July 31, 2014, 05:49:56 PM

Author Topic: Rubber Hoods  (Read 1357 times)

androiduk

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Rubber Hoods
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »
I wass thinking of trying to find a soft rubber hood instead of the hard plastic one I already have. Although I'm pretty careful I still occasionally bang the hood against something and I thought a rubber one would absorb impact better. Has anyone used one for any length of time? My biggest concerns would be how they hold up in very cold/hot weather and whether or not they would warp on the ends.

canon rumors FORUM

Rubber Hoods
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Rubber Hoods
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
http://www.meritline.com/lens-hood-55mm-3-stage-soft-rubber-lens-hood---p-61864.aspx

I had one of these for a while with my initial lenses of a 18-55 and a 55-250.

I liked it... it fit easily in my bag at the time and it did the job of preventing light flares... BUT it wouldn't do jack squat if I dropped my body/lens to the ground.  It attaches via the lens filter grooves, so if you have that in combination of a UV filter... ok... there is some protection of the element. 

As for quality... I think it worked really well.  There wasn't ever a rip, and I don't recall cold or hot weather affecting it... it never melted (but I don't recall what extreme temperatures I had my gear in).

As for warping... I think I had that rubber hood for 2 years and I didn't see any warping. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:58:48 AM »
I agree, a rubber hood is not going to provide too much physical protection.

In my half vast experience, I found the rubber hoods to be better suited for the wider angle lenses.

One tip, if the rubber hood is one of those extendable ones, don't store it scrunched up.  I prematurely wore out one of mine because I stored it contracted and that put some stress on the material.

My opinion?  Use a metal/plastic hood when ever possible/practical. The only time a rubber hood excels is when taking photographs through windows.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »
The only time a rubber hood excels is when taking photographs through windows.

+1 (Although wrapping the sleeve of a sweater or something like that around the front of the regular hood does a good job at cutting out reflections, too.)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:36:31 PM »
I agree, a rubber hood is not going to provide too much physical protection.

In my half vast experience, I found the rubber hoods to be better suited for the wider angle lenses.

One tip, if the rubber hood is one of those extendable ones, don't store it scrunched up.  I prematurely wore out one of mine because I stored it contracted and that put some stress on the material.

My opinion?  Use a metal/plastic hood when ever possible/practical. The only time a rubber hood excels is when taking photographs through windows.

+ 10 for Me Too, Dear Mr. AcutancePhotography,  " The only time a rubber hood excels is when taking photographs through windows."---Special on the Airplane's window, That is the most important Tool that I must have to shoot the beautiful sky above the earth, With out get the reflection from the in cabin light.
Surapon

PS, My TRICKS = Never use the Big DSLR and The BIG Lens on the Airplane, Some One can stop you = The Rule of some  AirLines , do not take any Public Photos in the Flight that include the People or the Staffs. Yes, I use my Small point and shoot Camera, But just when  some one do not see me during my photography time.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:41:34 PM by surapon »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »
I wass thinking of trying to find a soft rubber hood instead of the hard plastic one I already have. Although I'm pretty careful I still occasionally bang the hood against something and I thought a rubber one would absorb impact better. Has anyone used one for any length of time? My biggest concerns would be how they hold up in very cold/hot weather and whether or not they would warp on the ends.

I have a cheap rubber hood for my 50 1.8. Lenses like that are better off with flexible rubber hoods, since a plastic hood will (and does) rip the front element off if stressed. It has become discolored and slightly misshapen, but is still perfectly usable after 2 years. And it is a nice cushion for the lens inside the bag (folded up).

Special on the Airplane's window, That is the most important Tool that I must have to shoot the beautiful sky above the earth, With out get the reflection from the in cabin light.
Surapon

Nice pics, Surapon!

Although wrapping the sleeve of a sweater or something like that around the front of the regular hood does a good job at cutting out reflections, too.

Great tip, thanks!
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »
I've used rubber lens hoods on my FD lenses for decades.  They generally held up well and I always folded it all they back to store the lens.

Most of these lenses had 52, 55, or 58 mm filter tfhreads.  Most of my EF lenses have thread sizes larger than 58mm.  I find rubber hoods for these lenses too inconveniently large in diameter and I prefer the plastic hoods.

I can't say which offers greater protection during a fall, but both offer good protection against bumps when carrying the camera with a shoulder strap.
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot S100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »

DavidD

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • Nature's Nobility in Award Winning Fine Art Images
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
Good question.

I've been using rubber lens hoods for a few years and have only found two drawbacks.

But overall they give me more confidence that the lens won't get hurt (thick rubber after all)
and that the lens hood won't break or get lost.

And they let me stuff my long lens in a camera bag without taking the hood off.
The lens hood just smushes up (technical term) nicely.

1. They do "vignette" (meaning corners tips are solid black)
if you don't adjust them carefully.
They have three settings so you can back them off to eliminate this "vignetting."

2. They are so cheap, I'm trying to cut the rubber to mimic the lens hood
"leaves" or petals from the plastic wide angle lens.

The bother is that these hoods screw on so they don't always line up
exactly where they were when I cut them. (Hint to manufacturers: I'll
buy several if you can do this for us.)

The bottom line is I use the rubber lens hoods 95% of the time
over the perfectly good plastic hoods that came with the lenses.
The remaining 5% is for wide angle when the sun is right on the
cusp of lighting up the front lens.

Here's the 77mm version that I use.

http://www.camera-filters.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=483_724

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:47:26 PM by DavidD »
Its the Light !
Nature's Nobility in Award Winning Fine Art Images
http://www.InspiringLandscapes.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »