September 22, 2014, 08:49:00 PM

Author Topic: Renaming and storing photos  (Read 4479 times)

Canon1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Renaming and storing photos
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 07:31:27 AM »
Also will mention that I use collections extensively.  All of my best shots are organized into collections.  This way I can easily look at all of my moose shots or great egret shots or landscapes or whatever without having to peruse through my database.

Another thing I noticed on here is that it appears a lot of people are leaving raw files in the camera format of .cr2 .
I have gone to converting all files to .dng so that in the future if certain raw formats are no longer supported I will still be able to access and edit all of my old files without needing to convert to something else.  digital negative is a universal format and will be supported long after raw versions for specific camera bodies.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 07:31:27 AM »

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »
Canon1, good idea on the dng convert, gave we had any camera raw support dropped yet to date?

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »
Nonsense, that is just supposition, there is no indication whatsoever that DNG will outlive .CR2. But even if it does, .CR2 is not going to become unreadable or unconvertible overnight. Besides, the programs that convert the .CR2 to DNG will always support .CR2, and .CR (the Canon RAW format before .CR2) and TIFF, the Canon RAW format that predates them both.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 09:08:06 PM »
Nonsense, that is just supposition, there is no indication whatsoever that DNG will outlive .CR2. But even if it does, .CR2 is not going to become unreadable or unconvertible overnight. Besides, the programs that convert the .CR2 to DNG will always support .CR2, and .CR (the Canon RAW format before .CR2) and TIFF, the Canon RAW format that predates them both.

I have also read that the ce2 to dng converter just put a wraper on the cr2 file so you still need to know the cr2

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 11:00:43 PM »
When importing using lightroom, its ok to put them into one folder, but religiously use key words.  Many prefer to file by date and event, as well as using keywords.

There are as many opinions as there are photographers, and most will say to use what works for you.  Lightroom is great for searching by many different parameters.

photo212

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 05:03:52 PM »
Pictures >> 2013 >> 13.07.04 (fireworks) >> img_1203.cr2 through img_####.cr2
edited images get renamed fireworks_1203.jpg (and *.psd) and placed in the same folder

Then later, when I'm looking for the original to fireworks_1203.jpg, I simply search on *1203.jpg and find it. Sure there are many other files matching, but chances are narrowed that any 1203 file is of a firework. Even if you specialize in fireworks, you'll be able to find that one original in a hurry.

File converters will be around for a long, long time. Your bigger problem is Photoshop not recognizing a newer file format on a new er camera, and having to use their CC as your only option.

alexturton

• EOS M2
  • I shoot what i find interesting; nothing else
    • View Profile
    • My flickr
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:11 AM »
On importing I organise my in folders lightroom as follows:

Top level (e.g. "Working")
year (e.g. "2013")
Month (e.g.  "2013_09")
Day (e.g. "2013_09_15")

this way even if you view the folders outside of lightroom they are always in date order.

Then lightroom imports into each days folder. Within that folder I might sub sort into image type e.g. if I've been to the zoo I might separate out monkeys to birds.

Then once a batch of RAWS are editted I move the folder into a similar structure set of folders but under a "done" top level. On moving the folder I export all pictures to iPhoto as JPEGS. Periodically I move the "done" folder to a backup hard disk.

I give pictures names in iPhoto when I upload them to flickr, but I never rename the files because I can't see the point/merrit
Bodies: 5d mk iii, 60d
Primes: 24L 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, 40 pancake, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 ii, 8mm fisheye, lensbaby, 100L macro.
Zooms: 16-35 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 70-200 2.8 is ii, 120-400

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:11 AM »