Agreed.  I've tried it on my 1D X (the 'original', obviously not the ML implementation), and the results were unreliable.  OTOH, manual AFMA with a LensAlign Pro and FoCal give accurate results that are equivalent to each other.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »